It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giuliana Rancic Makes Racial Stereotype and Handles the Backlash Gracefully

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

You went in circles...

God forbid anyone anywhere might be "negatively effected" by someone's comments..

How about being positively affected? Is it ok to be inspired by the action of others such as the social grace expressed by both parties mentioned in the OP story? What is good for the goose is good for the gander, yeah?

I think that allowing yourself to be negatively effected by a comment that does not incite violence in any way is a weakness.

I believe you lack critical thought due to your perspective...to say the least. You seem like a strong lad, therefore, my comment should be water off a duck's back.

In fact, I would go as far as to say that it negstively effects me when people allow it to happen...

Careful now! Your personal philosophy stated in your comment may suggest that internalizing of matters in such a way might be perceived as a form of weakness.

I'll await my prompt apology from all members of the PC crowd!

Why would you anticipate an apology?

It was a joke for God's sake. It must be explained to you that negativity through words alone mean nothing, and your expectation of an apology can only be an idea entertained by someone who desperately needs to develop critical thinking skills. I hope now by pointing out your contradictory and banal rambling , I will not be attacked for suggesting that someone of your ilk would benefit greatly from popping a so called "chill pill".

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I understand that aspect of it, but patchouli oil and weed is a hippie thing, not a black thing.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75
a reply to: Edumakated

I understand that aspect of it, but patchouli oil and weed is a hippie thing, not a black thing.

I know, but in general black folks don't like it when white people make fun of their hair. Like I said, some folks are too sensitive, but I understand where the offense is coming from.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Anyafaj

Now ... wait. You just said that a lot of people thought Kelly said it. If that's true, why is Kelly demanding Giuliana own it?

I think Kelly was demanding Guiliana own her own comment that Guiliana made because Kelly didn't want to be associated with what Kelly saw as a racial remark against her best friend. A lot of people heard the remark on TV and thought that Kelly had said it, even though it was Guiliana who said it.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 05:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: raedar

That makes sense. I just don't see it it as racist.

This one guy I worked with had dreads that went down to his booty.
We used to laugh and tell him not to spin around too fast because you risked getting smacked with one of his smelly dreads. Hers look much better cared for, lol.

I also think it could be a generation thing. Seems so much is offensive to the younger generation. Bummer.

I definitely agree with the generational thing. I refer to my hair as funky because it never does what I want it to do. I've NEVER had anyone take offense at it and I'm white. I have a friend who is not and she just laughed and said it was funny, but nowadays, there are some who take offense at EVERYTHING!

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

There are plenty of white people with patchouli dreds that reek of weed. Has nothing to do with race. Should have just told her to get over it.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 09:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: raedar

I also think it could be a generation thing. Seems so much is offensive to the younger generation. Bummer.

Well, it's empowering to be a victim. It's the antithesis of true progress, but they don't realize that.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Involutionist

No, of course your post does not bother me. In fact I gave you a star for being the only one to reply to my post. That's the whole problem, people let stupid sh# bother them so much.

And I am not expecting an apology, that was a joke of sorts. Mocking those who demand or expect apologies for ridiculous reasons and whatnot... I'm sorry my sarcasm or whatever was not more clear. That style of communication does not seem to jibe well with this type of communication (reading text over the internet) but I don't really let that stop me because I know some people will understand it. Either way, no hard feelings bud!

However I do not understand how I was talking in circles... the only way that makes sense is if you misunderstood the parts where I was not really serious. Which isn't really your fault. I guess I'm not always very good at being funny. But apparently at least 3 people understood where I was coming from, so I don't regret that post... or maybe those 3+ people simply lacked critical thinking as you accused me of... Or a 3rd possibility would be that you yourself lack some kind of "thinking", critical or otherwise.

Wow I got as many stars as this thread got flags. Thanks guys! (is that un-PC if I refer to a group of people as "guys" even though that group may include females? I really hope it is! Although if anyone is negatively effected by my comments then my goodness I don't know if I'll be able to sleep tonight!) Aw, but you got more stars than me... that means the PC crowd is ganging up on little old me. Good. I can just picture the scowls on their faces, and can feel the glee as they thought you got one over on me... lolz.

PS i added you as a friend as a gesture of good will. People should be able to criticize/poke at each other without it becoming a congressional hearing or some other serious deal. Good on you, pal. I buy you a digital beverage of your choice for providing the fun, good natured, intellectual sparring session.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Anyafaj
I have a friend who is not and she just laughed and said it was funny, but nowadays, there are some who take offense at EVERYTHING!

