It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ISIS burns 8,000 Rare Books and Manuscripts in Mosul

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Thats why I can't get on the side or atheism because they claim the benevolence of reason and science without religion. The same arrogance I see from religion I see from people without religion. The truth is that people are the issue and people cause evil and people cause book burning. People use religion as an excuse to commit evil

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Apparently, other posters did not get the historical reference (starting in the 4th Century A.C.E).

originally posted by: misskat1
It worked for Christianity. Would there be so many Christians in the world, if the Catholic's wouldnt have killed everyone who disagreed or if they had not burned all other Holy Books?

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: misskat1

Christianity came to power from pagans (Romans) of course they implemented pagan rituals and beliefs.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI

Thats why I can't get on the side or atheism because they claim the benevolence of reason and science without religion. The same arrogance I see from religion I see from people without religion. The truth is that people are the issue and people cause evil and people cause book burning. People use religion as an excuse to commit evil

Sure....people will always find a reason to kill and torture others. It is human nature. Religion just gives them an easy "reason" for it.

Though I can't say I remember the last Atheist uprising that massacred people and burned books.....maybe you could point me in the right direction?

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Maybe it is better to destroy some of the History Books anyway.

If it had been done before... say around 1950 burnt destroyed books which taught about how wars were won and lost and who were involved and what cost, then maybe we wouldn't be in this situation we are in today.

Not to mention some Religious texts...

Just a thought

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

Sure....people will always find a reason to kill and torture others. It is human nature. Religion just gives them an easy "reason" for it.

Though I can't say I remember the last Atheist uprising that massacred people and burned books.....maybe you could point me in the right direction?

You didn't study Mao or Stalin in school?

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

You didn't study Mao or Stalin in school?

Sure...but I don't think they murdered in the name of atheism. Though I am well outside of school age and can't say that with any conviction at all at this point. I thought it was more related to Communism for both....really just oppression of everything in general.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Why do you think Christianity is the only religion that would hindered someone else's religion? You think atheists wouldn't burn books if they were the majority?

Religion is oppressive in general, of just about everything. I think atheism actually has it right, and if all religion was banished the world would be a much happier place. As it is, religion is the sole cause for most of the conquering nations in history to have killed for. But all the big ones claim they are peaceful....silly.

& after religion is banished and everyone is an Atheist...
Anyone who is born after this who has a Divine experience or a belief in God?

Lock them up?
Drug them in a mental institution?
Ludovico Technique until they conform to the enlightened Atheist way?

You're smart enough to know that Religion is about as dangerous as a loaded weapon...
Those who wield it are the potential threat!

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Josef Stalin took it quite far in the late 30s.

Mao Zedong probably took it even further a while later.

Killers will be killers.

Remove their favourite excuse, they'll go for second best, remove that, then it's third time lucky.

History, and possibly the future, is littered with these monsters of belief or non-belief...

We don't need to abolish or outlaw these things...
We just need to be vigilant enough to restrict these people becoming powerful & influential...

Although both are probably impossible anyways.

The next best thing is tolerance and not allowing those to divide us up.
edit on 24-2-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Communism is atheism...

Atheism however isn't Communism...

In fact Communism is probably closer to anti-theist atheism when discussing Mao, Stalin & maybe even Pol Pot.

I'm guessing more recently Kim Yong Un (would be/is in fact) similar if there (was/is) a Religious presence in the DPRK.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

Why do you think Christianity is the only religion that would hindered someone else's religion? You think atheists wouldn't burn books if they were the majority?

Religion is oppressive in general, of just about everything. I think atheism actually has it right, and if all religion was banished the world would be a much happier place. As it is, religion is the sole cause for most of the conquering nations in history to have killed for. But all the big ones claim they are peaceful....silly.

& after religion is banished and everyone is an Atheist...
Anyone who is born after this who has a Divine experience or a belief in God?

Lock them up?
Drug them in a mental institution?
Ludovico Technique until they conform to the enlightened Atheist way?

You're smart enough to know that Religion is about as dangerous as a loaded weapon...
Those who wield it are the potential threat!

Well...divine experience is something I view as a mental illness. There are PLENTY of cases in history that some of the most prolific serial killers have referenced such happening to them. Should they be released or forgiven?

