It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Leaked? ... "Exec Amnesty in 24 States That Didn’t Join Lawsuit"

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Mississippi police officers are now required to learn Spanish for continued employment or face discipline. Even factory jobs around the USA are requiring its employees to speak Spanish.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

pulse 1 para Inglés

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   

A few things -

Mississippi State is not requiring this.
The city of Jackson is requiring it and will require officers take a Spanish class 4 times a year.
The goal is not to speak fluent Spanish. Its to train the officers with basic commands in Spanish with hopes of avoiding an increase in the use of force based on a communications issue.

I live in MO and my Police academy had the same setup - Law Enforcement Spanish. We learned basic commands for asking for names, asking to spell it out one letter at a time, show me your hands, drop it, police identification, basic questions that require a yes or no response, medical questions, etc..

SCOTUS has already ruled that an individual whose primary language is not English can only be mirandized by an individual who can fluently speak that language. We use the college professors to assist us in some of the basics.

Lastly - There is no official language for the US.

edit on 1-3-2015 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Lastly - There is no official language for the US.

It wasn't until many years of unchecked illegal immigration that we even had to fight for it to be the official language. People immigrating through the proper channels are required to learn English. Some of my ancestors spoke French until they came here and with great respect learned English. Many States have English as their primary language and we are fighting to have it on the federal level for all States.

Most people when making another Country their home will learn the most commonly spoken language of that Country. They don't for one minute expect that Country to change for them.

edit on 1-3-2015 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   

hence my comments on bringing the best of their culture and integrating it into the US culture. US immigration law does require a candidate to know English however I don't think its enforced under this President.

Personally speaking I don't see an issue with making English the official language of the US. I know some states have done it and it seems to work out ok.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 08:35 PM
link   
The United States does need an official language. Naturally, it would be English.
I am a British born of Spaniard descent, I look like I could possibly be of some Latin American origins (living in California at the moment it's easy to blend in) - I have numerous Latin Americans come up to me and ask if I speak Spanish and when they find out that my Spanish is no where near sufficient to carry a conversation I get the ugliest looks - As if I should automatically speak Spanish or know it. It's rather obnoxious, I never quite understood why the United States didn't have English as the official language since we were, in fact, a colony of the crown.

~Sovereign

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
Personally speaking I don't see an issue with making English the official language of the US. I know some states have done it and it seems to work out ok.

What does official language mean? If it means all business of the state is conducted in that language, many states have already passed some form of those laws. What about private business though? Do we want the feds to step in and mandate what language private business is conducted in?

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: SovereignEve

Here in my neck of the woods, I finding Ironic that I am the first to point out to those speaking Spanish to speak English because they are in the US, they look at me a very much latina women speaking at the them in English reminding them that they are not longer in their country, so learn the darn language.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

There is quite a large number of Hispanics in Florida that came in with the amnesty under regan I think that still haven't assimilated.
edit on 2-3-2015 by Irishhaf because: Fricking auto correct

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 11:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
We have tons of poor people who do not resort to crimes of any kind. Being poor is no excuse for an illegal drunken driver to plow down a child or anyone else.

And we have tons of illegals who also don't resort to crimes (aside from the crime of being here). The amnesty laws that have been proposed if you haven't noticed have even included stipulations to only provide amnesty to those who are law abiding. And being poor isn't an excuse to commit crimes but it is a motivator for many. The less upward mobility one has, the more likely they are to commit crimes and our policies towards illegals are ones that limit their upward mobility.

We always have unemployed citizens and there is training available for better jobs, yet there are not enough jobs to go around. Whatever jobs that are available should go to a citizen and not an illegal.

What about the jobs going to non residents period? We outsourced most of our jobs, hire foreigners to produce our goods for pennies, then resell them in our borders at full value. On top of that, there is actually a very easy way to create more jobs. We could double the job supply with the stroke of a pen, all we would have to do is change the work week (and thus overtime requirement) to 20 hours/week. From there the economics would shift to peoples new incomes, while twice as many people each work half as much.

How can you not see that it is unfair for a citizen to be forced to speak a foreign language in order to get hired for employment in their own Country, when that position has nothing to do with international business dealings or being a translator? It is a lost job opportunity for citizens. It is neither fair nor right. I even asked a company in an e-mail why they required Spanish and they told me it was because most of their employees spoke it. So because most of his employees were too disrespectful to learn the language of the land, our citizens should cater to and suffer because of it? I told that employer that if most of his employees spoke Spanish and it's mostly illegals that spoke it, it sent a red flag up for me. I never heard from them again. LOL

Because it's the right of the company to conduct business in any language they wish. Personally, I would prefer that language to be English but I'm against making the government step in and mandate it. That whole pesky minimal regulation thing. This happens to be a regulation that a businesses customers can easily enforce.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 11:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
a reply to: Aazadan

There is quite a large number of Hispanics in Florida that came in with the amnesty under regan I think that still haven't assimilated.

That doesn't surprise me. Unchecked illegal immigration has allowed their communities to grow. It doesn't matter how you handle the people already here if you don't do anything about new ones coming over.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join