It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Public Religous posts

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

The religious did not invent morals.
They have always been with us part of our evolution.
(blimey which thread am I on lol.)
edit on 26-2-2015 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
a reply to: ketsuko

The religious did not invent morals.
They have always been with us part of our evolution.
(blimey which thread am I on lol.)

I said ... that their morals are shaped by their faith. I said you can't scrub religion out of those institutions without scrubbing the faithful entirely and barring them from participating. I derive my morality in part from my faith as do other people of faith.
edit on 26-2-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Evolution told me to take everything from my neighbor because I can. Evolution would tell me I'm smarter then the guy next door so I should sneak into his house and take his stuff because he's weaker and wasn't prepared. Don't worry I think evolution is a real theory but survival of the fittest isn't moral and in my opinion religion/spiritualism is a way to sway from animalistic tendencies

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
Ladies and gentlemen, the New Atheists. Millenial-style.

do not presume that this roth1 person speaks for all atheists anymore than enochwasright/superiored/alephbet spoke for YOU or your fellow believers.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI
a reply to: boymonkey74

Evolution told me to take everything from my neighbor because I can. Evolution would tell me I'm smarter then the guy next door so I should sneak into his house and take his stuff because he's weaker and wasn't prepared. Don't worry I think evolution is a real theory but survival of the fittest isn't moral and in my opinion religion/spiritualism is a way to sway from animalistic tendencies

where does evolution say to do those things?
edit on 26-2-2015 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: JDmOKI

Says you. How do you know that morality isn't an evolutionary advantage to help individual members of our species survive longer. Is it any wonder that most moral codes contain the same basic ideas? Clearly morality allows humans to work better in groups and accomplish goals, providing a fitter living condition for our species to survive and propagate. The fittest in "suvival of the fittest" doesn't necessarily mean might makes right.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

History would disagree with you entirely.

Huns, Mongols, Romans, Greeks, Nazis

before that modern humans against neanderthals

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI
a reply to: Krazysh0t

History would disagree with you entirely.

Huns, Mongols, Romans, Greeks, Nazis

before that modern humans against neanderthals

an oversimplified exaggeration of the role evolution played in the socio-psychological development of our species. they did not find instructions for invading and conquering one another in a book on evolution. nor does evolution at any point attempt to justify or condone such historical events and their philosophical implications. it merely explains the biological mechanisms rather than social and political nuances.

apples and oranges bruh.
edit on 26-2-2015 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Evolution told me to take everything from my neighbor because I can. Evolution would tell me I'm smarter then the guy next door so I should sneak into his house and take his stuff because he's weaker and wasn't prepared.

Right. Lets just pretend murder, rape, and pedophilia isn't condoned in the Bible so you can make a solid case here...

Also evolution doesn't say any of that. That's your inference from the notion a scientific worldview implies a lack of morality. A very unsubstantiated stance. In fact, the evidence clearly shows otherwise.
edit on 26-2-2015 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Lucid Lunacy

The problem is that you look at my post and think i'm defending religion, which i'm not. I'm not saying that science is the reason that people cause harm or take from otherS, what I'm stating is that the strong take from the weak. or does that not happen because we're in the modern age of scientific enlightenment? is this not an example of survival of the fittest?

and where in the bible does it tell me to rape, murder, and get with children?
edit on 26-2-2015 by JDmOKI because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   

The problem is that you look at my post and think i'm defending religion, which i'm not

Well yeah…

You made absurd claims about evolution and then said:

in my opinion religion/spiritualism is a way to sway from animalistic tendencies

I took it as an attack on the non-religious just as much as a defense for the religious.

and where in the bible does it tell me to rape, murder, and get with children?

What the Bible is telling you to do is up to your interpretation. Then there is the whole New Covenant thing. My point is more that this religious canon is ripe with moral atrocities so it’s more than ironic considering your post.

Numbers 31:13-18 NIV
Here is one of many instances in the OT. This is Moses condoning murder, rape, and pedophilia:

13 Moses, Eleazar the priest and all the leaders of the community went to meet them outside the camp. 14 Moses was angry with the officers of the army—the commanders of thousands and commanders of hundreds—who returned from the battle.

15 “Have you allowed all the women to live?” he asked them. 16 “They were the ones who followed Balaam’s advice and enticed the Israelites to be unfaithful to the Lord in the Peor incident, so that a plague struck the Lord’s people. 17 Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, 18 but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

what I'm stating is that the strong take from the weak

Something religious people do as well. In fact considering most of the World is religious I think it's safe to say more religious people are guilty of this than non-religious people or even ardent supporters of evolution. How does our knowledge of evolution alter that?

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   

I'm not here to debate the old testament. Yes, lots of horrible things happened 3000+ years ago and people wrote it down along with their religious interpretations. Always the OT.... go ask a Jew how they interpret the Torah.

I think humans act in self preservation but this has gotten horribly off topic. PEOPLE do horrible things

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Yes people do horrible things. To suggest our understanding of evolution has this absolute corollary to those horrible actions is rather silly.

I'm not here to debate the old testament.

You asked where in the Bible. I replied.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Let me ask you from your posts you're obviously atheist, why are you lurking in the religious forums?

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 08:19 PM
link   

I don't regret being rude but i really wish you could block the religious section on ATS. But how many Jews do you see raping murdering and killing women? Cherry picking the OT is really a sucker punch tactic.

I'm not religious i'm just an observer of two sides arrogance and hypocrisy

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 08:30 PM
link   

You asked me where in the Bible. I complied with your request. You then said you didn't want to discuss the OT, and now you're throwing out comments about it. You're all over the place man.

Cherry picking? Okay. Doesn't change the fact The Bible is rife with verses just that horrible.

Yes I am an atheist towards religious gods. More an anti-theist.

As for your question as to why I am 'lurking' in religious forums. I'm not lurking by any stretch of the imagination. I've been fairly active in religious discussion since 2004 here minus a few breaks.

People with opposing views are going to show up. Deal with it. It's allowed on this site.

Your sentiments fit nicely with the OP.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Not exactly. I don't agree with atheist going into religious posts throwing topics completely off just to spew opinionated rhetorics about why they don't believe in god and how others are stupid for not sharing their same views. Same goes for the religious

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Your post about what evolution tells people to do, which preceded mine, is on-topic and my reply to yours is off-topic. And of course your post about what evolution directly justifies morally is in no way you spewing an opinion. What I am doing of course qualifies as such. What is you said a moment ago? Something about hypocrisy?

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 08:54 PM
link   

You got me, I got off topic you win the game. Congrats, I gave you a star. Evolution does directly correlate to morality through survival of the fittest. I'm wrong and I'm going to try my best to be a better poster on ATS.

I'm gonna go try and debate with a hungry lion

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: roth1

Well just remember Jesus loves you.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join