It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fluoride in water is linked to thyroid problem which causes weight gain, depression and tiredness.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Article

I found this an interesting read as flouride has long been discussed in the conspiracy world.

In a nutshell researchers at the university of Kent have found a corralation between higher levels of water flouridisation (natural and artificial) and hyperthyroidism.

The reason I am questioning the article is that the research has been "dismissed" by Public health England who it turns out is a govement funded body.

There is no counter evidence in the dimissal just a vauge statment saying theres nothing to worry about and there is no evidence to sugest a link between the 2. a quick google led me to this Paper exerpt from the US in 2004 stating that there was initial evidence to suggest that flouride in fact does has an effect on the human endocrine system(of which the thyroid is a part).

So how and why is a goverment funded organisation allowed to dismiss independant research without any counter evidence?

(post by DanielJacksonKree removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 06:27 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Why would you say "in the conspiracy world"?

Fluoride is clearly a drug, which causes long-term health damage when administrated in high doses.

That's why the addition of fluoride to drinking water is prohibited, because the water supply is not an appropriate means to administer medicine.

Patient and Doctor alone have the right to decide on medication, and this right would be denied to the people through mandatory fluoridation.
edit on 24-2-2015 by ColCurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 06:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColCurious

Fluoride is clearly a drug, which causes long-term health damage when administrated in high doses.

That's why the addition of fluoride to drinking water is prohibited, because the water supply is not an appropriate means to administer medicine.

Patient and Doctor alone have the right to decide on medication, and this right would be denied to the people through mandatory fluoridation.

I said in the conspiracy world because there have been a few diffent conspiracy theories over the years regarding the flouridation of water yet the goverments and "Health officials" of the world continue to claim it is not an issue and in fact benificial.

artificial flouridisation in in practice in around 10% of the UK and many other countries I am led to believe.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Okay... well not here as far as I know.

*Hm... a quick search brings up this official document from the BfR (Bunddesinstitut für Risikobewertung = Federal institute for risk-assessment):
Link (German)

I was sure this was the consens on the matter?
edit on 24-2-2015 by ColCurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Okay... well not here as far as I know.

*Hm... a quick search brings up this official document from the BfR (Bunddesinstitut für Risikobewertung = Federal institute for risk-assessment):
Link (German)

I was sure this was the consens on the matter?

Any chance you could give a brief explanation of the link as I do not speak German!

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Yes, of course. Sorry.

In short it says that a risk of absorbing too much fluoride over drinking water in Germany is low, while higher doses in the water (>4 mg per liter) have lead to health problems in other countries.
The BfR also discourages fluoridation via food supplements, or in pill form.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Yes, of course. Sorry.

In short it says that a risk of absorbing too much fluoride over drinking water in Germany is low, while higher doses in the water (>4 mg per liter) have lead to health problems in other countries.
The BfR also discourages fluoridation via food supplements, or in pill form.

Thanks, It appears that West Germany was the first European country to flouridate water but now it is not allowed.

Heres a wikipedia link for statistics on worldwide artificial flouridation.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 07:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific
Article

So how and why is a goverment funded organisation allowed to dismiss independant research without any counter evidence?

Because the government are not servants of the people, they are masters of the people and generally no one cares or thinks you are a 'nutcase' for suggesting fluoride isn't 100% safe.

Star and flag for this post I think I may write to my MP about this. I was going to write anyway asking about safe levels of fluoride in drinking water and my point would have been this -
At the moment I have a bad tooth (my bad I know, I'm scared of the dentist) and it flares up unless I briush my teeth after every meal/snack, so thats about 5/6 times a day brushing. I know we are probably 'advised' not to brush so often but hey, it's the only thing keeping my bad tooth at bay and I can choose to clean my teeth as often as I like. However I have never understood how 'safe' levels of fluoride can be measured, since people are free to drink as much water/use as much toothpaste/mouthwash as they like, rendering the 'safe' levels un-safe and potentially meaning fluoride poison, and calcification of the pineal gland. This was going to be my question to my MP (I use non-fluoride toothpaste anyway) how can they regulate how much fluoride people take in (safe amounts) when they can't regulate how much water/toothpaste they use? How can they know we are still safe from fluoride?
I'm pretty sure my MP will have no clue about this but hey it makes them work for their money. They work for us after all. I think people forget that fact. I write to my MPs all the time.

I will mention your findings
and thank you!

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 07:08 AM
link   

What you say should be right but it isn't - fluoride is covertly administered in some of the UK water supplies (and others!) -

www.bfsweb.org...

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 07:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: daftpink

Article

Because the government are not servants of the people, they are masters of the people and generally no one cares or thinks you are a 'nutcase' for suggesting fluoride isn't 100% safe.

Star and flag for this post I think I may write to my MP about this. I was going to write anyway asking about safe levels of fluoride in drinking water and my point would have been this -
At the moment I have a bad tooth (my bad I know, I'm scared of the dentist) and it flares up unless I briush my teeth after every meal/snack, so thats about 5/6 times a day brushing. I know we are probably 'advised' not to brush so often but hey, it's the only thing keeping my bad tooth at bay and I can choose to clean my teeth as often as I like. However I have never understood how 'safe' levels of fluoride can be measured, since people are free to drink as much water/use as much toothpaste/mouthwash as they like, rendering the 'safe' levels un-safe and potentially meaning fluoride poison, and calcification of the pineal gland. This was going to be my question to my MP (I use non-fluoride toothpaste anyway) how can they regulate how much fluoride people take in (safe amounts) when they can't regulate how much water/toothpaste they use? How can they know we are still safe from fluoride?
I'm pretty sure my MP will have no clue about this but hey it makes them work for their money. They work for us after all. I think people forget that fact. I write to my MPs all the time.

