It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study claims Drummers are more intelligent than others...

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Strange... I still haven't found one who can even keep time, I mean actual time... like for instance, showing up to rehearsal on time... if at all.. DahDum Dum Tssshhhht...

It's hard to get a good band together, and my experience over the last 20 years, it's always been the drummer. They are flaky and tend to drift away and move around a lot.

I do think that a tendency to be flaky often comes with intelligence. Tesla and many others were odd birds. So there is probably something to this... The math that is in music is most strongly rooted in the drums, everyone else can get out of whack on purpose and it fits, but the drummer hits 1 Tom out of time it's obvious it sticks out. Our brains subconsciously do math all of the time.... I'm a guitarist obviously not a drummer, I really do suck at math! Haha!

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: DjembeJedi

as in any instrument or any math for that matter.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   

So this is cool. I play bass and drums. I'm all about that rhthym baby!

There are some pretty mindless drummers though.. Some times you wonder how they survive lol.

None the less S&f for you

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: wastedown

I am actually a guitarist first and have been in a lot of bands.
I became a drummer because we could never rely on ours so I said screw and hit the kit and learned how to do it myself.

They are flaky and tend to drift away and move around a lot.

Drummers are always in demand,I had more music time as a drummer than I did playing guitar.
At one point I was playing 5 nights a week for 3 different bands.

If the band pisses you off,you just go get another...as I said,drummers are always in demand.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

Also, quit trying to snag the top notch groupies, the singer and guitar player pick first- then you and the bass player can fight over the scraps. 

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 10:11 AM
link   
The above image says it all

The more intricate and expressive you become as a guitarist the more male guitar fans see you after a gig and talk about your style and guitars ect ect

The more cheesy power chords you play in rock covers bands bring the females after the gig

Long live the power chords!

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Chad Wackerman

I thought Wackerman was a very appropriate name for a drummer.

Love his work with Frank Zappa: The Black Page

CHAD WACKERMAN

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun

Haha... I'm training my Son's.. Both will be getting lessons behind a kit. I can MAKE him come to rehersal. lol

You are right about being in demand. So are really talented singers. That doesn't give them a right to just skrew over bandmates, just because there are many options, and you can always find a gig. A commitment is a commitment, many musicians don't take that seriously enough. If the other band members did the work to be able to get it going so can you. If you are not serious be real from the start, don't wait till you've been playing long enough to get a set together and book some shows, to decide you don't want to do it anymore and move on to another group, to just do it all again.

Not to derail the thread, I think the intelligence could be linked to most musicians in general not just drummers as music can be a big influence on your ability to learn.

My Daughter is already an amazing piano player, she is 14 and is National ranked player. We started her at about age 4, she has always been gifted, and is super smart. She attends a University based private school and tested out of high school more than 2 years ago. Music has been a strong influence on her, and starting early helped kick start her ability to learn. It helped her learn how to learn. The sub conscience has WAAAYYYY more influence in our everday life than most could ever imagine, and i think music is a way to hardwire our brains to learn, just through listening to a rhythm and melody. Tone and frequency have had deep meaning to man throughout time... From the "OM" that began our Universe, and always will. Music communicates to us on so many levels, making us feel emotion before the 1st lyric is even sang. Who knows how deep it really goes, but I can't help but feel there is something magical about it and how it gets in us to our souls and never leaves. Like that one song that makes the hair on your arms and the back of your neck stand up everytime it plays. Or how a song can become attached to a person and help to root in those memories at the same time give us a route to recall every detail of a time in your past. One song can bring on a rush of memories and emotion that have been sitting idle for decades and instantly boom, there it is.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Someone please imbed the drummer from roots. Questlove. That mans hair is an icon all its own.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   
LOVE ALL the examples you are all posting NOW for a Laugh!! This guy is VERY good but looks like an ASS! lol

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: wastedown

The sub conscience has WAAAYYYY more influence in our everday life than most could ever imagine, and i think music is a way to hardwire our brains to learn, just through listening to a rhythm and melody. Tone and frequency have had deep meaning to man throughout time... From the "OM" that began our Universe, and always will. Music communicates to us on so many levels, making us feel emotion before the 1st lyric is even sang.

Beautifully said!

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Iamthatbish
Someone please imbed the drummer from roots. Questlove. That mans hair is an icon all its own.

Ask and YE shall receive! He is GREAT @ Hip Hop but I think he stalls after that..

edit on 2/25/2015 by DjembeJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: antoinemarionette
Chad Wackerman

I thought Wackerman was a very appropriate name for a drummer.

Love his work with Frank Zappa: The Black Page

CHAD WACKERMAN

Brilliant Drummer..ashamed to say I forgot bout him.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Given that music translates to math in the brain, this is not at all surprising.

I'm truly looking forward to telling my lead guitarist that he's a dummy and the one hitting things is a brain surgeon !

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Hellhammer

Nicko McBrain

Gene Hoglan

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Some more of my Fav's
Thomas Lang..man this guy is a living metronome.

Mr. Buddy Rich

and personally for me Dave Grohl is Brilliant with QOTSA on the album "Songs for the Deaf" and with Nirvana of course.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I mainly play guitar, but I play a djembe and wood block to practice my rhythm maths.
A well tuned sense of rhythm applies to any instrument.
Terry Bozzio and Dave Lombardo are the first two that come to mind when I dig for favorites.
Buddy Rich was a God.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: nerbot
A lot of talk about rhythm being a factor in increased intelligence in drummers but what about the fact that they use both hands to create complexities that are not found in most walks of life, therefore they could be using more parts of the normally lesser used side of the brain.

Make sense?

Nope! As a guitarist I am also ambidextrous. I can play feck all with both hands!

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I have had loads of kits, Jembes and bongo type things over the years but my favorite has to be the cajon, you can build them from scrap and they are a seat and drum all in one.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   

2 words is all it takes to refute this claim, Lars Ulrich...

Also, how do you tell if your drummers stool stool is level?

He drools out of both corners of his mouth, ha ha

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join