It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Going to get into running/working out in general

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Alright, i'm just gonna start out and state some facts - i am a fatass, and i am lazy as hell. I'd honestly rather play video games all day that get out and exercise...but thats not gonna find me a girlfriend.

I'm a weird sort of fat though, if i wear the right clothes, i look like an average guy whos not that overweight, couple extra pounds, you know. When i take my shirt off though, its a whole new story, ive got (and have had since i was 8) man boobs, not puffy man boobs, but full on droopy man boobs that flop about when i run. Ever since highschool, i have desperately wanted to start to rid myself of these women repellants, but i just cant get up the courage to just get out and run like i should - ive always been self conscious of the way i jiggle. Ive been looking into these compression shirts that supposedly "hide" your man boobs, but theyre marketed towards old guys who just are too lazy to workout. I dont want to get these shirts just so i dont have to work out, i want to get them so i can feel confident in myself when i run/workout at the gym. I started to lose them the last couple years just from my job as a dishwasher at a busy restaurant, but i havent worked there for a year now, and i have noticed recently, my man boobs poking through my shirts, making me super self conscious again, and destroying my new found confidence

The main reason i wanna start working out now is that i've been talking to this cute girl on Tinder the last couple weeks, and she seems to be pretty into me, i'm just worried that we'll meet up one day and she'll realize me for the fatass i truly am, and gravitate away from me like my last (and only) girlfriend ive ever had. Personality, and a handsome face only gets you so far...so i need to start working out, ASAP. Yall can say all you want that personality is all that matters, but i'm 19, shes 18 - physical attraction at our age is a MUST for any interest to stick...

Any other ATSers with a similar problem have experience with these shirts i'm talking about, if so - do they work? What brand would you recommend?

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Been there mate, I'm naturally lazy, naturally nocturnal and love all things unhealthy... I still battle every day with my bad habits... still too much drinking of ginger or 'pop' if you're an American and I've never been the type to exercise naturally but I make myself do it as much as possible.

When I was aged 13 through to 20 I was chubby, not fat but chubby but like yourself if I wore a jacket etc I just looked quite built, and I worked as a labourer back then so it seemed to fit the image... but it bothered me, I've tried exercising on and off for years but I've never found anything that I could do everyday, I run from routine... but sporadic exercise is alright as long as the gap between isn't too great, I'm 26 now and I'd say I am reasonably healthy, I'll list what I do at the end of this post but firstly, on the shirt question you posed, I use a back brace, simple one, wraps round from the back then you pull it tight and it's got a velcro bit to hold it together, when I'm exercising and it's heavy on my back then I wear it on my back but if I'm running or doing other cardiovascular exercises, I put it round my chest, it creates more resistance, but also used to stop a flabby chest from jiggling about... so I think it's a good option for you if you are conscious of your chest whilst running or just going out and it's good for your chest and breathing also.

Remember that you are only 19 and everything seems permanent at that age and it really Is not, you will lose the weight because you want to lose the weight, you will meet someone because you want to meet someone and you know what you have to offer, you just have this slight confidence hurdle to overcome but it is hardship and adversity that creates character, so by overcoming It you will gain more knowledge of yourself in the process and also then have more to offer someone else anyway,.

This is my 'routine' anyway;
Nootropics (amino acid compounds etc "smart drugs" more for the brain than the body but feed the goose, feed the gander as they say....)
Vitamins (all of them are important but vitamin c, d and b1 and b2 are particularly important)
Macaroot (read up on It of you haven't already, good for blood pressure etc)
Magnesium (for muscle development and energy levels)

Pure oxygen - every once in in a while and especially before and after exercise or just first thing In the morning, a few breaths of pure oxygen makes you feel great, fully alert and aids the muscles in recovery or growth.
Meditation - speaks for itself, try it for 20 minutes in the morning and at night if you can, promotes good health and balance, improves the body / mind connection in general.

And in terms of the actual exercise I like T25, by shaun Williams, it's a 25 minute intense workout although you can do it at your own pace, I've never been the gym type so doing this at home is ideal for me.
I also lift weights, sporadically .. and I sleep 10 hours a night because... you just should.

