It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DOJ announces it will not file charges against Zimmerman in Martin shooting

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Source

“Though a comprehensive investigation found that the high standard for a federal hate crime prosecution cannot be met under the circumstances here, this young man’s premature death necessitates that we continue the dialogue and be unafraid of confronting the issues and tensions his passing brought to the surface,” Attorney General Eric Holder said in written statement. “We, as a nation, must take concrete steps to ensure that such incidents do not occur in the future.”

So...the DOJ couldn't find anything relating this to a racially motivated case, and in the same breath says the standards are "high" ( I can only guess he means too high because he can't make it about race?) and then says that as a nation we must take steps to ensure that such incidents don't occur in the future?

So, an incident that he believes is racial, that did not occur, has been investigated and found not racially motivated yet we need to take steps to ensure it doesn't happen again? WTF is he talking about?

Sounds like we are just wasting tax dollars on BS lawsuits as usual.

Then quoted again:

"Although the department has determined that this matter cannot be prosecuted federally, it is important to remember that this incident resulted in the tragic loss of a teenager's life," Acting Assistant Attorney General Vanita Gupta of the Civil Rights Division said in a statement. "Our decision not to pursue federal charges does not condone the shooting that resulted in the death of Trayvon Martin and is based solely on the high legal standard applicable to these cases."

So I guess high standards for legally prosecuting people are a bad thing according to the DOJ? Maybe we should lower them so we can prosecute anyone that decides a killing of anyone of color other than white, is always racist?

Wow....sad sad sad.....
edit on 2/24/15 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

So, an incident that he believes is racial, that did not occur, has been investigated and found not racially motivated yet we need to take steps to ensure it doesn't happen again? WTF is he talking about?

Imo, "steps" are just more gun laws restricting the rights of citizens and wannabes.

Meanwhile we dump billions of dollars of arms overseas…

By the way, they can't find any racist blemish, thats a can of worms.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I thought he had already been found inocent by a jury?

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

that was the state trial, the U.S. Govt was looking for Federal civil rights violations.
they all ready knew there where none from their involvement in the state case.

i wonder if George gets his gun back now.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   

In the case of possible uprising the fed always says it will look into it further. That puts people off a little longer, and a little longer, until it doesn't matter anymore.

Neat trick that.

"Wer'e talking to some people, we're looking for some stuff, we're figuring it all out…

and we'll get back to you!" --Chris Rock

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   
This was ALL about Obama (" If I had a son, he'd look like Trayvon..."). It was all political from the beginning.
Sorry, butunfortunately true.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   
The DOJ needs to get rid of some entrenched lawyers....
How much money? How long? And how actually hard did they work on this BS investigation?
Double jeopardy much?
These creeps need to get out of DOJ and get a real job....breaking rocks with a rubber hammer comes to mind....

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   

just because he is an idiot does not make it about race!

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   

What I want to know is if they are going to charge that guy who murdered "Eric Garner".

Why aren't we hearing anymore of that?

Clearly it was homicide or manslaughter at the very least.

Or I guess they just divert attention away from the very clear cut cases of police brutality by choosing divisive cases.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I never thought this case filled the criteria for a hate crime (or for an intentional violation of TM's civil rights). I also don't believe that George Zimmerman set out to kill anyone, white or black. I'm for gun ownership and I don't really care what the President had to say.

That said, I won't be willfully ignorant. I don't know how anyone could honestly say that if Trayvon Martin had been a white teenager, that George Zimmerman would have been as likely to have pursued him. I also believe that George Zimmerman was a wanna be cop and that his decision to conduct an armed patrol of his neighborhood was a huge factor in precipitating the events of that night.

Who believes that without the gun, George Zimmerman would have been emboldened to disregard the 911 operator? At the same time, Trayvon Martin made an immature and similarly stupid decision to take the law into his own hands and ambush a person he likely saw as some sort of predator.

There are no winners in this case except the political propagandists.

edit on 2015-2-24 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Yea, he is a punk...hitting women and old men, pulling guns in domestics...he is his own worse enemy, and time is not on his side.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: stirling

Double jeopardy much?

If the feds had decided to go forward with a case, double jeopardy would not have come into play. Zimmerman was found not guilty in regards to second degree murder charges..

What the DoJ was looking to do was charge Zimmerman with was denying Trayvon Martin his civil rights. It's a ploy the federal government used many times to convict KKK members for crimes they committed after juries found them not guilty of the original crimes.

Double jeopardy comes into play when you're being convicted twice for the same crime. The way laws are set up, almost every crime you knowingly commit sets you up for additional charges. It's a big loophole in our legal system.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Somebody Call REVEREND AL SHARPTON we Need another Riot!!! Zimmerman is a Jackalope he deserves to get hit by a bus.. he has become a drama magnet..,

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 05:12 PM
link   

I love it! And they will eventually do the same with Ferguson, Missouri.
The opposite of a "whitewash."

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Zimmerman just needs to steal at gun point, some sports memorabilia in Las Vegas.

Only then true justice will be served.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

they've already came out and said that charges against Darren Wilson will probably not be filed.
here is a thread i posted about that back in Jan.

U.S. Not Expected to Fault Officer in Ferguson Case

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie

i wonder if George gets his gun back now.

Hope not..

In December, Zimmerman's girlfriend declined to press charges after she initially claimed he pointed a shotgun at her face during an argument last November.

In September of last year, Zimmerman's ex-wife also declined to proceed with a case against her former husband after she claimed he threatened her and her father with a gun.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

a claim does not a fact make. just ask willaims, o'reilly, and now va secretary mcdonald.
plus another thing that telling to me, all three have declined to press charges. wonder why that is if he did indeed really threaten them. i would say fact is they can't prove it, and making up bullsh@@.

now GZ is a dumb ass that can't seem to stop getting involved in sh@@. until convicted of a felony, he has a right to own a weapon, crazy or not.

edit on 24-2-2015 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I'm sure that somewhere George is setting in the wreckage of his life saying, "At this point, what difference does it make?"

Seriously, guy's life is over no matter what actually did or did not happen. They may have found him innocent, but he's been found guilty in the court of public opinion and he'll never have a life in any real way again.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

True, a young man is dead, an older man's life is ruined...but at least Al Sharpton and Barack Obama managed to get some financial and political mileage out of it.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join