I will mention your findings
and thank you!

This link here shows your argument perfectly.

When they tried to implement artificial flouride in Southamptons drinking water over 70% of the residents were opposed to it, the health authorities response?

"Southampton City Primary Care Trust (PCT), who made the proposals, said that the public vote could not be the deciding factor and that medical evidence shows fluoridation will reduce tooth decay – and failed to back up claims of serious negative side effects."

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 07:14 AM
link   

To be honest, fluoride is the least of your worries if you're in Kerrier or Penwith.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 07:14 AM
link   
a reply to: ColCurious

I agree.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Article

I found this an interesting read as flouride has long been discussed in the conspiracy world.

In a nutshell researchers at the university of Kent have found a corralation between higher levels of water flouridisation (natural and artificial) and hyperthyroidism.

The reason I am questioning the article is that the research has been "dismissed" by Public health England who it turns out is a govement funded body.

There is no counter evidence in the dimissal just a vauge statment saying theres nothing to worry about and there is no evidence to sugest a link between the 2. a quick google led me to this Paper exerpt from the US in 2004 stating that there was initial evidence to suggest that flouride in fact does has an effect on the human endocrine system(of which the thyroid is a part).

I believe why it was discounted was because there was no conclusive evidence, just a correlation. Coulds, mays, suggests, does not equal hard science. Much more research needs to be done on this in order to conclusively prove a link. There are so many other factors that could be taken into account.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: superman2012

I agree, that was kind of the point of the thread, You would think that it would encourage more research instead of a simple dismissal.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Source for any of these wild claims? Besides "long-term health damage when administrated in high doses", anyone knows that. Go eat a pound of salt. Anything in a high enough concentration is deadly, even plain old water.

If you are just speaking about ones right to decide on this, then that is a different story. Wild claims regarding water fluoridation though, are just proof that that sides fear propaganda is working.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 08:27 AM
link   

I agree, that was kind of the point of the thread, You would think that it would encourage more research instead of a simple dismissal.

The scads of research on water fluoridation has not found it be the cause of anything, even a link between it and thyroid slowdown hasn't been proven, that is a theory as well from what I have read.

edit on 24-2-2015 by superman2012 because: dear Lord I'm confusing myself...

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Fluoride was used decades ago to treat hyperthyroidism, by competitive binding with iodine.
What is striking about the doses of fluoride used to treat hyperthyroidism is how small they were. Galletti and Joyet (1958) found that a daily dose of just 2 to 10 mg of fluoride per day was enough to reduce the basal metabolism rate (BMR) of hyperthyroid patients and alleviate their condition. This is within the range of doses that many people living in fluoridated areas will ingest. The US Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS,1991) estimates that an adult in a fluoridated community receives between 1.6 and 6.6 mg of fluoride per day from all sources combined.

Does inducing decreased effectiveness of the thyroid affect body mass index and spontaneous activity? I have no doubt that it does. People who are clinically hypothyroid suffer the exact symptoms described in OP.
edit on 10/06/2013 by Tusks because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   

can you provide a link to:

that is a theory

funny the article says " Study found high levels of fluoride in water is linked to hypothyroidism"

edit on 24-2-2015 by SkipperJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: SkipperJohn

can you provide a link to:

that is a theory

funny the article says " Study found high levels of fluoride in water is linked to hypothyroidism"

Let's look at the article shall we?

Weight gain and depression caused by an underactive thyroid is linked to high levels of fluoride in the water supply, scientists have claimed.

But researchers at the University of Kent have warned the mineral may be responsible for triggering underactive thyroids.

Other experts have however, disagreed with their findings, arguing the research methods were flawed.

The authors note theirs is an observational study, so no definitive conclusions can be drawn about cause and effect.

'Essentially the researchers have shown that after limited adjustment for demographic differences, there are somewhat higher rates of hypothyroidism - which can result from a number of different diseases - in four areas of England that have higher concentrations of fluoride in drinking water.

It is quite possible that the observed association is a consequence of other ways in which the areas with higher fluoride differ from the rest of the country. 'There are substantially more rigorous epidemiological methods by which the research team could have tested their idea.'

Not too damning anymore once you get to the meat and potatoes of it, is it?

As for your link that you requested:
While fluoride has been linked to alterations of the thyroid, as in the treatment of hypothyroidism, water fluoridation has not been shown to be a cause of thyroid disease.

You can google:
Susheela AK, et al. "Excess fluoride ingestion and thyroid hormone derangements in children living in New Delhi, India." Fluoride, 38:98-108. 2005. National Research Council. "Fluoride in drinking water: a scientific review of EPA's standards." National Academies Press, Washington D.C. 2006.

That is only a link to thyroid disease...I couldn't find one for water fluoridation, but one would think that if water fluoridation were causing this, it would be quite a bit more rampant than an area of England, no?

I hope I answered more questions than asked...it's possible I did not as I am confusing myself on this subject now!

edit on 24-2-2015 by superman2012 because: forgot to qualify what "it" meant, added clarification.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join