It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giuliana Rancic Makes Racial Stereotype and Handles the Backlash Gracefully

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   
We could all learn something from how Giuliana Rancic dealt with her foot-in-mouth moment, and from Zedaya's response.

Guiliana made a comment about actress Zendaya's hair on the Oscar Red Carpet. Zendaya is biracial and wore her hair in dreadlocks for the event. Giuliana suggested that the actress' dreadlocks "smelled of patchouli oil and weed". Just a week previous, she had judged Kylie Jenner's dreadlocks as "edgy". Kylie is white.

Just weeks before Zendaya walked down the red carpet with a mane full of beautiful locs, Kylie Jenner posted a picture rocking a loc’d up-do that many, including Rancic, deemed “edgy.”

Zendaya's response to Rancic's comment:

“There is a fine line between what is funny and disrespectful,” Zendaya wrote on Instagram. “Someone said something about my hair at the Oscars that left me in awe. Not because I was relishing in rave outfit reviews, but because I was hit with ignorant slurs and pure disrespect. To say that an 18-year-old young woman with locs must smell of patchouli oil or ‘weed’ is not only a large stereotype but outrageously offensive.

“There is already harsh criticism of African American hair in society without the help of ignorant people who choose to judge others based on the curl of their hair.”

Source

But, instead of Rancic saying that she "misspoke" or blowing it off (as so many do), she LEARNED from the situation and gave a sincere apology, which I think bears repeating...

"I want to apologize for a comment that I made on last night's 'Fashion Police' about Zendaya's hair," Rancic said on "E! News."

"Now as you know, 'Fashion Police' is a show that pokes fun at celebrities in good spirit, but I do understand that something I said last night did cross the line.

"I want to say to Zendaya, and anyone else out there that I have hurt, I am so, so sincerely sorry," the host added. "This really has been a learning experience for me; I've learned a lot today, and this incident has taught me to be a lot more aware of cliches and stereotypes -- how much damage they can do, and that I am responsible, as we all are, to not perpetuate them further."

Source

Zendaya Graciously Accepted Giuliana's Apology

"Giuliana, I appreciate your apology and I'm glad it was a learning experience for you and for the network," she wrote. "I hope that others negatively affected by her words can also find it in their hearts to accept her apology as well. From a quote we all know by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., 'Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that.' Let's be that light and spread that love."

edit on 2/25/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   
OK, did she actually get close enough to smell whether or not they did give off an odor?

Otherwise, going on looks alone, they look fine.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   
It was a joke for God's sakes. I would have explained that and then told her to take a chill pill. I suppose then I would have been attacked for suggesting that someone of her ethnicity would like something called a "chill pill".

God forbid anyone anywhere might be "negatively effected" by someone's comments... "Excuse me, good sir, I think you should know that I was negatively effected by your comments" rofl... I think that allowing yourself to be negatively effected by a comment that does not incite violence in any way is a weakness. In fact, I would go as far as to say that it negstively effects me when people allow it to happen... I'll await my prompt apology from all members of the PC crowd!

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

No, she was looking at a picture...

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Sigh, She learned her lesson. No one can just step in a insult like Joan Rivers with impunity.
edit on 25-2-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko Dreadlocks are a hairstyle of choice by Rastafarians, who consider smoking weed a part of their religion or something... and a lot of weed tokers like to light incense... patchouli is a common incense scent... hence the joke. At least thats my understanding of it.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Apparently a LOT of people online thought Kelly Osbourne, Zendaya's good friend and Guiliana's co-worker, made the comment. Kelly said if the situation was not rectified she would be quitting the show because she would not see her friend hurt in such a manner, AND see the blame placed on herself. All in all, I'm glad that the not only was Guiliana apologetic, but she did something we should see more often of. She took responsibility for her actions and owned up to it. It's a shame when we have to acknowledge that person in today's day and age because it is such a rarity! I think both women were very grown up about it and handled it very well. Now to hope everyone else follows suit.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Much ado about nothing. Some folks are too sensitive. Although Guiliana shouldn't be trying to crack jokes with her scrawny azz.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

Sigh, She learned her lesson. No can just step in a insult like Joan Rivers with impunity.

