It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 16 most dangerous places for female travellers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Check the article for their take on the situation. It did surprise me that London and New York City made the top 16

The full list of most unsafe cities for women to travel in is:

1. Bogota, Colombia
2. Mexico City
3. Lima, Peru
4. New Delhi
5. Jakarta, Indonesia
6. Buenos Aires, Argentina
7. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
8. Bangkok
9. Moscow
10. Manila, Philippines
11. Paris
12. Seoul, South Korea
13. London
14. Beijing
15. Tokyo
16. New York

metro.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Well crap...

I'm goin to Bogota to get me some!!!!

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 09:47 PM
link   

New York surprised me as well - I arrived there by train - alone - at 9 PM and wandered the streets for 3 hours until my outgoing train at midnight. I hauled a wheeled suitcase behind me and looked just about as tourist as they come. Turned down panhandlers with a smile and a head shake "I don't carry cash." Never a problem, not even a scary moment.

Chicago, on the other hand, even allowed me to check the suitcase at Union Station - but I didn't get more than a block from the station before every Spidey-sense was hollering at me to get back to base. THAT was a frightening city for a woman alone - and I hit there in mid-afternoon. I spent 5 hours sitting around the station, and was actually more relieved to be leaving - directly into some of the worst weather I have seen - through Tornado Alley - on a train (and how does one dodge a twister while on a train?), than I would have been to stay another hour in Chicago. And Chicago isn't even on the list.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Tokyo beat out New York?? that's surprising..even though I don't think they should be on that list, I would think Jo-Burg and Rio would be on that list.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I agree - Where is Johannesburg? That place is terrifying.

Not in agreement with NYC, London or Tokyo... puzzled by Kuala Lumpur and Manila, as I've heard they're pretty safe. Weird list. I'm sure you could FIND trouble in NYC or London but in J-burg they'll yank you out of your car at stoplights...

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: FireflyStars

What about Karachi? Or do women just not go there?

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

I think I'd just take a big red sharpie, color in the entire middle east and parts of Africa as "do not go" zones... but that's just me.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 10:07 PM
link   

I understand their choices for the list.

They are listing tourist holiday spots people often visit. There are far worse cities to travel, but they are places you wouldn't want to vacation to in the first place.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Tokyo? No way! I felt safer in Tokyo than most other major cities.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

That makes sense.

I thought some places were missing on that list.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 10:25 PM
link   
11. Paris

A woman is much safer in Paris than in Dallas, Texas

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 10:38 PM
link   
No way Tokyo should be on that list. I've been to over 30 countries and never felt safer walking around at night than in Japan, even 3am in Roppongi.

I understand the experience as a female is probably different, but unless the Nigerians and Somalians have really stepped up the immigration and human trafficking game in the last few years...

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 10:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: FireflyStars
I agree - Where is Johannesburg? That place is terrifying.

Not in agreement with NYC, London or Tokyo... puzzled by Kuala Lumpur and Manila, as I've heard they're pretty safe. Weird list. I'm sure you could FIND trouble in NYC or London but in J-burg they'll yank you out of your car at stoplights...

When I went to Jo-burg even the locals I was visiting used the ring road to drive around the city so they didn't have to get stuck in traffic going through. My experience of Mexico City was mostly deserted streets at night, perhaps everyone was so afraid to come out at night that it was actually safe. Nah, joking, I just lived in a safe area near the anthology museum, but I did love wandering at night. Taking a taxi at night wasn't safe from what heard though.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 11:00 PM
link   
a reply to: igloo

You're one brave cookie!!

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 11:11 PM
link   
"cat calling" is considered a mark of a dangerous city...my god, they find women attractive there..don't go..nuuuu.

lol

..London, Paris, New York are perfectly fine for women...caution, men still have eyes and enjoy looking at women.
If that is consided dangerous, may I recommend a life in a castle dungeon wrapped in bubble wrap.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 11:14 PM
link   

In fairness I am a male and I didn't feel safe in Mexico City or New York either. Maybe I would if I could run faster.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 11:28 PM
link   
There is nothing in that article about what criteria was used to compile that list..

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 11:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: FireflyStars
a reply to: igloo

You're one brave cookie!!

I was young and believed in the goodness of humanity, lol. Met a ton of weirdos over the years and most just want their story heard. Met a few scary ones but eluded them by pretending to be crazier than them...works well

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 03:03 AM
link   
I thought Paris was an odd City to be on this list as well reply to: olaru12

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 03:09 AM
link   
London, Paris & New York are all infamous for "Fashion" which normally means young beautiful model types, so I believe that naturally entails some degree of staring😌
reply to: SaturnFX

edit on 24-2-2015 by shell69 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join