It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looks Like (parts of) Patriot Act II is official (Intelligence reform bill)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I was watching CNN thinking this is going to be a great day
when all of the sudden the President is on Television talking
about the 9/11 commision bill, I thought this was going to be
more Presidential Rhetoric but I was wrong. The president
stated that in a few minutes he would be signing the bill
into effect, well it is official now and we have in the presidents
words the most sweeping changes in the American Security
Policy since President Truman was in office.

Hopefully by my choice of words you'll see that I don't care much
for this legislation, I only hope that I am completely wrong in my
opinion. The only good thing I saw happen was that it did not include
drivers license reform. anyway tell me what you think.

geo

[edit on 17-12-2004 by Gazrok]

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Listen....do you hear it? In the distance. Getting closer now. SEIG HIEL, SEIG HEIL, SEIG HIEL! The fascism in America is spreading like cancer.

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 09:40 AM
link   
umm, you sure he wasn't talking about the intelligence reform bill, which he just signed into law? While some say that this bill incorporated a few features from PA2, it is not PA2...

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
umm, you sure he wasn't talking about the intelligence reform bill, which he just signed into law? While some say that this bill incorporated a few features from PA2, it is not PA2...

Yes, it didnt include all the degridation of civil rights that P2 had within, only the parts they could slide by unnoticed by the general population. IMO thats they passed THIS bill. They knew there was no way they would get away with passing P2, so they broke it up into smaller peices and are now tacking it on to bills that have a chance of passing.

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Even though the PA 2 isn't mentioned in the intelligence law it may very well be. Here's the article off of CNN.COM:

WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Bush on Friday signed into law the largest overhaul of U.S. intelligence gathering in 50 years, hoping to improve the spy network that failed to prevent the September 11, 2001, attacks.

"Our vast intelligence enterprise will become more unified, coordinated and effective," Bush said. "It will enable us to better do our duty, which is to protect the American people."

The 563-page bill, which endured a tortured path to congressional passage, also aims to tighten borders and aviation security.

Full Story

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 10:00 AM
link   
well if we are all agreeing that the author of this thread has misrepresented PA2, shouldn't he change the title? (Please).

Suggestion:
"Looks Like Intelligence Reform Bill is Official"

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by geocom
I was watching CNN thinking this is going to be a great day
when all of the sudden the President is on Television talking
about the 9/11 commision bill, I thought this was going to be
more Presidential Rhetoric but I was wrong. The president
stated that in a few minutes he would be signing the bill
into effect, well it is official now and we have in the presidents
words the most sweeping changes in the American Security
Policy since President Truman was in office.

Wait, I thought that the internet was going to be turned off after Patriot II, how did you post this?

Anyway, its the National Intelligence Reform bill, not the 911 commission bill nor Patriot II. It has recommendations that the commision pushed, and Patriot II was supposed to be a real bill that was killed in committee and supposedly the NIR bill (law now) has some of its provisions.

kidfinger
The fascism in America is spreading like cancer.

Because of an intelligence reform bill?

trueamerican
well if we are all agreeing that the author of this thread has misrepresented PA2, shouldn't he change the title? (Please).

Good point, they should, however the edit feature disables after two hours of posting. Rather, they should've thought about their post before making it.

Hopefully by my choice of words you'll see that I don't care much
for this legislation, I only hope that I am completely wrong in my
opinion. The only good thing I saw happen was that it did not include
drivers license reform. anyway tell me what you think.

geo

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Give the Internet a little time, it will soon say:

ERROR: 9/11Due to Patriot Act 2 and coming tyranny your internet is disabled per orders of the government

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

kidfinger
The fascism in America is spreading like cancer.

Because of an intelligence reform bill?

Not just the intelligence reform bill. There are many bills up for vote and alot of those bills have had parts of P2 tacked onto the end of them inhopes that they will pass quietly.

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   
sorry guys and gals I tried to change this but got back here to
late I realized after I had left the house that I titled this wrong.

I am not sure how many of you have read this bill
but it has much of the Patriot Act II attached to
it with different paraphrasing as well as 911 commission
recomendations.

[edit on 12/17/2004 by geocom]

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 12:01 PM
link   
geocom....
This may be the problem:
new feature --- 2 hour window on member post edit button

To rectify your post title, simply u2u a mod of this forum, listed under the forum name on the main page, or u2u a supermod and ask either to make the edit change for you.

seekerof

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Rectified....

They knew there was no way they would get away with passing P2, so they broke it up into smaller peices and are now tacking it on to bills that have a chance of passing.

And BINGO was his name-o....

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I'm a full skeptic on the intentions of this bill.

I believe it's benefiting having all the departments functioning independantly. That way when corruption brews, or the new intelligence director is not following the best intentions for America, red lights will go off and the other agencies can pickup on these indescretions.

I just feel that it's too much powering being centralized. Something Nixon would've gave his left, you know what for!

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Syntaxer...

Something Nixon would've gave his left, you know what for!

Try the Nixon: Huston Plan

seekerof

[edit on 17-12-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
geocom....
This may be the problem:
new feature --- 2 hour window on member post edit button

To rectify your post title, simply u2u a mod of this forum, listed under the forum name on the main page, or u2u a supermod and ask either to make the edit change for you.

seekerof

See people even ATS has been afected by reformed bills, I agree with dgtempe our liberties and choices has been "reformed" and now the internet will become politicaly correct sites like this one will be given a choices, "with us or against the government" so turn all the names of your anti-government posters

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Well, when they take us, I wanna be in a cell with you, marge

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Ha, ha, ha, I will have to warn you I do a hell of lot of kicking when I am sleeping.

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 12:47 PM
link   
So, should we designate this new reform:

PA2 Lite?

or:

PA2 2.0?

[edit on 17-12-2004 by skippytjc]

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof

Try the Nixon: Huston Plan

seekerof

Exactly mate. This new intelligence reform bill is nothing short of Nixon's "Huston plan" pipe dream. A few searches return a very interesting yet horrifying interview with Nixon and his almighty republican abuse of presidential authority.

FROST: So what in a sense, you're saying is that there are certain situations, and the Huston Plan or that part of it was one of them, where the president can decide that it's in the best interests of the nation or something, and do something illegal.

NIXON: Well, when the president does it that means that it is not illegal.

How sick and twisted is that? Bush's intelligence reform bill is nothing more than a PG-13 version of Nixon's Huston Plan.

www.landmarkcases.org...

Nixon "I haven't read every word, every jot and every title, but I do know this: That it has been, however, argued that as far as a president is concerned, that in war time, a president does have certain extraordinary powers which would make acts that would otherwise be unlawful, lawful

Boo!

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

Ha, ha, ha, I will have to warn you I do a hell of lot of kicking when I am sleeping.

That's ok Marge, just be sure and wear high heels. I'm sure we'll find an unlucky neo-con or two in there you can practice on.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join