It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida deputy drags mentally ill woman through courthouse by shackled feet...video

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

originally posted by: boymonkey74
a reply to: Vasa Croe

I thought people get trained to transport people safely and correctly?.
Yes she should have been removed but in a safe and respectful manner.

I agree, but if the convicted criminal won't comply with a reasonable and safe transport by sitting down, then the only option left is to forcefully remove.

Guess he could have just left her there to cry, but I believe legal proceedings require the immediate transport of the criminal from the court back to a holding facility prior to being transported to jail/prison.

I would say that was a pretty humane way to move her actually....she wouldn't sit or walk so he slid her down the hallway on her shirt by her feet.....it's not like there were speedbumps or anything to hurt her along the way.

Am i missing something here?

You said. "convicted criminal" I thought the article said "found mentally incompetent" which means she can't even understand that she commited a crime, thus is not guilty of said crime.

Am I wrong?

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

There was another sheriff there I think she and the fella should have either been to the side of her walking leading her by her arms (already cuffed) and If she just became a dead weight a wheelchair could be used.
But the thing was sometimes people just need a couple of minutes to just calm down and putting hands on someone rarely gets a response of compliance.
This is abuse whether she has broken the law or mentally ill or both.
Mental health training all around needs to happen in the court and prison system.
So many of the guys who I looked after who were sectioned came from prisons.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Poor poor criminals....guess she ALSO could have complied with the LEO order...I mean call me crazy, but she was just convicted of a crime and still doesn't comply with the law....

Ummm...NOT CONVICTED....Read the story AGAIN...

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: HomerinNC

Poor poor criminals....guess she ALSO could have complied with the LEO order...I mean call me crazy, but she was just convicted of a crime and still doesn't comply with the law....

It doesn't say not convicted either. Mentally incompetent was the term used, and clearly she is still being detained as she is still in shackles. If you are innocent they unlock you.....

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Do you REALLY believe that??
*sigh*
Never mind, go back to sleep...
Its better for you that way

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   

She is still in holding, the hearing was about mental competency to stand trial. Some reports also say that she was declared unfit, I don't know if that is true or not, it makes no difference. As for any friction burns on the back?? He was dragging her by the ankle shackles, who'd have thought that would hurt?

edit on 24-2-2015 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Whether convicted or not, that is no way to treat anyone, especialy someone with mental health problems.
You say you drag your own kids about like that, thats fine, I've done it myself with my own kids and like yours they liked it, but what if you weren't playing!!! Would you still drag them by their feet? I'd like to know!

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   
It is time to change ATS's motto to "We don't deny ignorance, we embrace it".

Did any of you who make the claim that she was, "just convicted of a crime", bother to read what was posted or watch the video?

Any of you at all?

Here is the quote from the OP, which is also stated in the video very clearly....

The court had just declared Rios mentally incompetent in a felony trespassing case.

Being declared mentally incompetent is NOT, I repeat NOT, the same as being convicted of a crime. What it means is that she is mentally unstable and to put her through the court process would be unconstitutional. Normally these people are sent to a hospital for mental evaluation and treatment. They are NOT convicted. They are NOT even tried for a crime.

The term incompetency has several meanings in the law. When it is used to describe the mental condition of a person subject to legal proceedings, it means the person is neither able to comprehend the nature and consequences of the proceedings nor adequately able to help an attorney with his defense. When it is used to describe the legal qualification of a person, it means the person does not have the legal capacity to enter a contract. When it is employed to describe a professional duty or obligation, it means that the person has demonstrated a lack of ability to perform professional functions.

Source

Let's now talk facts..... this is a mentally ill, unstable women. A women who was just been declared as such by a Court. We have a problem in this Country with Police response towards mentally ill people. After watching this video, it is clear to see why. There is no compassion, no empathy, and no respect.

If this were a completely normal person who was refusing to walk or comply, I actually would applaud the Court Officer for dragging that person out. This is not a normal person. This is not some person who is capable of understanding what is going on. If she were, the Court would not have ruled her to be mentally incompetent. What's next for some of you? Cheering when they drag out some autistic kid with an IQ of 2?

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   
source

And according to the less-biased ORIGINAL story she was also in custody for violating probation on a prior felony drug charge...

According to witnesses, Rios was in court before Broward Judge Kal Le Var Evans for a mental competency hearing on a misdemeanor case. She is also being held without bond in the Broward Main Jail for violating probation on a felony drug possession case.

So yeah...still not feeling too sorry. She was obviously convicted in that instance since she was on probation...

Have to love how the other story conveniently leaves that part out....
edit on 2/24/15 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 05:12 PM
link   

But the thing was sometimes people just need a couple of minutes to just calm down and putting hands on someone rarely gets a response of compliance.