I have to agree with this. And I think it's part of the politically correct fever in this country today. And it's not just the political left who cling to political correctness. I see it on the right (especially the religious right) every day.

But, ultimately, I don't see it as my place to say what people should and shouldn't feel. If Zendaya was offended (and clearly she was), who am I to say how she should feel? If someone tells me how to feel, it pisses me off. Don't tell me how to feel, ya, know?

If you look at old sitcoms, like All in the Family, they were unapologetic about Archie's stereotyping every group except his own and I loved the show. People just rolled their eyes and shook their heads at his stupid comments. But no one ever really got offended or demanded an apology (and Zendaya didn't demand one, either - she just spoke her mind). I miss the times when people said what was on their minds and everyone just dealt with it. But it's simply not the world we live in today. And I'm not about to tell someone how they should respond or how they should feel.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

originally posted by: Anyafaj
I have a friend who is not and she just laughed and said it was funny, but nowadays, there are some who take offense at EVERYTHING!

I have to agree with this. And I think it's part of the politically correct fever in this country today. And it's not just the political left who cling to political correctness. I see it on the right (especially the religious right) every day.

But, ultimately, I don't see it as my place to say what people should and shouldn't feel. If Zendaya was offended (and clearly she was), who am I to say how she should feel? If someone tells me how to feel, it pisses me off. Don't tell me how to feel, ya, know?

If you look at old sitcoms, like All in the Family, they were unapologetic about Archie's stereotyping every group except his own and I loved the show. People just rolled their eyes and shook their heads at his stupid comments. But no one ever really got offended or demanded an apology (and Zendaya didn't demand one, either - she just spoke her mind). I miss the times when people said what was on their minds and everyone just dealt with it. But it's simply not the world we live in today. And I'm not about to tell someone how they should respond or how they should feel.

I miss those times as well. Now I will admit, there are times when I'm offended, but I don't say anything, believe it or not, for fear of offending someone else. Go figure. I find it's easier to just shut up. I have a pacifist personality. I was raised to be the peacemaker in my family, so if someone offends me, I keep quiet about it, because I don't want to start a war.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I don't think I've ever heard of those two. That being said, I think the hair is very pretty and I like the smell of patchouli. Seems they worked it out. Good for them.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   

I agree. It was a joke about Rastafarians and dreadlocks. Not everyone who is Rasta or who has dreadlocks is black.If Joan Rivers had said it, everyone would have laughed and she sure wouldn't have apologized.

That said, when others failed to see the humor, Rancic handled it well and Zendaya was gracious.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   

I feel you my friend and thank you for clarifying your POV. Typed text often gets lost in translation. Cheers.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

I see where you are coming from. It was indeed a Rastafarian and dreadlocks related comment BUT it came from a 40 year old adult who addressed that comment to a young lady who just barely turned 18 years old. If one were to show up at a function with their teenage daughter or niece and some adult made that comment just because of a certain hairstyle, it would change the perspective a tiny bit - yeah? Sure, one may fail to see the humour in at all, but sometimes we also fail to see that humour can arise from ignorance and this is where the crux of the story is found.

Rastafarian is a form of Abrahamic religion; it is a movement or certain practice which relates and/or similar to Gnosticism.

It was a joke about Rastafarians and dreadlocks.

Joking about religion in the way Guilana did is ignorant, to say the least, despite the fact she meant no harm (due to her ignorance) or held any malice for stating it.

Not everyone who is Rasta or who has dreadlocks is black.

Not everyone who is a Rasta has dreadlocks; not everyone who has dreadlocks are Rastas...
Not everyone who is Christian or who has straight hair is white.
Not everyone who is Muslim or has a beard is brown.
Not everyone who is Buddhist or has a shaved head is Asian.

...and this is where Guilana F*d up.

Making this a race issue is missing the point...

If Joan Rivers had said it, everyone would have laughed and she sure wouldn't have apologized

If Joan Rivers had directed the same comment towards a grown adult woman like Jennifer Aniston perhaps that may be true. But, I believe that if was directed at a young lady who barely is of legal age and of mixed heritage; she would of caught some heat for it as well.

The issue is not who said it; but what was said.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Apparently there's a little more to the story as well. The joke was written by E! writers for fashion police, as has been done, time and again. There was MORE to the joke, but Giuliana got cut off by Kathy Griffin interrupting her.

