It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange lights on dwarf planet Ceres have scientists perplexed

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 09:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: raikata
I know it's probably not artificial, but look at it from this perspective : The bright spot is in the middle of a crater, which happens to be in the middle of the dwarf planet itself.

Depending what angle you're taking the photo from, every crater is in the "middle" of the dwarf planet.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 11:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Not trying to be clever...just came across to you that way. You got my motives wrong. But it's okay. I forgive you.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 12:25 AM
link   
The scientists are perplexed, really? Isn't it a time to tell us the truth? Such signs are noticed on Moon or Mars but they chose not to speak about it. Perhaps now they will say a crater (2-3 of them) with special composition reflexed the sunlight in the direction of the camera.

I think 21st century humanity deserves more than that level of "honesty" after incalculable sufferings carried by previous and this generations. Enough is enough. Let the contact happen and the humanity to have the choice to accept it. Not the presidents, but everyone.

It is absurd a president would be able to sign a secret treaty with the Grey, but the Pleiadians would have to wait for the humanity's free will. Where is the free will with the Grey, or other ET who helped Nazi Germany. Perhaps Stalin also had ET at his disposal, if amid the starvation his scientists were able to build a rocket to reach the moon (although not started). Nobody asks how. It is obvious the superpowers were aided by ET. Without our free will or knowledge.

It is a time these or other ET to give a fair share from the benefits to the humans, BEFORE most of humanity goes off line of the game called incarnated life.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 12:31 AM
link   
If you look carefully, you see smaller versions of these reflections in the center of a couple of the larger craters. Perhaps the surface is made of a coal-like material. When a meteor hits the surface it reacts with this material, forming..DIAMONDS. Is this possible?...Huge diamonds?

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 12:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Baltazar84

What's more probable? Something shining bright lights at our spacecraft, or some natural phenomena?
Remember occam's razor...

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 12:37 AM
link   
a reply to: 2012newstart

i was following your post until you mentioned "greys and treaties" and "Pleiadians"...

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Just a few short days and if everything works as planned we will have high resolution images of Ceres. Then I hope much of this conjecture will abate. The fact may soon be firmly established that this tiny moon/planetoid contains more water than the Earth is very interesting to me.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Well it looks absolutely nothing like the BS images that have been circulated around the net where they show it covered in water. It look very much like the moon. I am however looking forward to seeing more imagery and finding out more information.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 04:37 AM
link   

There is the patches of ice theory and I remember reading about another plausible theory, but are we to believe this is really the first patch of ice we've glimpsed in the history of viewing the planet, which I think is actually a moon? I find the "aliens waving flashlights" possibility a slight bit more believable at this point.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 04:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Brainiac

What's more probable? Something shining bright lights at our spacecraft, or some natural phenomena?

I've got to go with something shining bright lights at our spacecraft, because if it were any natural phenomena, we'd have seen something remotely like this at least once before. This cannot be the first bit of ice or coal that we've spotted. Just so unlikely. It's probably a mining operation and those lights are illuminating the area. Let's see if they finish up soon and go in to see if we notice any excavation.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 06:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: SEANO
Well it looks absolutely nothing like the BS images that have been circulated around the net where they show it covered in water. It look very much like the moon. I am however looking forward to seeing more imagery and finding out more information.

Which images are you talking about that shows it covered in water?

I know that NASA had put out this drawing (below) a couple of years ago showing the layer of water-ice that they believe is below the dusty surface crust of Ceres, but I don't know of one that shows the surface covered with water:

Source:
NASA -- Ceres' Overview

edit on 3/1/2015 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 08:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Loveaduck

There is the patches of ice theory and I remember reading about another plausible theory, but are we to believe this is really the first patch of ice we've glimpsed in the history of viewing the planet, which I think is actually a moon? I find the "aliens waving flashlights" possibility a slight bit more believable at this point.

It's neither a planet nor a moon. It's a dwarf planet like Pluto and no one is shining lights. It's just an area that's reflecting back more light probably due to ice but it might also be a highly reflective mineral.
edit on 1-3-2015 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 08:31 AM
link   

I've got to go with something shining bright lights at our spacecraft, because if it were any natural phenomena, we'd have seen something remotely like this at least once before.

We have, you just weren't aware of it.

That said, we've only just begun to really explore our solar system. There are no doubt plenty of other mysteries to be found but just because something is a mystery doesn't mean it's due to aliens. Why is that the first place a lot of you go?

So far all the mysteries of our solar system have turned out to be natural occurrences.

Would I love there to be a monolith or lights on some object out there? YOU BET!!!!!!

But I am not silly enough to rush to that possibility based on nothing except an overly sensational headline on a site looking for clicks.
edit on 1-3-2015 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: and14263
Here you go sir:

Can we get the scale of these lights? This is shot 29,000 miles away and Ceres is 590 miles across. How big are these spots?

ETA: These spots most be massively bright! For reference the ISS is 250 miles above Earth's surface, and we've all seen pictures city lights from the ISS.

I'm not sure how far away from Earth you can be to still see out city lights? 29,000 miles? Is it possible these are lights?
edit on 1-3-2015 by game over man because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: JadeStar

I've got to go with something shining bright lights at our spacecraft, because if it were any natural phenomena, we'd have seen something remotely like this at least once before.

