It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What "fact check" organization would everyone believe?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   
The real problem with our media and education system is a lack of trust and objective information. So I was wondering what type of organization could everyone believe?

I personally think most of societies problems are very fixable. However when our news and information institutions are willing to lie, cheat and steal to gain viewership . How do we know who to trust?

I really think that's all we need for humanity to progress to the next level of society. We have the manpower , know how, and materials to feed and give a flat screen TV every person on the planet. We just don't because of the politics involved.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Entreri06

I'd wager "We" (The Collective) would have better luck in re-tooling society if We REMOVED the televisions, especially the one reportedly that can spy on their viewer.

If the t.v. becomes compulsory then how could We 'prove' the news was true if We had nothing to compare it to.

Not only do You have a choice of which one to view but the option of turning off the t.v. and reading a book, leaving the house to re-create..

namaste

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   

No single source can be "believed".

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I would be disinclined to believe any organization on every issue. I might be able to have a source I consider reasonably reliable, but at this point in my life I don't believe anyone. I have been lied to far too much.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Mine, trust me, I know what I am doing.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
I would be disinclined to believe any organization on every issue. I might be able to have a source I consider reasonably reliable, but at this point in my life I don't believe anyone. I have been lied to far too much.

Sounds a lot like cherry picking sources that back up what you want to be true, rather then being open minded to truth when you hear it. Not pointing fingers at you personally, but I think people believing what they want to rather then the scientific data available is the problem.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Believe less than 10% of what you see and nothing of what you hear, unless you check it out yourself, personally. There are NO organizations that can be trusted, everything has been bought and paid for. I have experience with the higher education system, NGO's, governments and the military, they are all whores. Probably not what you want to hear as there is no specific source for subjective truth except yourself and NO source of objective truth.

The truth may hurt, if there is in fact truth, but it can never be a lie, if lies actually exist and that's taking a relativistic subjective approach. Something like the "agnostics prayer;"

"Dear God, if there is a God, save my soul, if I have a soul."

Cheers - Dave

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   
The problem is the blurring of the line between the fact and the truth. A statistic is a hard fact. A number doesn't lie. It can't. The problem is that there is very little fact in a simple statistic, and it takes a whole lot of truth to make sense of it. And frankly, truth can be very subjective particularly when politics gets involved, and in today's world, what is politics NOT involved in?

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Good thread. Who do we go to for our 'Real' News. I go here and usually I look at google news once int he morning and my zite and flipboard. The problem with all of these is that it tailors your news to what you read and thumb up. So If I read a couple of stories about Obamacare issues, then I get more of that and soon, it's all skewed against Obamacare, or vise versa, so you have to be careful.. When researching, my first stop is usually wikipedia to get the basics, the names the dates, but as we all know that's also skewed on depending who wrote the article. so you have to dig deeper.

Alot of times I'll also read Al Jezera and BBC of news, especially about something going on in the states. I'll hit snopes and politifact...but man it's a lot of work to find the truth in things. LOL

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   
More lies than truth come out of the television!

There is no - one safe source, and there never should be, thats a very dangerous road to take!

Observation and thought is our only hope of having the truth!

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   
No single source but multiple sources of differing political and/or cultural backgrounds. If Fox news and China News report the same thing the same way I think you can be sure that that is what happened!

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   

I'm open-minded to truth, but something that sounds like BS often ends up being false...at least in some aspect. The problem we have today is that everyone has an agenda and that 'truth' is for sale to the highest bidder.
edit on 2015/2/24 by Metallicus because: sp

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Universities that are publicly paid for. I trust students before I would trust "experts"

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: InverseLookingGlass

I agree with you. One source I am unlikely to trust is something from or funded by the US Government. The only thing you can count on from them is agenda driven manipulation aimed at controlling the population.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Entreri06

originally posted by: Metallicus

Sounds a lot like cherry picking sources that back up what you want to be true, rather then being open minded to truth when you hear it. Not pointing fingers at you personally, but I think people believing what they want to rather then the scientific data available is the problem.

The problem with that is that there are so many differing scientific viewpoints as well, and those can be cherry picked too. Some are intended for one use, and someone will come along and skew the point of the study so that it fits what they want to believe, using bits and pieces and lots of people are not willing to read the whole and instead trust what that skewed version says because it fits with what they want to believe.
It's too tricky, imo.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   
What do you guys think about going with foreign news sources and media for unbiased US news?

I realize that all main stream media is biased to some degree, but better than our own media? AT least to start with?
edit on 24-2-2015 by amazing because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 07:23 PM
link   

What "fact check" organization would everyone believe?

An organization that is a for profit company and not a social order. A for profit company that never faulters on delivering the facts. No such organizations exist as far as I know on either side of the fence.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 04:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Entreri06

The real problem with our media and education system is a lack of trust and objective information. So I was wondering what type of organization could everyone believe?

The problem runs much deeper than whatever "fact checking organization" is currently doing the "fact checking". People are starting to realize that deceit, betrayal, selfishness and dishonesty is an integral part of human nature. And more than that, there is no such thing as a fact that you didn't witness with your own eyes as it happened. And even then you would have to ask yourself if it was possible that you were somehow deceived.

If there is a motive to lie or deceive, there's always a way to do it. As long as there is a middle man, there is an opportunity for the facts to be tampered with.
edit on 26-2-2015 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
What do you guys think about going with foreign news sources and media for unbiased US news?

I realize that all main stream media is biased to some degree, but better than our own media? AT least to start with?

I think forien news sources are a great place. No local politics to get in the way, and why would they lie for our politicians...

I wish more people realized the whole conservative main stream media myth. They pretend that they are telling you what no other news source is telling you..... When every news source does the same stories just from different povs. According to Fox News, there is a global conspiracy to discredit conservatism. Like Japan's news sources care who we elect president. Lol.

new topics

top topics

join