That's exactly what she asked for....a transcript,

“Stop! You’re hurting me!” she can be heard screams. “You’re ****ing hurting me! I hate my life! I wish they would kill me already! Why do I have to be alive?”

“I gave you a chance…” Johnson can be heard retorting.

“You didn’t give nobody a chance,” she responds. “All I wanted to do was sob for a few minutes — cry. That’s all I wanted to do was cry for a few minutes.”

“I’m not going back to get beat up!” Rios yells in the video. “I’m not going back to get beat up by BSO! No!”

The video ends with Rios getting dragged through the doorway screaming “No! No! No!”

Witnesses say that Rios had been in court with Broward Judge Kal Le Var Evans for a mental competency hearing on a minor misdemeanor case. She is currently being held without bond in the Broward Main Jail on a probation violation drug charge.

Assistant Public Defender Lynn DeSanti said she witnessed it all, “He basically picked up this girl, yanked her off the bench."

This is the lady's record,

POSSESSION OF COCAINE
DRUG PARAPHERNALIA-POSSESS AND OR USE
CAPIAS - FEL
OUT OF CO HOLD - MISD
OUT OF CO HOLD - MISD

Another public defender is also a witness, and the video was taken by an attorney.

countercurrentnews.com...

edit on 24-2-2015 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Do you REALLY believe that??
*sigh*
Never mind, go back to sleep...
Its better for you that way

Yep...especially based on the original story. If she was convicted before, possibly her drug use is what made her so crazy as to make her mentally incompetent? If that is the case then she even brought it on herself....

She was being held for this new count AND a probation violation of a prior FELONY!

Again....not a whole lot of sympathy for a really stupid criminal.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   

It doesn't say not convicted either. Mentally incompetent was the term used, and clearly she is still being detained as she is still in shackles. If you are innocent they unlock you.....

Don't you grasp the meaning of "mentally incompetent"?
Of course she was in shackles, the judgement of incompetent had just been rendered so she was headed to a treatment facility of some sort I would assume because she was "mentally incompetent" thus no trial was necessary due to the fact that she was in mental "meltdown" for lack of a more medical term.
Do you drag your children by their heels when they say they need a minute to compose themselves? I doubt it because I don't think you're an imbecile and a jerk but your response to this incident is heartless and arrogant---as though someone going through a mental meltdown could follow orders....
One could conclude from your response that if one of your children suffered mental disease it would be okay with you if a LEO did this to them....seriously?

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
www.rawstory.com...

An investigation into a Florida deputy was launched this week after video surfaced showing him dragging a handcuffed mentally ill woman through the Broward County Courthouse by her shackled feet.

Attorney Bill Gelin was in the courthouse on Monday and used his cellphone to capture the dramatic video of Broward County Deputy Christopher Johnson dragging 28-year-old Dasyl Jeanette Rios down a hallway, the Sun Sentinel reported.

The court had just declared Rios mentally incompetent in a felony trespassing case. According to WSVN, Rios couldn’t say goodbye to her mother after the ruling, and was taken to a hallway. When she refused to sit on a bench, Johnson began dragging her through the courthouse.

She should be glad she wasn't shot, tazered or peppersprayed.

Hell...I drag my kids by their feet for fun on the floors at the house and they laugh.

Wussification of America is what this story is about.

Dragging your children with your hands is a different scenario than dragging someone with handcuffs in terms of psychological impact and physical pain. This is a ridiculous comparison and an immoral attempt to confuse the situation.

They should not have moved this woman this way.

Period.

Done.

How about you let me cuff your ankles and drag you down a hallway and see if you think it is still comparable to fun and games with children. I'll bet you don't.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: FalcoFan
a reply to: olaru12

Since when did the "mentally ill" start getting those tramp stamps (tattoos above the rear)?

Maybe she should have spent those hundreds of dollars that the tattoos cost and spent it on meds?

They're called mentally ill for a reason. My sister is mentally is and doesn't take her meds. She doesn't like the way they make her feel. She's bipolar. She self medicates with various other drugs and alcohols instead and is homeless. Her money goes exactly there. Tattoos, drugs, cigarettes, booze, and food. Mentally ill MEANS your head is NOT in the right place! Especially the ones who are severely mentally ill. Some who are just slightly mentally ill, can take their meds, they CAN take care of themselves, but you have some out there, like this lady, like my sister, who cannot. It sad, but it's out there, and families like mine deal with this daily! We never know if there will be a day when we will get a call to either bail her out, or come identify a body.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   

I agree, but if the convicted criminal won't comply with a reasonable and safe transport by sitting down, then the only option left is to forcefully remove.

Guess he could have just left her there to cry, but I believe legal proceedings require the immediate transport of the criminal from the court back to a holding facility prior to being transported to jail/prison.

