It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Majority Of Republican Primary Voters Want To Establish Christianity As A National Religion

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 06:35 AM
link   
The United States was founded on the notion of E pluribus unum - "Out of many, one."

The traditionally understood meaning of the phrase was that out of many states (or colonies) emerges a single nation. However, in recent years its meaning has come to suggest that out of many peoples, races, religions, languages, and ancestries has emerged a single people and nation—illustrating the concept of the melting pot. (source)

But somewhere in the 1950's religious hype and hysteria (mostly in response to the "godless" Communist) won over and we abandoned the founder's principles for "In God we trust." We no longer want a nation of many peoples, races, religions, languages, and ancestries, now we only want conformists, people of a certain race and religion.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 06:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Develo

originally posted by: ManFromEurope
Yeah, or they are just parrots, repeating a meaningless parole as so many others did before them. Peer pressure?

It's really contradicting the the constitution claims freedom of beliefs and yet the pledge officials have to take is about the Christian monotheistic god (let's be honest, they did not have Allah in mind when they wrote this).
:

I hate to be the one to break this to you but Allah IS the Christian God. All three monotheistic religions worship the God of Abraham. The guy on Mt Sinai that gave Moses the Ten Commandments.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 07:03 AM
link   
a reply to: angrypsycho1977

That small of a sampling can be wildly skewed by simply choosing a particular zip code to do it in..

The vast majority of conservatives and republicans would be against a theocracy so again much wailing and mashing of teeth about didly squat.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Did you notice the other linked poll in which the results were based on N=1000 which yielded significant, similar results?

Did you notice the material linked on Republicans in three American states that are considering legislation that would make their states officially Christian?

Have you heard virtually any Republican give a speech in the last 30 years in which they didn't work in somehow that this is a Christian nation founded on Christian principles?

Data and evidence do not agree with your claims, not to mention, no one is wailing or gnashing teeth here.
edit on 7Thu, 26 Feb 2015 07:57:35 -060015p072015266 by Gryphon66 because: thread ----> poll

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Yes because politicians are always a reflection of the majority...

They are almost always a reflection of the vocal minority... A Christian ISIS isn't about to happen for a variety of reasons that have already been covered.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf

Yes because politicians are always a reflection of the majority...

They are almost always a reflection of the vocal minority... A Christian ISIS isn't about to happen for a variety of reasons that have already been covered.

Wait, weren't Republicans just arguing that the results of an election in which there was about a 3% difference in the votes cast by about 30% 36% of registered voters in this country was a Mandate from the People? The Republican politicians sent to the 114th Congress were supposed to overwhelmingly represent the true will of the People, right?

Further, I have made no claims about a Christian ISIS, although I have offered reference to organized groups of Dominionists that do have some similarities in their rhetoric, if not their actions, to this point anyway.
edit on 8Thu, 26 Feb 2015 08:04:23 -060015p082015266 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 08:04 AM
link   
What a christian state will do is subjugate and oppress more women. Forced pregnancies, gutted social programs, low paying jobs. Idaho is already there. Why are all religions that started in the ME so afraid of women and their power?

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Any moron can create a poll with leading questions to affect the desired outcome.

These are the same people who declared Martin Luther King should run for president.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 08:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: acackohfcc
Any moron can create a poll with leading questions to affect the desired outcome.

These are the same people who declared Martin Luther King should run for president.

How was it a leading question? In this particular poll?

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   

I get it religion is a boogeyman to some...

But a theocracy is decades off, and will most likely never happen for a variety of reasons.

We can start with the constitution...

If I am going to worry about something, I would suggest the growing probability of us becoming a police state, that's much more likely than a theocracy.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 08:33 AM
link   

I get it religion is a boogeyman to some...

But a theocracy is decades off, and will most likely never happen for a variety of reasons.

We can start with the constitution...

If I am going to worry about something, I would suggest the growing probability of us becoming a police state, that's much more likely than a theocracy.

Religion is not a boogeyman ... it's absurd, in my opinion.

