It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Majority Of Republican Primary Voters Want To Establish Christianity As A National Religion

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Lots and lots of stars.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: AboveBoard
a reply to: beezzer

Come again?? Hm. I don't remember wanting to destroy the 2nd Amendment myself... I would agree that if someone is a staunch supporter of the 2nd Amendment, they should be equally strong minded about the 1st... Would you agree?

See, though, that's the precise rub. Some prefer a strict construtionist view when it suits their agenda, when it doesn't, they want to "interpret" and "explain" what the Founders actually "meant."

Comical, really. And sad ...

... very sad.

I would guess that the 33-34% that would favor a theocratic America is about right, all things considered.
edit on 13Wed, 25 Feb 2015 13:31:04 -060015p012015266 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I'm not a Christian, and I love this country.

I'm not going anywhere. I will fight these foolish Christian lunatics every chance I get and win. You will not convert me to your ancient un-evolved religion. I will shop where I want, get married to whomever and wherever I want, eat fish on Friday, and use the lords name in vain whenever I hit my finger with a hammer or stub my toe. You can't stop me.

Crazy, reactionary rant over. LOL

My only worry is that they will try to pass some laws, based on Christianity, that will adversely effect me and my country.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: AboveBoard
a reply to: beezzer

Come again?? Hm. I don't remember wanting to destroy the 2nd Amendment myself... I would agree that if someone is a staunch supporter of the 2nd Amendment, they should be equally strong minded about the 1st... Would you agree?

Certainly.

Though there are many here that look at the 2nd more as an annoyance than a Constitutional right.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Speaking as a conservate, the idea of a state based religion is ridiculous. The "lumping" of all conservatives, into a theocratic craving group of raving madmen, is also ridiculous...

Has everyone forgotten, that there is a religious-left ? Yes, there are liberals and democrats who also believe in God. I know they get kept under a rug, and very rarely spoken of... But they do exist. And now, this is going to completely blow some minds on this forum... But some of those religious-left, don't like gays.. *GASP*

Why is anyone, acting like this is a right-wing only affair ? Again, ridiculous.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

Where did they take this poll?

Outside of a Catholic church ? Lol

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: AboveBoard

By the way, if you haven't been following the threads of discussion here, anyone in support of any restrictions on gun purchase, ownership or carry are the one's "trying to trash the 2nd Amendment." Forget that the most conservative Justice on the Supreme Court, Scalia, has clearly stated that all rights including those enshrined in the 2nd have reasonable limits.

The 2nd does not. No background checks, no permits or licenses, no limit on automatic status, clip size, etc. Carry guns into schools, churches, shopping malls, airports, everywhere, anywhere, all the time. "Shall not infringe."

Beg pardon if I'm telling you something you already know.

Many of these same folks will be the first in line, however, to tell you that "shall make no law regarding establishment of religion" really means "other than Christian" and that "free exercise" doesn't mean that anyone has a right to practice no religion.

It's a very complex logic puzzle, if you look at it just right ...

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Go do your research on why the Pilgrims even came here in the first place

I think it's yourself who needs to do some research.

The Pilgrims left England for the sole reason of not wanting state interference in religious matters.

English Dissenters were Christians who separated from the Church of England in the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries.[1] Dissenters opposed state interference in religious matters, and founded their own churches, educational establishments,[2] and communities; some emigrated to the New World.

en.wikipedia.org...

The last thing The Pilgrims would have wanted would have been The State ( U.S. Government ) being involved with religion.

edit on 25-2-2015 by alldaylong because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
A national poll of Republican primary voters conducted by Public Policy Polling finds that 57 percent of these voters support “establishing Christianity as the national religion.”
Sure. What could go wrong?

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Ethics, personal growth, tolerance, education, diversity, philanthropy, family, community.

Every single individual has a responsibility to help make the world a better place.

^^This was the desire and core values exercised by Americas founding fathers.

Once the above is practiced and in place then concentrate on which religion should be the cornerstone.

my 2c as a non-yank.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck
Ha...yeah. When it's the primary voters that the candidates court and cater to and make crazy promises to and then either keep the crazy promises and piss everyone else off or don't keep them and piss them off. Either way we're all kind of screwed?

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Star for a very apt post ... but a question ... what if after those accomplishments, the answer to "which religion should be the cornerstone" becomes "none"?

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: DeadSeraph

I'm sure there might be some fundies out there that would like to see this happen, but I think most Christians are aware of the value of separation of church and state. What more evidence does one need than a cursory glance at the middle east?

This might be a better argument if most peoples' political opinions weren't based more on emotion than reason. Look at the huge number of people who believe that Americans are always on the brink of having Sharia law imposed on them? In that context, it might make perfect sense to a blithering idiot that we need to nip this (perceived) threat in the bud by declaring the US a "Christian Nation."
edit on 2015-2-25 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I'd encourage anyone really interested in this topic to do some research on Christian Dominion Theology, the New Apostolic Movement, etc., and then look at the politicians and policies those groups support.

It leaves little to the imagination.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

In all fairness most people either don't know where/how to find alternative new, or don't have the time to search, or don't know how to tell real news from all the bad alternative news.so they are stuck with sensationalist news ala fox,cnn,msnbc.

If all you see every night is sharia law is coming...it will eventually creep into your thoughts.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Very nice. To me, religion is but a subset of humanity and it's core elements. And a very private thing.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

There were a few threads on here about Dominionists, particularly in the U.S. corporate culture and those attempting to run for office. Once upon a time. Is that sort of what you are referring to?

One of the biggies is Blackwater (Xe, whatever they're called now) and their Crusader culture and mindset.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Yep.

I think its a great idea for folks to research it on their own though. I could post links, etc., but that'd just end up with the typical back-and-forth discreditation of sources, et. al.

Good arguments have been made that Dominionism, et. al. forms the underpinning of the structured Christian Right political faction.

For now though, unless there is more interest, I'll leave it to individual research.

edit on 15Wed, 25 Feb 2015 15:39:28 -060015p032015266 by Gryphon66 because: Spelling

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

The Pilgrims weren't the only ones to come to the Americas; that was the Massachusetts colony. A second, and arguably larger group settled a bit further south, and their particular form of worship centered on the farming and / or use of Tobacco. If they had a "god," it was called commerce.

Or didn't they teach you that in school?

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
I'd encourage anyone really interested in this topic to do some research on Christian Dominion Theology, the New Apostolic Movement, etc., and then look at the politicians and policies those groups support.
It leaves little to the imagination.
I'm also fond of the evangelicals that drool over the Middle East conflict that is supposed to bring on Armageddon, and float the true believers off to Paradise...intriguingly, what those Isis barbarians are apparently hoping for as well. Sure...let's have more religion in politics...that always works out well, right?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join