It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sun Is Extremely Quiet, Scientists Worry We Are Entering Ice Age

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+18 more 
posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 04:27 AM
link   

The flatlining of solar X-ray output in recent days – Courtesy NOAA/Space Weather Prediction Center

The sun is currently experiencing its weakest solar cycle in over a century according to scientists. “The sun is flatlining. For the 6th day in a row, solar activity remains very low. No sunspots are flaring, and the sun’s X-ray output has flatlined” says spaceweather.com Scientists say that if the solar flatlining continues it may be an indication we are about to enter into a mini ice-age.

“There have been two notable historical periods with decades-long episodes of low solar activity,” continues vencoreweather.com. “The first period is known as the “Maunder Minimum”, named after the solar astronomer Edward Maunder, and it lasted from around 1645 to 1715. The second one is referred to as the “Dalton Minimum”, named for the English meteorologist John Dalton, and it lasted from about 1790 to 1830. “Both of these historical periods coincided with below-normal global temperatures in an era now referred to by many as the “Little Ice Age”. “If this trend continues for the next couple of cycles, then there would likely be more talk of another “grand minimum” for the sun."

SOURCE

Has anyone heard this? Honestly, this doesn't shock me at all if its true. The weather lately is extremely bi-polar.

It also goes against the whole global warming bandwagon........
edit on 26-2-2015 by Bloodydagger because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 04:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Bloodydagger

Interesting find. S&F. But this goes against the Globalwarming scare, doesn't it?

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Hard to reconcile this with the force fed Global Warming stuff.

+3 more 
posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 04:34 AM
link   
If this comes to be, then to be literal & figurative, sounds cool to me

I won't knock the opportunity to watch the anthro global warming freaks have a conniption fit over how their propaganda is suddenly proven at least mostly wrong (not denying pollution causes some problems, just saying it's not the sole cause like others would have us believe)

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 04:36 AM
link   
a reply to: IndependentOpinion

Goes against it or is it just a co-factor in climate change?

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 04:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Lucid Lunacy

I don't know, I'm not a scientist, so don't know all the factors.

But if I might add, and I hope this is not too much off topic.

The atmosphere is heating up, and some of the scares is that the ocean levels will rise, and the heat will become unbearable. (Just my observation). But there is somethings that should be looked at.

- If you fill a glass with ice and water, and measure the water level, and wait for the ice to melt, the water level will be the same, because the ice expands, and the expanded amount is above the water level.

-Another thing is, like we have here in the Cape (South Africa), the temperature is cooler in the summer, because as the ice from the south pole melts, the water cools down, and the coastal winds cool down the area.

-The only reason the water level is in fact rising a bit, is due to the ice on the land melting away. This will also cool down the environment. And (again, just my observation), the ice and snow on mountains like K2 and Everest will melt at a slower rate because of is extremely high altitude.

Just my, and n few other people's views.
edit on 26-2-2015 by IndependentOpinion because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 04:48 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 04:52 AM
link   
I went to vencoreweather.com since it was quoted. Found the entry on their site.

Finally, if history is a guide, it is safe to say that weak solar activity for a prolonged period of time can have a negative impact on global temperatures in the troposphere which is the bottom-most layer of Earth’s atmosphere - and where we all live. There have been two notable historical periods with decades-long episodes of low solar activity. The first period is known as the “Maunder Minimum”, named after the solar astronomer Edward Maunder, and it lasted from around 1645 to 1715. The second one is referred to as the “Dalton Minimum”, named for the English meteorologist John Dalton, and it lasted from about 1790 to 1830. Both of these historical periods coincided with below-normal global temperatures in an era now referred to by many as the “Little Ice Age”. In addition, research studies in just the past couple of decades have found a complicated relationship between solar activity, cosmic rays, and clouds on Earth. This research suggests that in times of low solar activity where solar winds are typically weak; more cosmic rays reach the Earth’s atmosphere which, in turn, has been found to lead to an increase in certain types of clouds that can act to cool the Earth.

Outlook
The increasingly likely outcome for another historically weak solar cycle continues the recent downward trend in sunspot cycle strength that began over twenty years ago during solar cycle 22. If this trend continues for the next couple of cycles, then there would likely be more talk of another “grand minimum” for the sun. Some solar scientists are already predicting that the next solar cycle, #25, will be even weaker than this current one. However, it is just too early for high confidence in those predictions since some solar scientists believe that the best predictor of future solar cycle strength involves activity at the sun’s poles during a solar minimum and the next solar minimum is still likely several years away.

edit on 26-2-2015 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 04:53 AM
link   

www.skepticalscience.com...

