It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ukraine army to be trained by UK troops - Cameron

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: sg1642
The UK cannot be seen to be weak in the face of russian aggression.
Simple geopolitics unfortunatley.

Dave gave a good account of the UK position IMO.
We can defend our airspace.
But of course we cannot defend against Russian missiles hitting the surface of the UK..
He didn't mention that,because his advisers tell him we don't want to make the whole UK go crazy with worry.

Its really not the bear bombers or russian sub incursions we need to worry about...they are the shadows of a very different kind of war.
IMO.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I wouldnt hold your breath on that. What will they do with their Russian money, invest it in Siberia?

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

www.informationclearinghouse.info...

So your source uses parts of stories mixed in with their own opinion, and your taking this as though it actually proves something...why?

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: tastyrawmeat
David Cameron is making up for Obamas percieved weakness. Ever since Obama drew a line in the sand and then turned around and ran away, Putin has adopted a more agressive strategy, because he knows Obama is a weak leader. A weak US president in the eyes of the world poses more of a threat to world peace than ISIS and all the terrorist cells put together. The West must be seen as willing to act.

While I don't particularly dislike Obama (and much of the political ranting on here is vomit-worthy) I have to agree that he's been less than effective.

I never liked Bush and his reactionary nationalist Republican mindset, but Obama has been incredibly weak and particularly quiet in comparison to perhaps all previous US presidents confronted with such a significant scenario.

Has he been on another three golfing holidays in the meantime? It certainly seems from the outside that he's more interested in leaving everyone else to do the work while he takes himself off on holiday.

In fact, the only person I have really seen acting and speaking appropriately in all of this, from the US, is Samantha Power (a stage name if ever I heard one).

I don't trust her as far as I could spit a dead rat, in political terms, but there's no doubt she seems to have more of a backbone than the US president.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: tastyrawmeat
I wouldnt hold your breath on that. What will they do with their Russian money, invest it in Siberia?

There are better returns coming from Asia, Africa and South America. Russians are foolish to invest so heavily in the West in first place.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: tsurfer2000h

So your source uses parts of stories mixed in with their own opinion, and your taking this as though it actually proves something...why?

Because it suits the preferred narrative of their chosen reality, the one where the "evil West" is the aggressor and the invading army doesn't exist.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: victor7

Thats not really the business that Russian money likes to be involved in. China has that sector nicely sown up, willing to invest heavily in construction projects. Russian business likes finance, and with London being such a high profile financial capital of the world, its the obvious choice to invest. They wont be pulling their money out any time soon.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: tastyrawmeat

Don't make me laugh man !!

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: victor7
Your reply clearly indicates that you have nothing further of any value to add "Victor".

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: tsurfer2000h

Because it is out there and can be verified if someone wants to .I dislike a one sided story because there are always two sides to things going on and the west is usually consistent in keeping the meme going in one direction ,while ignoring little tid-bits of truth that might suggest something different .

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   
That's cool, will the UK be supplying them with knight armor like they had in the middle ages?

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: victor7
a reply to: tastyrawmeat

Don't make me laugh man !!
www.cityam.com...

check this out Vic....you may move that smirk to the other side of your face......

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: noeltrotsky
The UK was starting to get hammered in the London tabloids about being sidelined in the Ukraine standoff. When Merkel and the French President went and nobody from the UK went it was splashed about as the UK being irrelevant in EU and World politics.

They can't look bad so they sent in 75 trainers. It's a pretty small gesture really and just to stop looking as feeble as the UK is looking. They haven't help Ukraine in the least and history will judge the UK for it's lack of action.

London city politician are likely to scared to piss off the Russian oligarchs that own half of London property.

I say # the rich bastards and send them packing back to to Russia.

But no doubt there dirty ill gotten mafia money has found its way into certain pockets.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Putin should direct one of his businesses which are invested in UK to withdraw $5 Billion from UK. More than $100B of Russian money, even upto $500B is invested there.

UK will immediately come to its senses.

Trillions pass through the UK financial markets every year.

We would barley notice $5 billion .
edit on 25-2-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-2-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rocker2013

Why is it the last thing we need to be doing? Ukraine is an ally of the UK, it's entirely legal to assist an ally in the defense of their nation, especially when that defense is required to defend the much larger European group from the threats posed by Russia.

It's nothing like a declaration of war, that's an incredibly bombastic thing to claim. All we are doing is sending a small number of advisors and training staff to assist an ally, this is no different to trading operational assistance with Germany, France, the US, Canada, Australia... we assist each other and plan for strategies and run training exercises all the time, but you think because Russia has invaded Ukraine it's somehow unacceptable?

If anything it's more acceptable in this instance than any other routine training deployment.

The worry is mission creep.

Vietnam started with "just advisers".

Anyway the UK can hurt Russia in other ways. Like kicking the Russian oligarchs and there dirty money out of London.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
That's cool, will the UK be supplying them with knight armor like they had in the middle ages?

what the # is that supposed to mean?

UK military are one of the best trained in the world.

Not that I think we should be training Ukrainians in a civil war.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   

You can start here...

www.defenseone.com...

www.cbc.ca...

www.foxnews.com...

vestnikkavkaza.net...

twitter.com...

That's just part of where your source cherrypicked for their article.

I dislike a one sided story

And yet you posted one in this very thread...You know this one...

the west is usually consistent in keeping the meme going in one direction ,while ignoring little tid-bits of truth that might suggest something different .

Or just suggest it's a lie.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

Putin should direct one of his businesses which are invested in UK to withdraw $5 Billion from UK. More than $100B of Russian money, even upto $500B is invested there.

Buddy, pass through is one thing and remaining invested is another. Just like an airplane passenger in transit probably pays $10 for airport fees but a tourist to the same city spends $500 if stays for 2 days or so.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

Buddy, pass through is one thing and remaining invested is another. Just like an airplane passenger in transit probably pays $10 for airport fees but a tourist to the same city spends $500 if stays for 2 days or so.

And being invested in a bank a big difference from being money in the government Treasury.

The UK likely sees less that $100 million of that 5 billion in tax money. Thats a pittance.

As for the UK banks they have hundreds of billions to trillions of money invested or being traded.

Hell we have fined our banks for more!

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978
I didn't say it was a declaration of war, I said just shy of a declaration of war, there's not many options left after this one,

And I said it's nothing like a declaration of war, which it isn't. We are far, far, far away from being in open conflict with Russia or anyone else - unless Putin does something insane.

Right now it looks like this is going to be terrible for Ukraine and other former Soviet states as there's likely to be a proxy war in their region. The fact that Russia has now moved anti-aircraft assets into E Ukraine is also suggestive of a larger incursion into other neighboring territories, as that is when NATO would be be forced to act.

Clearly, Ukraine has little appetite to attempt to try to push Russia out using air power, so why would Russia need those anti-aircraft positions if not to provide backup against NATO? And NATO will only be involved in that way if they're forced to defend a NATO country, and that will only happen if a NATO member is attacked...

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978
Everyone can see tensions are running high in the Ukraine and a ceasefire is in place. Then there's 'call me Dave' announcing this crap, it's unacceptable any time, in my book.

Well, we clearly disagree on this. Ukraine is an ally, it's been invaded, it need support and we have an interest in not seeing Europe threatened by a larger conflict. If we sit back and do nothing, a full incursion into Ukraine by Russia will threaten several NATO countries and a large swathe of Europe. We are absolutely right to act now before we get to that point.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join