Can you provide your reasoning and evidence for your idea that a theocracy is decades off (?) and will likely never happen for reasons that you can name?

Evidence has made clear that several iterations of Christian Republicans care nothing for the Constitution.

Concerns about the US becoming a police state ARE valid and you will find that many of us ARE worried about if you read around the site ... but that's not what we're discussing here.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 10:14 AM
link   

I'll be happy to once you explain how a sampling of 1300 people which had what 60% says yes to an "official " religion...

Became majority of Republicans want to turn the USA into a theocracy, Because that's what I've read in this thread.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   

I'll be happy to once you explain how a sampling of 1300 people which had what 60% says yes to an "official " religion...

Became majority of Republicans want to turn the USA into a theocracy, Because that's what I've read in this thread.

I can't "explain" that to you as that's NOT what I or anyone else has claimed here.

If you have a question about how scientific polling works, here you go: Fundamentals of Polling/Sampling

Go back and read again.

The recent smaller poll of 316 repondants placed the percentage at 57%.

An older more comprehensive poll from 2012 placed the percentage at 34%.

Links have been provided to several STATES that are considering legislation to make them officially "Christian."

Take a sampling of any Republican speech, media broadcast, or blog post, and I'm willing bet you that more than 2/3 of the time you will hear a reference to America as a Christian nation founded on Christian principles.

Would you deny that?

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

Meh.

People want a lot of things, but that doesn't mean that it will happen. I want smaller gov't, and I'd say so on a poll, but I know that it's realistically impossible. I'd like ignorant people with a bully pulpit to shut their breathe holes, but I know that is impossible (not to mention, goes against the Constitution, like a federally established religion).

This is ridiculous...plus, it's Think Progress.

'Nuff said.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   

if true it proves that proves that republicans don't respect or even understand the rule of law.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Not at all,some of the original edicts were based in Chtistian values,I wouldn't want them shoved down anyone's throat.
I DID like the pledge and our national anthem and even so I still won't stop other faiths from existing as they should choose but the traditional American values are Christian based and HAVE shaped who we are by our humanity and charitable nature.

Money has of course sullied a great deal here.
AND progrssive propaganda paints a false picture of the nominal Christian as well.
edit on 26-2-2015 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-2-2015 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: th3dudeabides

That would be true. There may be people who put god before country though, based on some of what I've read. At this juncture, I'm not overly concerned. But that doesn't mean don't keep an eye on it, right?

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

I'm not sure at all why you're addressing your post to me but ...

It is fair to say that all of Western Culture from the end of the Roman Empire to probably the late 1950s was "based on Christian values." Which the Christians inherited from the Jews and shared with the Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, etc.

Most human religions provide a decent moral basis ... as long as they aren't taken too dogmatically and literally and you ignore all the garbage and horror.

The Pledge had nothing to do with God until the late 40s. The National Anthem has nothing to do with God at all until you get to the fourth stanza ... and when's the last time you heard that?

So you think there are no Progressive Christians? Start here: Progressive Christianity

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Think Progress is a "project" of the American Progress Action Fund (APAF), a "sister advocacy organization" of the John Podesta-led Center for American Progress (CAP) and CAP's entities such as Campus Progress.

WOW!! Like Think Progress is going to say anything nice about Republicans. Enough said.

edit on 26-2-2015 by Tarzan the apeman. because: Freedom of Speech!

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Tarzan the apeman.

Why is that "enough said" exactly?

What does it matter if it's nice or naughty ... what concerns us should be is it true or false?

Do you realize that the poll was not designed or taken by Think Progress, but by Public Policy Polling - February 24, 2014

EDIT: Just for reference, here is their website: Public Policy Polling

We've established that the N=316 was insufficient for this to be a scientfic poll, but that fact that it was reported on by a Progressive website has no effect on whether the poll results are valid or not.

Logic.
edit on 17Thu, 26 Feb 2015 17:02:46 -060015p052015266 by Gryphon66 because: Noted.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join