We have, you just weren't aware of it.

That said, we've only just begun to really explore our solar system. There are no doubt plenty of other mysteries to be found but just because something is a mystery doesn't mean it's due to aliens. Why is that the first place a lot of you go?

So far all the mysteries of our solar system have turned out to be natural occurrences.

Would I love there to be a monolith or lights on some object out there? YOU BET!!!!!!

But I am not silly enough to rush to that possibility based on nothing except an overly sensational headline on a site looking for clicks.

That said, we've only just begun to really explore our solar system.
So true, so true. People are now only starting to back away from the big bang theory, and back to the "No beginning", beginning. www.space.com...

Our theories about the universe are a wast of time unless you know a bit about how a solar system is formed, The old cart before the horse mentality. After all, the Universe is comprised of smaller units and we should have a working knowledge of them before guessing at how the Universe was put together.

just because something is a mystery doesn't mean it's due to aliens. Why is that the first place a lot of you go?
I personally do not jump on the "Alien" band wagon off the bat. But...

In our solar system, you have natural and UN-natural. We have a bunch of real estate floating around space that got here by a natural process. That is, natural in as far as we can comprehend. It was here far before mankind existed and is the foundation we all walk on. Some might assume unnatural is the influences of the inclusion of intelligent life forms, and their impact of presence and technology, into the natural world. Sounds good to me.

We, intelligent life forms, found we could manipulate the natural world via technology. Some here believe through direct knowledge, or, common sense, rumors, myths, that not all the "Intelligent" life forms present in our solar system have been identified publicly, or accepted into our very very limited reality. Hence, "Alien" to us.

So, jumping to the alien wild card, is a natural, mistake

I have my own theory concerning the origin of the "Lights". And it has nothing to do with "Aliens"

What we have here, is a very very old, case of "failure to communicate".

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: game over manWhat is of interest to me is the main "bright" area is dead center of the impact/ crater, area. It may be that the impact has "Dusted" or removed dust in one area so that the substrate can be seen.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: All Seeing Eye

To think right below all of the surface of Ceres is a "bright snowball" is pretty interesting...how deep below the rock do you think the bright ice begins? A few feet? To me it looks like snow, and not ice. You can see our clouds and snow all the way from the Moon. Being this close to Ceres I would say these spots are bright white as opposed to ice.

Nasa Black Marble is from 512 miles away from Earth, so you can imagine 29,000 miles you definitely won't see any lights. Also I just realized you wouldn't see any lights at all if it was day time, so I think this Ceres image rules out lights.

Now the volcano theory, it looks like a crater so either hit from an asteroid or and extinct volcano. I don't know why it would be active in the center. Volcanos that are active are more like mountains waiting to erupt. Once they are extinct they form into craters, it doesn't look like a volcano to me.

Could it be a snowy pole on the planet?

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: game over man

To think right below all of the surface of Ceres is a "bright snowball" is pretty interesting...how deep below the rock do you think the bright ice begins?
Just a ball park, 5 - 600 feet.

All these craters look odd. Some are just too large to be explained by a meteorite hit. Odd.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 06:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People

originally posted by: FlyInTheOintment
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

Isn't it funny that we accept there is water everywhere in Space these days.

Didn't people/scientists spend decades insisting only Earth (and a few NON-ELECTRICAL DAMMIT comets) had water?

Science had speculated (and even thought it was probable) for a very long time now that water existed elsewhere other than Earth, but scientist didn't actually find other water until they had probes that could actually look. I mean, I suppose they could have said "water is everywhere" before they actually confirmed water is everywhere, but that (keeping with the scientific method) would have been speculation -- a hypothesis -- and not really "proven".

This is almost correct.

You left out the fact that well before we had probes going around the solar system we detected water from ground based observatories spectroscopically.
We also detected it and other organic molecules in interstellar clouds.

That was back in the 1960s and 70s.

And yes, water is one of the most common molecules in the universe since it's made up of two of the most common element (hydrogen) and one of another common element (oxygen).

So yeah, all that sci fi about aliens coming to Earth for the water is pretty silly.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 06:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People

originally posted by: FlyInTheOintment
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

Isn't it funny that we accept there is water everywhere in Space these days.

Didn't people/scientists spend decades insisting only Earth (and a few NON-ELECTRICAL DAMMIT comets) had water?

Science had speculated (and even thought it was probable) for a very long time now that water existed elsewhere other than Earth, but scientist didn't actually find other water until they had probes that could actually look. I mean, I suppose they could have said "water is everywhere" before they actually confirmed water is everywhere, but that (keeping with the scientific method) would have been speculation -- a hypothesis -- and not really "proven".

This is almost correct.

You left out the fact that well before we had probes going around the solar system we detected water from ground based observatories spectroscopically.
We also detected it and other organic molecules in interstellar clouds.

That was back in the 1960s and 70s.

And yes, water is one of the most common molecules in the universe since it's made up of two of the most common element (hydrogen) and one of another common element (oxygen).

So yeah, all that sci fi about aliens coming to Earth for the water is pretty silly.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join