It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheists don't "know" there is no God.....

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

That's what I was wondering. A lot of atheists I've come across honestly just hate religion and don't believe God exists, and they think anyone who believes in God is stupid. Some of them believe in atheism because it's anti God. Some of them just don't believe in God because they don't find the evidence they are looking for, but don't put down others who are religious. And then some believe that there is an afterlife just on a different plane like you said, and that there is no need for a God. And then there are agnostics, who believe there is a God, they just don't know who He is and that God is an impersonal force. I'm sure there is a huge amount of different beliefs among agnostics as well.

Interesting that there are many variations, but I'm not necessarily surprised, since variation is everywhere, especially in belief.

Thank you for the reply.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Entreri06

Then you're not atheist. You're agnostic. Moving on ...

Agnostics believe there is a god but all religions have it wrong.... An atheist believes there is zero evidence for a afterlife or a god. I'm an athiest.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: shieldmaiden

That's what I was wondering. A lot of atheists I've come across honestly just hate religion and don't believe God exists, and they think anyone who believes in God is stupid. Some of them believe in atheism because it's anti God. Some of them just don't believe in God because they don't find the evidence they are looking for, but don't put down others who are religious. And then some believe that there is an afterlife just on a different plane like you said, and that there is no need for a God. And then there are agnostics, who believe there is a God, they just don't know who He is and that God is an impersonal force. I'm sure there is a huge amount of different beliefs among agnostics as well.

Interesting that there are many variations, but I'm not necessarily surprised, since variation is everywhere, especially in belief.

Thank you for the reply.

I don't think atheists believe believers are stupid, just brainwashed. Just like any other cult. There is no shortage of intelligent people decieved and brainwashed into believing craziness.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: shieldmaiden
But I see that there are atheists who believe in an afterlife. Is that an afterlife with no God? just a place everyone goes after they die? So kind of a mix between the two?

I also believe in an afterlife... Let me rephrase. I don't believe we die and that's it. I think there's much more to me than this physical body and that my essence will probably leave my body and "go" somewhere else. The details? How would I know? I don't have the desire to know, because I know I cannot know. Does that make sense?

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Much more sense that what I said

For the posters above...

I don't think you're describing agnostics correctly...

I may be wrong...

I am sure agnostics don't believe in God/gods...
But don't also don't not believe in God/gods...

As in they don't know so they don't decide either way...
They're just waiting for confirmation of either!

Edit:
Agnostic-theists believe but don't claim to know. (?)
Agnostic-atheists don't believe but don't claim to know. (?)
edit on 24-2-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-2-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Agnostic and Atheism

www.youtube.com...

Sorry, embedding never works for me...

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Entreri06

Atheists don't know there is no God. Atheists know that there is zero chance the worlds religious texts line up with what science has learned. There's a difference.

Some are agnostic because they think there can be a God, but disagree with all religious texts. Are you trying to point out the difference between knowing and believing? Atheists believe there is no God. But no one knows there isn't one. Is that the point you are making? Or is it that you believe in science and don't believe there was a God that had anything to do with it?

You said that atheists aren't opposed to a creator, they just don't believe in it, or to put it in your words

We just arnt dumb enough to believe craziness just because our for fathers did

Science and God are not incompatible. There are plenty of people who believe in God from an organized religion who will point that out.

If Jesus shows up tomorrow walking on water and such. Every scientist and atheist will convert instantly.

Those who were with Jesus when that happened even had a hard time believing it. I think there would be many who would say it's a trick or an illusion. On a side note, there are plenty of scientists who believe in God/Jesus/ are religious.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Yes, makes sense. Thank you!

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   
It's interesting to see that a majority of the founding fathers were Deist and did not believe in mainstream religion. The founding fathers fell into three believe systems:

Deistic founding fathers
Ethan Allen
Thomas Paine

Deistic Christians founding Fathers
John Adams
George Washington
Benjamin Franklin
James Monroe

Christian Founding Fathers
Patrick Henry
John Jay
Samuel Adams

I believe in deism and that there is an after life and we have a soul but do not believe a word written by man pretending it came from God.

As I've said in a previous thread, if anything was ever the work of the devil it would be religion. Religion has divided humankind against each other for thousands of years.

Religion is the reason why so many folk are leaving the church and returning to God!
edit on 24.2.2015 by flammadraco because: (no reason given)

edit on 24.2.2015 by flammadraco because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   
So it has to do with knowing and believing.

It looks like atheists claim to know there is no God, while Agnostic-atheists don't believe and don't claim to know. I guess this goes back to claiming to know versus believing.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Entreri06

It would be nice if people would actually debate topics instead of semantic craziness like "atheism is a religion too" type garbage.

I honestly don't see what's to debate. Some people think one way, some people think another. I believe what I believe, you believe what you believe, Joe down the block believe's what he believes. Who cares what anybody believes? Honestly, what does it really matter? What's to debate?

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Atheist- one who does not believe in any higher power

Theist- one who believes in at least one deity

Agnostic- one who believes that the truth value of certain claims—especially claims about the existence or non-existence of any deity—is unknown or unknowable

Deist- one who believes that reason and observation of the natural world, without the need for organized religion, can determine that the universe is a creation and has a creator

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Just like any religious person can't "know" that there is a god

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

It would be nice if people would actually debate topics instead of semantic craziness like "atheism is a religion too" type garbage.

I honestly don't see what's to debate. Some people think one way, some people think another. I believe what I believe, you believe what you believe, Joe down the block believe's what he believes. Who cares what anybody believes? Honestly, what does it really matter? What's to debate?

Humanities #1 failing is caring far too much what other humans think.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Gnostic - Of or relating to KNOWLEDGE.
Theistic - Of or relating to BELIEF.

I don't KNOW if there's a God, therefore, I'm agnostic.
I don't BELIEVE there's a God, therefore, I'm atheistic.

I am an agnostic atheist.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Totally agree with all your points, however
Some people believe that their beliefs are superior to everyone else's and try and impose their belief system on to everyone else. For example in the US, the Christian right is extremely vocal and demand changes to the law to protect their "religious rights to discriminate". In the ME you have extremists trying to impose their view of Islam onto everyone else with the threat of death.

So my point is, If everyone just live and let live then yes you are right what does it matter but we don't live in such a world and all over the world people are using their relgion to impose their belief system on to others. This is not acceptable and thus the reason for these endless debates on ATS.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Strong atheists don't believe in a creator and assert that God(s) does not exists.

Weak (agnostic) atheists don't personally believe in a creator but don't assert the impossibility of God.

Dawkins is an example of strong atheism. The OP appears to be agnostic.

Typically inherent in a strong atheists' argument is the philosophy of scientism. That we should not believe any proposition that cannot be scientifically proven.

Scientism is self-refuting though and some could argue it is taken on faith since it is a philosophical claim, not a scientifically proveable claim.
edit on 24-2-2015 by Giovonni because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Eunuchorn

originally posted by: TonyS

Humanities #1 failing is caring far too much what other humans think.

I agree. The need for validation is perhaps the most powerful force driving human behaiver. However, the problem I see is even BIGGER: Humanities #1 failing is valuing the valueless.

edit on 24-2-2015 by wasaka because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   
It's funny to see how many people can't even agree on what an atheist is! LOL!

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
It's funny to see how many people can't even agree on what an atheist is! LOL!

If a Christian living in Greece 2000 years ago said that they did not believe
in the gods of Mt Olympus, they would be considered an atheist.

It's all about context.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join