I'm not pretending to have have a great routine or that this is the 'perfect body workout' but I don't think that's what you are looking for and this works for me, isn't too hard on me, doesn't feel like a chore or obligation and isn't particularly regimented so I won't run away from it, all the things I mentioned are available on amazon btw, but you'd get them anywhere else easy enough. Hopefully I've typed at least something of interest to you that you might adopt bit either way, I wish you all the best with this and I was in a similar situation at the same age (not that I'm that much older now...) so I'm sure it'll work out.

All the best, regards,
Elijah23

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 01:08 AM
link   
a reply to: 8fl0z

Congrats

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Don't just go out running if you aren't used to it...get some sturdy boots or shoes and start by walking at a fast pace at least three times a week-go to the gym by all means,talk to a trainer and exercise carefully.

Stop eating or drinking anything with sugar,sweetener or grains in it.

Tell the girl that you're overweight.She'll stay if she's a good person.

Restrict game time to one or two hours a day.

Have fun.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Eat less exercise more - literally that is all you need.
Losing weight is like 80% diet so until you control that, there's no point in coming up with an amazing regime.
Give up bread, fizzy drinks, processed food and junk crap - and if you can't give it up then cut down.
Eat fruit and vegetables for snacks, drink water.

The number one thing you need to help - if you have a cell phone - is get an App called MyFitnessPal (MFP)it's free you log what you eat through the day and can set how much you want to lose in weight.
Max is 2lbs a week and minimum calories is 1300 a day for men I believe.

Seriously, it will change your life.

I've lost 49lbs since July and only started using MFP in November, it's been a big help.
I wasn't particularly big before but needed to shift some weight and get healthy.
Diet is most of it but you need to exercise too - 30 mins 5 times a week.
Doesn't have to be the gym, can be a good walk, cycling or weights/resistance training.

Good luck dude - you seriously can do it.
If I can then trust me. Anyone can.

If you need any help at all with the APP or anything else, advice, motivation or anything - shoot me a PM man.

edit on 25-2-2015 by stargatetravels because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 09:22 AM
link   

I've been into bodybuilding for about a year and a half now and along with the exercise part of it is the nutrition and diet side of it - some say the diet contributes to 70% of your physique, with exercise only amounting to the remaining 30%. Personally, I think it's more like 60/40 but there are so many ways you can very easily boost your metabolism and burn fat without even exercising! For example - try to eat a BIG breakfast (and fit in a lot of your carbs for this breakfast if possible) - this will get your metabolism fired up first thing in the morning and stay active all day, burning more calories.

Also, drink cold water - the cold means your body has to heat it up, I think every cup of cold water burns like 50 calories or so. And water itself is a fat burner since it allows your body's cellular activities to operate; water is the vehicle by which nutrients AND wastes move through the body so plenty of water is a must.

Feel free to DM me and I can give you some more insights - I love this stuff. Congrats on taking a step in the right direction and being motivated to make that change
That's awesome dude!

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   

People will tell you all the tricks in the world but honestly it all boils down to you to keep up with the routine.
Keep to the basics for now, weigh yourself now, and keep on an active weekly weigh in.
In between just review what you are putting into your body, cut out sugary drinks, if you drink coffee take it black, replace rum and cokes with a light beer, start making your meals at home, walk to places that are near by instead of transit or car.
Get into a daily walking routine for at least 25 minutes about 4 times a week, and slowly increase to a light jog.

When you have lost a bit of weight, gotten your heart used to exercise and into a good daily routine then start to pick up some weights and maybe even a light run, or hitting the gym.

If you jump right into it, it'll be a shock to your system and your attitude, if you just start hitting the gym you might get demotivated or over do it. First month will always be the hardest, but slowly get into it, and even that you WILL notice a difference.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   
With summer fast approaching I too am trying to get into shape. I'd say the above responses are all correct; consistent diet, consistent exercise, consistent adequate sleep will all get you the results you want with time. Try to find yourself a workout partner too, somebody to help keep you honest and accountable. Any progress I've made is because we don't let each other skip workouts. Best of luck with the fitness and the girl!

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Your main goal is to get fit without getting hurt. Going too far too fast, before your body is ready is one of the most common causes of injuries like shin splints, IT band syndrome, and runner’s knee, which sideline many people. You can stay injury-free by gradually building up the time you spend walking and running, increasing the time by no more than 10 percent from week to week. By following our Start Running plan, you'll get week to week guidance on exactly how much running to add so you stay healthy.

top topics

join