I think that's what she was trying to do. Step in and do what Joan does. At least that was my take on the situation. But most people see Guiliana, on Fashion Police anyway, not in that kind of manner. Yes, she can be witchy at times, but no where near Joan's level. Kathy Griffin near it, but Guiliana? No.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I live in Austin and most dreads here smell like weed and patchouli. The ones that immediately come to mind are white boys.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
OK, did she actually get close enough to smell whether or not they did give off an odor?

Otherwise, going on looks alone, they look fine.

I think Guiliana looked at a picture, thought she could pull a Joan, and it ended up backfiring because some people are very sensitive when it comes to those kind of remarks. Perhaps had it been a singer who does toke up now and then, such as Macy Gray, it might have been seen as funny by some. But with Zendaya being a Disney kid, being VERY clean cut, walking the line. It bombed spectacularly. Zendaya sees herself as a role model for other children and volunteers her time at various children events. My guess, she didn't want that associated with her image. She wanted that distance and FAST and if she didn't get that apology, who knows how far this would have gone.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: raedar
I live in Austin and most dreads here smell like weed and patchouli. The ones that immediately come to mind are white boys.

I think in this case, she chose the wrong person to make that joke with. She chose a barely 18 yr old girl who is NOT Miley Cyrus. For example, had this been Miley wearing a dreadlock wig, Miley would have laughed it off possibly. But she chose someone who is very anti-drug and is a role model to other kids and still relies on her clean cut Disney image. I think she didn't want her "Brand" or her image harmed. And considering that's her money maker, I can understand that. I think Guiliana chose the wrong target for this.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   
One guy thru-hiked the Appalachian trail in sandals. Impressive dude! But yeah you can't wash them with soap, so they do develop their own aroma lol...

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Racial stereotype? I know more white people with dreads than black people, so where does the racism come into play here? Sure she was stereotyping people with dreadlocks, but racism? Come on now.

Her apology pretty much reflects my thoughts as she seems to have had no idea she was using a racist stereotype and simply apologizing for her ignorance.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj

Now ... wait. You just said that a lot of people thought Kelly said it. If that's true, why is Kelly demanding Giuliana own it?

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   

That makes sense. I just don't see it it as racist.

This one guy I worked with had dreads that went down to his booty.
We used to laugh and tell him not to spin around too fast because you risked getting smacked with one of his smelly dreads. Hers look much better cared for, lol.

I also think it could be a generation thing. Seems so much is offensive to the younger generation. Bummer.
edit on 25-2-2015 by raedar because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: raedar

I'm officially declaring "white boy" a racist slur and you owe me and every other white guy here an apology (unless you're white too, then its okay).

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Anyafaj
All in all, I'm glad that the not only was Guiliana apologetic, but she did something we should see more often of. She took responsibility for her actions and owned up to it.

And that's why I posted this thread. So many would say, "It was a joke for God's sakes" or "Some folks are too sensitive", but Guiliana owned he statement, realized her mistake and owned up to it instead of blowing it off.

I love how these two women handled it. And I have more respect for Guiliana than I did before for being so adult about it.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Now ... wait. You just said that a lot of people thought Kelly said it. If that's true, why is Kelly demanding Giuliana own it?

Kelly didn't say it. She is a close friend of Zendaya and was appalled at what Guiliana said.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

Racial stereotype? I know more white people with dreads than black people, so where does the racism come into play here? Sure she was stereotyping people with dreadlocks, but racism? Come on now.

Her apology pretty much reflects my thoughts as she seems to have had no idea she was using a racist stereotype and simply apologizing for her ignorance.

Black folks can be very sensitive about our hair. It is one of those things with some deep seated racism and self-hate going back centuries. A lot of white people are oblivious to it until they say or do something that pushes the wrong button.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join