It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New poll finds Americans think rich should be taxed more

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: AlaskanDad
a reply to: JDmOKI

The 1% work very hard...

...to take everyone else's peoples money!

I'm sure your neighbors who are Doctor, Lawyer, accountant, middle managers, small business owners, and other working stiffs would love to know that's how you feel about them. There is a world of difference between a working professional with a household income of a couple hundred thousand a year and folks like Warren Buffet or even some successful Wall Street trader making $20 million a year.

I'm over six foot tall which I am sure puts me in the top 1% of height for males but that doesn't make me an NBA player.

I always love how you liberals throw out pictures of some billionaire while bashing the rich and then when it is time to get to specifics, you claim someone making $250k/ yr is rich. Complete bait and switch. GTFO.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: AlaskanDad

I think everyone should contibute the same percentage. Just because someone makes more money, does that mean they get greater benefit from the roads or other infrastructure or schools or military or any other use of tax revenue? It is not fair to take a bigger bite from those who earn more.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Exactly! The left likes to use the extremes as their examples and then the tax hammer hits their neighbors the hardest.

My husband is getting into the very lowest part of those ranks. It's hard to see how some of his former friends treat him because he is lower middle management at a large corporation. When he explains why things are the way they are from that perspective, the hatred that gets spun and the accusation of greed as if we are already making that kind of money when we aren't.

His goal is get to a 6-figure salary someday, but we aren't there yet. We are in a low cost of living area of the country which works against that.

But seriously, you may think that's a lot of money, but it's not. Not nearly as much as you think. And we aren't loaded with debt - modest mortgage and student loans are about it.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   

All those professions you mentioned are all middle class professions and are not thriving like in past decades. Why would I go after these people who are the foundation of our countries wealth. The 1% horde money and lobby to keep it

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   
We should not be hiking taxes.

The tax hike is tge result of poor people thinking it is the only way to get their attention.

When we should be protesting the products or services they offer, and refusing to work for them.

I am sick and tired of working for minimum wage due to millions upon millions of qualifying factors to make enough money just to live somewhere. I lost my car a long time ago. I still don't have health insurance, my own personal debt to my friends and family has trippled to the point where my friends are now impovershed. The amount of pay I get still isn't enough for me to afford anything more than a room. I can't even pay for utulities.

The rich should be paying their employees more.

Raise minimum wage, but put a lock down on housing prices. Lock down necesseties for life in America to prevent capitalistic exploits for profits.

This america sucks because everyone wants to be rich instead of creating a world worthwhile of anyones time.

America is home of slaves, land of the depraved.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I could make a case for either:

Flat tax: intuitively seems fair to all the people.

Taxing richest more: America provides an amazing environment where certain people are able to make dramatically more than the average, the price for being able to play in this economy being higher taxes for those who profit the most.

The thinking has obviously gone back and forth over the years.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Urantia1111

Good point!

I had not thought of how much of the wear and tear on our infrastructure is it being used to make the rich more profits. Fromm energy to our roads the rich are using these to make and move items that will end with their making money.

Another reason they should pay more taxes!

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

From your source:

"Most people understand that at a time when the rich are becoming much richer, the middle class is continuing to disappear," Sanders said. "And people also understand that the very wealthy and large corporations are able to take advantage of huge loopholes, which enable them not to pay their fair share of taxes."

Why don't they address scrapping the loophole-ridden system and starting over? Why is the solution to always raise rates, and raise rates, and raise rates, and raise rates?

It's the system that's broken, not the rates, yet all you see are people, like you, falling for the fallacy that it's a rate problem,

...I read it twice...I didn't see the topic of rate breeched in the OP?

It just said that they weren't paying enough in taxes?

Or that they should be "taxed more"?

correct me if I am wrong?

