It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study claims Drummers are more intelligent than others...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Seeing as though I am a drummer HAD to share this one with you all

from GIG WISE.com

According to a collection of studies, drummers are extremely intelligent - due to a variety of factors relating to being in the rhythm section.
The news comes courtesy of Polymic, who have compiled a series of reports from Oxford and Harvard universities to name a few. According to their research, that dude at the back of the band isn't the head scratcher that you might think he is, in fact he (or she) is more likely to be the smartest of them all.

For example, researchers at Stockholm's Karolinska Institutet found that drummers who kept a tighter rhythm also scored better on a 60-question intelligence test. This is a reflection of better problem solving skills, which creates a positive impact on those around them.

If that wasn't enough, other studies added that rhythmic music actually makes people smarter. A University of Washington study showed better results from participants who undertook rhythmic light and sound therapy. Additionally research from the University of Texas tested the same process on children with ADD, finding that it not only had the same effect as ritalin, but their IQ's actually went up.

Going further than simple intelligence, Oxford University found that drummers produced a "natural high" when playing together, which heightened both pain and happiness thresholds. On top of this, at Harvard, they discovered that drummers who missed a beat were actually tapping into the rhythm of the earth, which moves in waves rather than like a clock.

One of my favorite drummers on the net Meytal Cohen LOVE her style and technique.

Got any favorite drummers? Share them with us on here!

edit on 2/25/2015 by DjembeJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: DjembeJedi

I agree but I am biased.

Also,I love playing djembe.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I can not find it now but I remember reading a study on complicated jobs a few years ago and jazz drummer was considered more complex than neurosurgeon.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 09:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: DrumsRfun

I agree but I am biased.

Also,I love playing djembe.

Nice! I have a 13" WULA Djembe getting re headed @ the moment friggin weather changes..lol LOVE all types of percussion!

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Total rubbish but drummers always get the they are not a musician treatment from fellow band mates

So next time my drummer misses a beat he's doing so because he's tapping into the earths tempo:-/ lol

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 09:15 AM
link   

It seems we are many on this site

Favorite drummers ? , I have many but here are 3
For pure technical excellence Neil Peart

For teeth and aggression Taylor Hawkins , saw him split a Zildjian Z crash when he was with Alanis Morissette.

And finally the late great Randy Castillo .... Genius at work.

edit on 25-2-2015 by gortex because: spallin

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   
A jazz drummer can play independent tempos and timings on each limb but a rock drummer can also do that after 10 pints and a few smokes

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   
A lot of talk about rhythm being a factor in increased intelligence in drummers but what about the fact that they use both hands to create complexities that are not found in most walks of life, therefore they could be using more parts of the normally lesser used side of the brain.

Make sense?

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Thy also use both feet as well

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Drummer for Godsmack.

edit on 25-2-2015 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   
There is lots of clinical evidence that learning music and especially calculating beats increases intelligence.

Beats are highly mathematical.

Advanced music theory in university replaces (is considered equivalent to) calculus as a required math.

Makes some sense.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   
When you treat music as maths it loses it's soul but I see your point

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun

A workshop led by my favorite Djembe Player Mamday Keita.
This is where my heart resides...

edit on 2/25/2015 by DjembeJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 09:42 AM
link   

I actually wanted to be a drummer, but I didn't have any drums.
Stevie Ray Vaughan

Sometimes my drummer and I switch places [I play bass] I always feel like I should have been a drummer....it feels like sex!
edit on 25-2-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Most people probably won't like or appreciate this style of music, but check out this drummer covering a Fallujah song.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Whereismypassword

Why?

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Evelyn Glennie. A legend in her own time...

Glennie has been profoundly deaf since the age of 12, having started to lose her hearing from the age of 8. This does not inhibit her ability to perform at an international level. She regularly plays barefoot during both live performances and studio recordings to feel the music better. Glennie contends that deafness is largely misunderstood by the public. She claims to have taught herself to hear with parts of her body other than her ears. In response to inaccurate reporting by the media,[clarification needed] Glennie published "Hearing Essay" in which she discusses her condition.

Evelyn Glennie

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Not my cup of tea mate but the drummer has skills and plays guitar as well so is a musician!

Best of both worlds

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: Whereismypassword

Why?

Because music isn't about perfect symmetry or odd note groupings it's about expression and improvising and the less one thinks about the bars restraining the notes the more natural it sounds when you break them

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Neil Peart sounds too much like a drum machine too me, technical proficiency is awesome but where's the soul?

John Bonham then Keith Moon, in that order.

Side note, if drummers are so smart how come you guys can't make it to practice on time? Also, use some of that higher brain power to learn about music. "On top of the beat" is not a musical term.

Also, quit trying to snag the top notch groupies, the singer and guitar player pick first- then you and the bass player can fight over the scraps.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join