It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Medical Miracle! 3 Mo Premature Baby Born Still INSIDE His Amniotic Sac!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Silas Philips born 3 months premature by C-section

His hands and feet were clearly visible - but baby Silas Philips was in no rush to enter the world.

Born still inside his amniotic sac, he has since been described as a 'medical miracle' by doctors.

Silas was delivered three months prematurely at the Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in California.

And doctors performing the Caesarean section on his mother, Chelsea, were astonished to see his amniotic sac was still intact.

Pictures show Silas curled up inside with the placenta and umbilical cord, his tiny hands and a leg clearly visible.

And until the bag was broken, he was still getting oxygen through the placenta, CBS reported.

The amniotic sac is a bag of clear, pale fluid inside the womb where the unborn baby develops and grows.

The fluid helps to cushion the baby from bumps and injury, as well as providing it with fluids it can breathe and swallow. It also maintains a constant temperature for the baby.

Typically the amniotic sac breaks on its own during birth, which is commonly referred to as a mother's 'water breaking'.

Or during a C-section, the surgeon cuts through it to deliver the baby.

Doctors say the chance of the amniotic sac remaining completely intact after birth is 'ultra rare'.

It was a moment that mesmerised Dr William Binder, who delivered Silas.

'Even though it sounds cliched, we caught our breath,' he said. 'It really felt like a moment of awe... and one that will stick in my moment for some time.

Apparently this is so rare it only happens once in every 80,000 births. It's amazing how our bodies are! Has anyone ever heard of this happening before? This is new for me. Before today, I'd never heard of it before, but very intriguing!

I know I had a doctor tell me most bodies see a pregnancy as a parasite, but allows the parasite to thrive until it is ready to be expelled from the body. My body is so odd, it sees the pregnancy as a virus and the white blood cells attack the pregnancy until it dies and has to be expelled from the body. My daughter was very lucky to be alive because of this.

Being born sac intact is definitely new for me though.
edit on 2/25/2015 by Anyafaj because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 01:09 AM
link   
You fixed it! Great story, though I don't have any idea how rare this is. Or why it is rare.

I know babies aren't brought by a stork or pooped out, but thats about the extent of my knowledge.
edit on 2520150220151 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 01:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1

Not sure if that's the vid you want OP.

I don't know what is up! I copy the right stuff, then poof! Bah! I'll see if I can fix it. I appreciate it Domo! You're a sweety!

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 01:27 AM
link   
We've got ourselves a badass here.
This child deserves its own Jelly Belly flavor.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Mom was super cute. "You're a little special baayby!".

Wishing this special little one a wonderful life!

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 02:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
You fixed it! Great story, though I don't have any idea how rare this is. Or why it is rare.

I know babies aren't brought by a stork or pooped out, but thats about the extent of my knowledge.

Thanks for the laugh. You are forgiven, now go and be ejumacated. LOL

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 04:13 AM
link   
I thought this was called being born in the caul? I don't understand how this is considered rare, uncommon would seem to be more accurate from my interactions. I know several women whom gave birth to theirs in the caul. Percentage-wise, that equals roughly 10% or so of moms I've met & befriended over the years. Similarly, they know people in the same boat, too. Maybe it's just under-reported with the boom in home births in the US?
edit on 2/25/2015 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 07:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
I thought this was called being born in the caul? I don't understand how this is considered rare, uncommon would seem to be more accurate from my interactions. I know several women whom gave birth to theirs in the caul. Percentage-wise, that equals roughly 10% or so of moms I've met & befriended over the years. Similarly, they know people in the same boat, too. Maybe it's just under-reported with the boom in home births in the US?

Having a caul is just a piece of it, not the whole thing according to Wiki
n.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caul

A caul or cowl (Latin: Caput galeatum, literally, "helmeted head") is a piece of membrane that can cover a newborn's head and face.[1] Birth with a caul is rare, occurring in fewer than 1 in 80,000 births. The caul is harmless and is immediately removed by the physician or midwife upon delivery of the child. The "en-caul" birth, not to be confused with the "caul" birth, occurs when the infant is born inside the entire amniotic sac. The sac balloons out at birth, with the amniotic fluid and child remaining inside the unbroken or partially broken membrane.

new topics

top topics

join