That means we can remedy that by any number of means and simplifying the tax code and closing all the loop-holes would be one strategy...but I am not holding my breath for this congress to do tax-reform.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   
If the person is rich and they use their wealth to create real jobs for people, they should get a break on paying big taxes. I said real jobs, not jobs selling insurance policies and Stocks and other securities. Also, the people lending money to people should pay taxes on all their income.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Thats a great idea! never thought about that.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Good point instead of taxing the rich why dont we reduce the unnecessary like Foodstamps,section8, wic, cash asistance, unemployment and so on people need to get a job and lighten the burden on the ones carrying it. Taxing the rich will just make the little jobs left go away...a reply to: FlyersFan

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Good point!

I had not thought of how much of the wear and tear on our infrastructure is it being used to make the rich more profits. Fromm energy to our roads the rich are using these to make and move items that will end with their making money.

Another reason they should pay more taxes!

Im not talking about the CEO of Walmart or other giant company that ships goods by the truckload. Im talking about ME specifically, who drives one car, owns one home and puts no more strain on the government or environment than any other individual.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Not having seen your investment portfolio, I can not divine whether your investments add to the wear and tear on the infrastructure. Though I suspect your investments may gain from money that is paid by the taxpayers.

edit on 25-2-2015 by AlaskanDad because: typo

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Well, hell, we should just scrap the whole economy because we are all profiting from it. How dare we?!

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: JDmOKI

if you want to be fair take everyones inheritences. LAws for all americans or none at all.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Taxing one group more is nothing but class warfare.

How about we don't do a thing with Taxes for a year or two, while we stop spending. A trillion in military spending would be nice to have back in the economy. It can't be that hard to trim, say...300bil a year, right? We would still outspend the entire planet. If we can't be secure with that kind of spending....

....which is really the issue, right? A trillion a year in military spending, where they further develop and refine intelligence gathering. Which, it turns out, is used on us. Nice, huh? I should make my son tithe part of his allowance to me every week, then hire someone to kick him in the crotch with his money that I have kept via tithing. Teach him how US Civics really works.

No...i don't want to see any other individual be treated in a way that I wouldn't appreciate. Even if the guys on the internet tell me that they are bad. Maybe they are bad. But I know that it really sucks to lose 20% of my paycheck to Uncle Sam. And I would have to be sadistic to wish worse on someone else.

Class warfare...it may be the only thing that keeps the US from erupting into a race war.

edit on 2/25/2015 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 05:04 PM
link   

I love how the apologists for the rich think that the rich should not have to pay their fair share of taxes.

Right now there are so many different types of taxes, that paying taxes takes food off the tables of the less fortunate. When the rich feel that type of hurt from paying their taxes they will have reason to complain, anything less is just whining!

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
If the person is rich and they use their wealth to create real jobs for people, they should get a break on paying big taxes. I said real jobs, not jobs selling insurance policies and Stocks and other securities. Also, the people lending money to people should pay taxes on all their income.

As a tax paying citizen, this is what really rubs me to worst: i am taxed on income and outlays BOTH.

Every penny I earn has taxes levied on it. Then as I spend that money, it is taxed again. Every dollar I earn is taxed at least twice.

I have no issue with consumption tax. The government is a steward of commerce via infrastructure. Fine....no problem. But my labor? My effort? Why is Uncle Sam entitled to a kick out of what I trade my life for? For what I trade time with my family for?

When I sit there on a Friday night at midnight, working from my dining room so I can put my business in the best position to succeed (and thus protect the work of my employees), it really pisses me off to know that time I am spending away from my family, time that goes well beyond the 40 hours my salary covers, is being taxed. Even worse: if i increase revenue through my business, that it taxed, too. On several layers.

Our tax system is broke. Its been talked about for years. It won't get fixed, either, until we determine that transactional taxing is not equitable when you have "traps" set up on income and outlays both.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 05:07 PM
link   

I love how the apologists for the rich think that the rich should not have to pay their fair share of taxes.

Right now there are so many different types of taxes, that paying taxes takes food off the tables of the less fortunate. When the rich feel that type of hurt from paying their taxes they will have reason to complain, anything less is just whining!

I am not rich. And have no loyalty either way.

But i am curious....what is a "fair share"? And how did you arrive at that number?

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Define that "fair" share. I'd like to know exactly when I should stop succeeding at life so as to avoid being punished because you think I'm not paying you enough to do better.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join