NASA Eyes Effects Of A Giant 'Brown Cloud' Worldwide

page: 1

join

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 07:00 AM
link   
"NASA scientists recently announced that a giant, smoggy atmospheric "brown cloud" that forms over South Asia and Indian Ocean has intercontinental reach, and has effects around the world.
The word "smog" was coined by blending the terms "smoke" and "fog." However, today smog means air pollution. Smog is a mix of particles and unhealthy gases including ozone that linger in the lower atmosphere, or the troposphere."

A dense blanket of polluted air hovers over central eastern China. The 'Giant Brown Cloud' is an unhealthy mix of ozone, smoke, and other particles from human activities. Click on image to view animation. Credit: NASA/Orbimage.

This does not happen in the US. The countries where this is happening are exempt from Kyoto. This will affect "local" climate. Data does not support any conclusions yet about "world" warming.

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 07:15 AM
link   
There is alot of talk about Global warming, whether it is taking place or not.

Although that is an important issue for our future, it is not the most important issue as far as I am concered.

Pollution of ecosystems is something affecting us now and we are likely to feel reprecusions more and more in the future.

Our actions are changing the world whether we choose to deny it or not. As that picture shows, it is a serious problem.

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 07:28 AM
link   
It happens everyday in LA? It is wired that it is so big.

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Thanks for the info DrHoracid. I saw a few pics on this very sie and in the news about a month back about a huge towering dark cloud that had enveloped a part of China.....could even have been Beijing......most of what I remeber is thinking.......Crap......If they have clouds of polluntant like that....they must be burning through resources faster than any other country on the globe as I have never seen clouds of pullutants like this before in my life.....also visisbilty was cut down to barely 3m.......this large dark cloud formation you've posted seem to correlate with the current economic push toward industrialisation in the east and central asia.....lets hope that none of us are unfortunate enought to have a close up view of this beast as it moves around the globe. Just think what prolonged exposure to something like this would do to your lungs and body!!! Is this part of nasa's new pollution monitoring satellite's findings? If so do you have a link you could post so I can add it to my faveourites???
Thanks

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 02:11 AM
link   
If this cloud grows to encompass anywhere from 45-100% of the Earth we shall surely perish, along with nearly every other living creature on Earth.
This is a very provocative issue.

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 08:10 AM
link   
man that cloud is horrible.

What i really dont get is that humans in these countries wear face masks and stuff like that...

What about the damn animals?

No wonder the pandas going the way of the dodo... j/k

new topics
top topics

join