In the last 35 years of global warming, the sun has shown a slight cooling trend. Sun and climate have been going in opposite directions. In the past century, the Sun can explain some of the increase in global temperatures, but a relatively small amount.

edit on 26-2-2015 by Plugin because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 04:57 AM
link   
interesting ill look into this...

+3 more 
posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 04:59 AM
link   
It is a 6 day period the article is about. Is it good science to base assumptions off of less than a weeks worth of data?

Is that website known for good science or reporting or is it known for something else?

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 05:05 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Well if it does happen, I am not worried. Here are my reasons for not worrying and to kind of be happy about it:

1) The Global Warming brigade will shut up for a while.

2) If human civilization survived easily through the last 2, with no technology etc, then we should be completely fine.

3) The 2022 World Cup could be moved back to the summer.

4) Mobile phone networks can not use The Sun as an excuse for bad coverage.

5) My car will not get so hot when parked up.

Please take these with a pinch of salt

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 05:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

Well spaceweather.com is where they quoted that bit from. It wasn't them but vercoreweather which discussed the 'mini ice age' implications. I just had fun going to spaceweather.com and clicking through their archives in one day increments to read about the Sun's status each day. Looks like low solar activity is the reoccurring theme. Click here it starts on Feb 18th and is the

"THE SUN IS FLATLINING: For the 6th day in a row, solar activity remains very low. No sunspots are flaring, and the sun's X-ray output has flatlined. NOAA forecasters estimate a scant 1% chance of significant solar flares on Feb. 18th."

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 05:50 AM
link   
We could be entering another Maunder Minimum, but it's unlikely we'll see the same cooling effect due to the much larger quantity of atmospheric CO2 there is now.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 06:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
If this comes to be, then to be literal & figurative, sounds cool to me

I won't knock the opportunity to watch the anthro global warming freaks have a conniption fit over how their propaganda is suddenly proven at least mostly wrong (not denying pollution causes some problems, just saying it's not the sole cause like others would have us believe)

EH? A COOLING effect from the sun whilst the world is still GETTING WARMER.....DUH !!!!!!

Seems to me without the current low activity of the sun things would be worse.

Oh hang on that is exactly what was stated in a paper I read when I followed the links

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 06:28 AM
link   
It seems strange to me that the sun is in a solar minimum with few solar flares. I've been monitoring the citizen's band since August of last year, and almost every day since, without fail, there has been an extreme amount of "skip" on the air.

Skip is when the sky waves propagated by CB antennas bound off the ionosphere and return to earth thousands of miles away. This happens when the ionosphere is excited by sun spots and solar flares. The noise level goes way up and you can heard conversations all over the U.S. and Mexico during the day. I've even heard talk from western Europe early on just before or around sunrise.

So this makes me wonder how much solar activity can cause radio waves to skip? I guess that will be another research project for me.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 06:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: IndependentOpinion

Interesting find. S&F. But this goes against the Globalwarming scare, doesn't it?

No. While the topic of Global warming's existance and whether or not it is man made is a debate for another thread.

It should be made clear that the Global warming argument is based on a changing earth and it's changing atmosphere. Not solar output.

The article here is telling us the sun is not outputting as much energy as usual therefor earth could cool down, regardless of a "global warming" issue.

So putting this article aside. Global Warming could still be a very real problem and this thread isn't an argument against it other than in the literal sense of the words. Because they are unrelated.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Well, with Antarctic sea ice being at its highest level 'since records began' the sea ice might lower the sea level somewhat?

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 08:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi
It is a 6 day period the article is about. Is it good science to base assumptions off of less than a weeks worth of data?

Is that website known for good science or reporting or is it known for something else?

Is it good science to think we know our planet after only 100 years of semi-accurate data and computer models?

If CO2 drives temperature, why hasn't the temp gone up with the CO2?

The core belief of the entire alarmist movement is that CO2 is the devil. And our CO2 levels continue to climb, yet temps have been flat for 17 years.

Bottom line is that Global Warming is an establishment cause. And as my sociology prof used to say, when the kids with beards and tie dye start pushing establishment causes, the war has been lost.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join