It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama vetoes Keystone XL pipeline bill

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phoenix
I guess his buddy's at Berkshire Hathaway would rather have higher risk of train derailments as long as the money keeps rolling in to the DNC.

The Koch's probably paid to have the train derailed. See how that works?

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: superman2012
Canada needs to know! Are we selling to the US or to China?
If he does approve it himself, he is either going to sink or swim with it, don't you think? I'm not too sure why he would do this for any other reason.

Nothing has changed, you're still selling the oil to China just like you planned from the beginning.

Not that it matters. Personally, I'd like to see it left in the ground.

Good for Obama!!!
edit on 24-2-2015 by Flatfish because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Actually, the evidence is pipelines are safer than rail transportation.

Arguing the jobs would be short-lived is spin. Pipelines are being built around the country as we speak. The issue is politically based...support of Buffet's BNSF railroad.

The real question is whether the next step, an override of that veto, is in the works and if there is a chance that occurs.

Even the unions support the GOP on this one...Obama stands alone.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   
If you do some research you'll see that there are some imminent domain issues. That means they're taking land from hard working people. Don't we have freedom? Secondly, all pipelines leak and this one goes over some pretty big and important aquifers. Thirdly, if you research it, you'll see that it really doesn't create a whole lot of jobs. The only people that benefit are the oil companies and the politicians. Tell me again why we need this monstrosity?

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Right On Barry! Putting an oil pipeline across the bread basket of America and across the largest aquafer in the midwest? Of course we do have nuclear power, don't we? I don't think the myopic creators of this excersise in stupidity could have conceived of the most obvious question, what to do about the radioactive waste? Has profit become more important than the survival of our species? The Planet? I think so, Kapitalism = suicide. Not just capitalism, all these isms that separate us from one another, it is killing us. It is time to stop... What of leaking, filthy, tar sand oil? "What is not statisically impossible, is compulsory"- Enriquo Ferme.

edit on 24-2-2015 by HUMBLEONE because: PEACE

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

IF you research it. All pipelines do not leak.

If you research it, The oil companies couldn't care less how the crude is transported. Rail or pipeline, either way the oil gets to the refineries. Therefore oil companies neither profit or lose either way.

If you research it, The difference between a rail oil spill and a pipeline is about three-five feet in depth..

I will cede the eminent domain issues. I believe having a second transportation system-not a monopoly- is senior in worth overall.

You minimize the 'jobs" seems the unions disagree with you.....

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   

When's the last time you've heard of a pipeline leaking for 1+ months?

2nd-

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Freaking Yankee stupidity....
Yadda Yadda about the pipeline and aquifers.....
WHEN YOU BUILT A GODAMN HUGE NUCLEAR WASTE DISPOSAL SITE RIGHT ON TOP OF THE BIGGEST AQUIFER ALREADY!!.....It supplies water to 8 states...really really bright thinking there eh?

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I bet the Lakota and other native nations in the area of the proposed route are happy. It would have passed onto sovereign territory and endangered sacred sites, among other things. It would have also been yet another broken treaty.

Link

Further, they said that authorization of the pipeline was an act of war.

Source

Oglala Lakota matriarch Regina Brave explains why she doesn't want it.

Here is a press release from the Lakota nation:

You can bet that this sentiment is echoed by traditionals all across Indian country. They do not want this on their land.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 09:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: stirling
Freaking Yankee stupidity....
Yadda Yadda about the pipeline and aquifers.....
WHEN YOU BUILT A GODAMN HUGE NUCLEAR WASTE DISPOSAL SITE RIGHT ON TOP OF THE BIGGEST AQUIFER ALREADY!!.....It supplies water to 8 states...really really bright thinking there eh?

Why are you crying Yankee stupidity? The dump was built in Texas. So you should be complaining about that ignorant red neck Perry for allowing to be built. So thanks to stupid Republicans we already have one risk to the aquifer do we really want to push our chances with another risk?

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 09:08 PM
link   
great

over vote the veto

then hold hearings to impeach this villain of a constitutional republic

the ideas of a law abiding dissident, not a political Jihadist

originally posted by: nwtrucker

The real question is whether the next step, an override of that veto, is in the works and if there is a chance that occurs.
Even the unions support the GOP on this one...Obama stands alone.

Well... then this Issue might very well be when/If the rest-of-the-nation throws off the shackles we were cuffed with by the Øbama political-correctness which allowed him to become a Tyrant over the population & the Congress
edit on th28142483450324212015 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 09:16 PM
link   

What difference is there between this pipe-line and all the "shovel ready jobs" that were promised by Obama and his stimulus? At least with the pipe-line jobs would actually appear. All jobs that would be short term, but would still be jobs. And yes pipe-lines can leak but since people have their knickers in a knot over carrying oil via rail ways, it would be better I think in some minds to have a small controllable leak as opposed to having a tanker accident with the potential of a explosion. This is more about denying the republicans than anything else.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 09:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: St Udio
great

over vote the veto

then hold hearings to impeach this villain of a constitutional republic

the ideas of a law abiding dissident, not a political Jihadist

By voting for this pipeline congress is wanting to break the treaty with the Native American and as it states in the Constitution treaty are the Supreme law of the land. So Obama is upholding the law of the land by vetoing the pipeline. The Jihad remark is just too stupid to even comment on.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: St Udio

Well... then this Issue might very well be when/If the rest-of-the-nation throws off the shackles we were cuffed with by the Øbama political-correctness which allowed him to become a Tyrant over the population & the Congress

Oh please. The only people supporting this pipeline are the big money interests and that includes the unions and the people who know nothing about it because all they have heard is the line of BS that the Republicans have fed them. Go check into the people that actually live in the area the pipeline is supposed to go through they don't want it. The Native Americans don't want it, the farmers don't want it and even the governors of the states it is supposed to go through said they don't want it. So where in hell are you getting this ignorant tyrant crap from? If there are any tyrants in this it's congress who wants to break the treaties with the Native Americans.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Wow. Good news for once. It seems like Keystone is still a possibility, but for the time being we can celebrate!

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 11:40 PM
link   
25 USA jobs. And oils is for export. Money is made yes. But by bribes politicians took to push this crap though and steal land though eminent domain.

www.politifact.com...

Wrong a reply to: chiefsmom

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 11:43 PM
link   
So basically the argument for this is...we have a few already messing up the environment ..what's one more?

Genius argument..

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Well, I don't recall ever saying this before. Obama did the right thing. Wow, that felt really weird.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 03:26 AM
link   
As a local Nebraskan I can tell you that there are quite a few people here triumphanting this call.

Most farmers here felt railroaded.
Not to mention the aquifer that we all enjoy.

ETA: Nobody here likes Obama (huge red state) but they applaud this decision.

You've got to understand how much the railroad makes for this state too.
edit on 25-2-2015 by Chickensalad because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 04:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

and the GOP announced they will try a veto override. Considering the fact it was a Bi Partisan bill I don't think there will be an issue getting enough votes from both sides to override.

Should get interesting.
edit on 25-2-2015 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join