Giuliana was supposed to say, "Her hair smelled of Patchoulli and weed and her next tour would be with the Grateful Dead." (According to Daily Mail.) Had she finished the joke, people would have gotten the hippie reference I believe. But because Kathy interrupted her, it bombed terribly. It happens!

Apparently they did not think Zendaya would be offended, she was, so Giuliana owned up to what she said and offered Zendaya an apology.

I think had the joke been able to finish, and had the joke been played on someone else, say Miley or some other singer/actress who does smoke weed, it would have been laughed off. Zendaya has an anti-drug reputation, so for this particular young actress/singer, it was a major misstep.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Thanks so much for the extra info. You rock! I agree that if the joke had been finished, the hippie reference would have been obvious. I'm not sure Zendaya would have taken it any better.

If the writers wrote the joke, why was Kelly completely surprised by it? Maybe she didn't know about it.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

Thanks so much for the extra info. You rock! I agree that if the joke had been finished, the hippie reference would have been obvious. I'm not sure Zendaya would have taken it any better.

If the writers wrote the joke, why was Kelly completely surprised by it? Maybe she didn't know about it.

That's certainly possible. A lot of people thought this was an "off the cuff" racist remark. It was not. I read Daily Mail most every day, if not, every other day, so I've been keeping up on this. There have been stories about how they taped this 3 times, even Giuliana says this is not true, so I ignored that story. There was a story that Kelly laughed at the joke, Giuliana again burst this rumor, and defended Kelly. However it was an E! Producer who said it was a E! writer who wrote the joke, they write ALL the jokes for the show, as they ALWAYS do! It got cut off however by Kathy. Now whether Kathy meant to cut it off, or it was accidental, who knows. She has distanced herself from this controversy.

I believe this linked to the E! site themselves, so this particular story I did not disregard. I've learned when to ignore some of their stories as gossip, and when some are verified. If it links to an authentic news site, chances are, it's real. If it doesn't, take with as much salt as in the Dead Sea.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Kelly has QUIT Fashion Police

She insists it has nothing to do with Zendaya and Giuliana, it has to do with the chemistry since Joan has passed away. Producers are now courting Khloe Kardashian to take over Kelly's spot.

But a source told Daily Mail Online: 'Kelly stayed on the show after the beloved Joan Rivers passed away, but nothing has been the same since.

'The chemistry has not been the same between the hosts since the show came back on air and Kelly knows it's time to move on.'

Contrary to reports, Billy blasted the suggestion that Kelly tried to stop Giuliana from making the comment about Zendaya's hair - and that the segment was taped three times.

As Daily Mail Online has revealed, the joke was actually scripted by Fashion Police writers - and was not off the cuff from Giuliana.

Khloe Kardashian - who reported for E! from the Oscars - is now in talks to join the show, according to Radar.

Fashion Police, now fronted by Kathy Griffin, is not back on air until March, and Giuliana is expeted back.

When Kelly first threatened to quit, I had a feeling the writing was on the wall. (Supposedly her purple hair was written into her contract and she was not allowed to color it any other color. How true this is, I really don't know. If she colors her hair another color after she's quit, I guess we'll know for sure.)

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Benevolent, I thought I'd warn you, I have a feeling either Fashion Police is going to be a Award Show special episode only here shortly, or a new host is coming on, because not only is Kelly Osbourne jumping ship, but it would seem Kathy Griffin is as well! (Serious case of Deja Vu here because I have a feeling you're about to post you know and I already typed this once, even though I never read this article before today, nor have I ever posted it to you.)

Kathy Griffin announces it's time to move on--after SEVEN episodes!

Kathy Griffin is leaving E!'s Fashion Police after only appearing in seven episodes.

The 54-year-old comedienne - known for her brash commentaries and outspoken personality - announced her abrupt departure via a lengthy letter posted on Twitter.

'After seven episodes of Fashion Police, I discovered that my style does not fit with the creative direction of the show and now it’s time to move on,' Kathy wrote.

Kathy's exit comes after her co-host Kelly Osbourne left the celebrity couture hits and misses series following controversy stemming from Giuliana Rancic's comments about Zendaya's hair during The Oscars on February 22.

The red-haired Griffin joined the show as replacement for the late Joan Rivers, who died last September from outpatient surgery complications.

As I said, my Deja Vu may be right and you already know this, or my Deja Vu Fu may be wrong. LOL Either way I remembered we were talking about Fashion Police so I thought to give you a heads up.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join