I would say that was a pretty humane way to move her actually....she wouldn't sit or walk so he slid her down the hallway on her shirt by her feet.....it's not like there were speedbumps or anything to hurt her along the way.

So Vasa, you'd have no problem being dragged by cuffs on your feet then? You realized when someone grabs the chains in the middle, the cuffs dig into the skin, right? I'm positive this was not a pleasant experience for this woman, this was humiliating in the minimum, and painful in the maximum. They should have used the jail restraint chair.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: infinityorder

Am i missing something here?

You said. "convicted criminal" I thought the article said "found mentally incompetent" which means she can't even understand that she commited a crime, thus is not guilty of said crime.

Am I wrong?

No, you're not. If found mentally incompetent, charges are dropped until the defendant is found to be competent. My daughter is mentally retarded due to brain damage and autism. The police charged her with simple assault for hitting me because they thought it would "teach her a lesson". No amount of education would enlighten anyone, so I got more and more frustrated. Her public defender got her a psych eval, the psych eval ruled, she was mentally incompetent to stand trial, charges were dropped until she is competent, obviously that will be never, sooooo......

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   

There was another sheriff there I think she and the fella should have either been to the side of her walking leading her by her arms (already cuffed) and If she just became a dead weight a wheelchair could be used.
This is abuse whether she has broken the law or mentally ill or both.
Mental health training all around needs to happen in the court and prison system.
So many of the guys who I looked after who were sectioned came from prisons.

My daughter went to county jail for 2 weeks. It was a mess! They refused her meds, including her seizure meds because the "jail doctor didn't prescribe them". Really? He's a neurologist now? They pulled the same stunt with her autism meds, which you can't just stop outright! You have to gradually taper. Ugh! The games I had to play with these people. Finally I had enough. My daughter had $1000 no cash bond, the warden and I agreed, just bond her out, enough was enough., I brought her home just to be assaulted over and over again. But it was either that or have her go into a seizure and die because of those idiots when her problem was a psychiatric one. She's finally in a group home and settled now.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Anyafaj

So Vasa, you'd have no problem being dragged by cuffs on your feet then? You realized when someone grabs the chains in the middle, the cuffs dig into the skin, right? I'm positive this was not a pleasant experience for this woman, this was humiliating in the minimum, and painful in the maximum. They should have used the jail restraint chair.

I wouldn't know...not a criminal and never been in the position for it to happen.

If she wouldn't comply with orders, the how do you propose they get her into a restraint chair?

She was obviously competent enough on her past cases to be convicted....seems drug use may have ruined that for her...so like I said, I don't have any sadness in my heart for a felon that disobeys an order.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   
That's messed up. Treating her like she's furniture or something. I'm surprised they didn't kick the crap out of her when she grabbed the sign. They've beat people to death for less.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   

source

And according to the less-biased ORIGINAL story she was also in custody for violating probation on a prior felony drug charge...

According to witnesses, Rios was in court before Broward Judge Kal Le Var Evans for a mental competency hearing on a misdemeanor case. She is also being held without bond in the Broward Main Jail for violating probation on a felony drug possession case.

So yeah...still not feeling too sorry. She was obviously convicted in that instance since she was on probation...

Have to love how the other story conveniently leaves that part out....

I noticed you left this part out as well.

The incident was caught on cellphone video by attorney Bill Gelin, who was in the hallway as the events unfolded. Witnesses and some who saw the video afterward decried the deputy's conduct as inhumane. Public Defender Howard Finkelstein called it criminal.

In a written report to her supervisor, Assistant Public Defender Rhonda Boettcher said Rios had been declared incompetent and, after her hearing was over, was heard arguing with a female deputy in the courtroom. Johnson interceded and escorted Rios into the hallway, Boettcher said. Once there, Rios sat on a bench and started to cry.

Assistant Public Defender Lynn DeSanti, who is married to Gelin, said she saw Johnson say "Get up, we're leaving." When Rios wouldn't get up, Johnson got physical, DeSanti said.

"He basically picked up this girl, yanked her off the bench, and started dragging her through the hallway," she said. "I said 'Stop it! What are you doing to her?' But he just told her, 'You don't want to walk? I'm going to drag you.'"

"This is just barbarism," said Gelin, the main contributor for the JAABlog courthouse news and gossip site. "The truly disgusting part is, during that entire breakdown, you can hear her telling them she's mentally ill. There's no excuse."

"I'm not going back to get beat up!" Rios yells. "I'm not going back to get beat up by BSO! No!"

She apparently thought the Sheriffs were going to assault her, right or wrong. And in a sense, they all but proved her right by dragging her down the hallway. They could have proved her assessment wrong by talking with her, calming her down and asking her why she thought that way. Let her say goodbye to her mother for crying out loud. If that's what ALL of this was over, this could have all been solved with a bit of humanity.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join