Religion is very dangerous.

There really is no right answer. Problem is that those with religion that have an inkling for power just can't let it be for others to not care about that religion.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 06:19 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

That was only a prelude, there
where they burn books,
they burn in the end people.
Heinrich Heine 1820

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Communism is atheism...

Atheism however isn't Communism...

In fact Communism is probably closer to anti-theist atheism when discussing Mao, Stalin & maybe even Pol Pot.

I'm guessing more recently Kim Yong Un (would be/is in fact) similar if there (was/is) a Religious presence in the DPRK.

True, but I would also be very hesitant to say that their anti-theistic, as in against religion, views are what drove them to kill. It was more about oppression of the masses in general...not that theY didn't want the masses to believe in a god.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Believing one has had a divine experience will never constitute as a mental illness....

A whole host of other factors would have to come into play for a Mental Health Team or Consultant to ever act upon the notion of divine experience...

& if you look into the history of those serial killers you're referencing I will guarantee you that none of what happened rested solely on the words "god told me to do it".

Paranoia, delusions, a range of complexes, &/or retribution for their own childhood abuse is what makes those "divine experiences" stand out...

& quite frankly your unspecified suggestion is equally, if not potentially far more dangerous than Religion.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 06:47 PM
link   
What do they have to gain? haven't you realized by now that these scumbags don't give a F*** about anything but DEATH MONEY and SEX. Pissing everybody off will be their ultimate downfall. a reply to: lostbook

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Communism demands more or less that the church be abolished in favor of the state. The state must be the highest authority in the lives of the people with no competition allowed. This is the principle in N. Korea, too.

Where a church is allowed it is rigorously controlled by the state so that the state is still the highest authority in the lives of the people.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   

No it was about control. If the masses begin to believe in God, then they also begin to believe there is an authority higher than the state. Why do you think the idea of the basic unalienable rights is so strong? It's because many believe they are derived from something (a power) beyond an agency of humanity and as such are not humanities to rewrite or amend or give or take in any way.

For an authoritarian, all-powerful state, this is a dangerous idea and a belief they cannot allow.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Believing one has had a divine experience will never constitute as a mental illness....

A whole host of other factors would have to come into play for a Mental Health Team or Consultant to ever act upon the notion of divine experience...

& if you look into the history of those serial killers you're referencing I will guarantee you that none of what happened rested solely on the words "god told me to do it".

Paranoia, delusions, a range of complexes, &/or retribution for their own childhood abuse is what makes those "divine experiences" stand out...

& quite frankly your unspecified suggestion is equally, if not potentially far more dangerous than Religion.

I would still have to disagree as I don't believe in a god. A divine experience, to me, is just as delusional as schizophrenic hearing voices. I believe in the tangible and what is here and now. I am sure there are plenty, who are not necessarily mental cases, who have had "experiences", but I would say that it is still a product of the human mind.

There are many things that can cause hallucinations and experiences. There is nothing tangible that can, or ever has been, related to a god, other than books that are written by men that state these things.

As real as an experience may seem to those that have them, they are still not real. A feeling is a feeling regardless....if the religious believe in their experiences and books, then they MUST accept that other experiences and books are just as real as their own....unless of course there really ARE multiple gods, because if there is only one then those experiences can't ALL be correct.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   
vasa croe

in one of the documents describing the events during the starving of the ukrainian people, stalin said that the people of the ukraine would learn there is no god but government, when they starved and prayed for relief and found none, they would learn this lesson the hard way. several of his polit buro had bets on if the people would resort to cannabalizing each other, to survive. any who appeared to be doing so, were shot.

he offered the soldiers extra food for each dead body that was buried, as the starving started to die of starvation. they began burying people in mass graves, some weren't even dead yet and were thrown in the mass graves with the corpses. one lady who survived it and is now an old woman, said the ground was moving from all the sick and dying, who were just tossed in the mass graves and buried alive.

this included children, babies, old people, men, women, the handicapped. when people do stuff like that in the western world, they are considered insane
edit on 24-2-2015 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 08:35 PM
link   
People don't need a reason to kill torture and maim...or burn books either...its just their playful nature......

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join