It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why focusing on the "now" and not believing in free-will is destructive

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   
1) If there is only "now", one reality, no individuals then there is no responsibility. The greedy who hurt others have no responsibility since individuality is just "illusion".

2) No free-will means its ok to lie, cheat, and kill and to even promote such behavior since they can just say they had no free-will. What better excuse for a serial-killer?

3) If God is Now and Reality then God is a liar, deceiver, and selfish ego since reality contains within it such unkind behavior. With a god like that who needs to believe in the devil?

What better religion for the rulers to teach in order to get approval for their unkind behavior? Since we are all One why not get microchips and cameras on every street corner? No individual then no privacy or need to hide.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: arpgme

Greetings- When anything happens when does it happen? Our 'future' but when it happens it is then "Now" is it not? Should We worry about the past?

"Free Will" means lie, cheat, steal and even kill now? Is there supposed to be a comma in there?

What religion™ are You referring to?

Which religion™ is the right One? The One where You go to Church™? Didn't Jesus The Christ say "You are NOT Your body"? and then didn't He add "You ARE the church"? You know right before "they" killed Him and pinned it on His bff, Judas. Judas, the world's first "Lee Harvey"..

What religion™ is it that isn't looking for $$$ and promising an 'Eternal Life' IF You play the dogma game? I see some Scripture there on the bottom, so how about the religion™ that hasn't a "rule book"?

Which religion™ is the right One?

I'll take My answer on the air..

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 06:51 PM
link   
#2 is the only one that is correct.

Å99

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium

No, NOT believing in free-will gives serial killers and irresponsible people another excuse.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   
If we focus on the now, we can change it for the better. There is no point in focusing on the past because it cannot be changed, but if we focus on the now the future can be changed, and for the better if we change for the better right now.

Focusing on the now is not destructive at all and your points don't really make much sense in my opinion. If God is ONE and you believe non-duality is "evil" or destructive (as one of your previous threads said) then isn't this non-dual God you believe in also evil and destructive? Of course not, your argument is based on assumptions of what the perciever believes, you cannot assume someone who believes in the now is destructive because that is to assume their mind is set on destructive things.

It seems as though you are under the presumption that anyone who believes differently than you is somehow destructive, you also seem to be under the presumption that someone who believes in the now also doesn't believe in free-will by default. That's not true at all and neither is the premise in your OP.
edit on 2/23/2015 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

I said the now AND lack of belief in free-will. I didn't say anyone focused on the now automatically doesn't believe in free-will. Also, if God is All/Now/Reality then he is also the liar, deceiver, rapist, and murderer.

If you believe in free-will and taking responsibility of your actions for a better future then I don't mean you I mean others who believe The All/Now is the only reality and that free-will and individuality is an illusion. That is dangerous to believe and leads to things like that book 1984.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   

I apologize, I misunderstood your post.

Like I said to you in another thread, without evil good would have no meaning.

Matthew 5
45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.

Even Jesus agrees that good and bad are sent by God.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 07:34 PM
link   

If we focus on the now, we can change it for the better. There is no point in focusing on the past because it cannot be changed, but if we focus on the now the future can be changed, and for the better if we change for the better right now.

How can we focus on 'now' while we are 'now'? are you separated from this very moment?
Focus obviously means direction, thought gives direction, and if there a direction, focus at something, obviously it is excluding the rest.
No, the past cannot be changed, why should one want to change the future?
For the better, are you not good as you are?

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Yes, and God gives sunlight to all too. He isn't sending rain and sunlight to hurt others but to help others . Jesus even says after this, "what is your reward if you [only] love those who love you, do not even the tax collectors do the same?"

God's intentions are good but things can be misused like water to drown someone or just to quench their thirst.

earthling42 , the world is not good as it is. It needs more compassion to reduce unecessary suffering more and more.
edit on 23-2-2015 by arpgme because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: arpgme
1) If there is only "now", one reality, no individuals then there is no responsibility. The greedy who hurt others have no responsibility since individuality is just "illusion".

2) No free-will means its ok to lie, cheat, and kill and to even promote such behavior since they can just say they had no free-will. What better excuse for a serial-killer?

3) If God is Now and Reality then God is a liar, deceiver, and selfish ego since reality contains within it such unkind behavior. With a god like that who needs to believe in the devil?

What better religion for the rulers to teach in order to get approval for their unkind behavior? Since we are all One why not get microchips and cameras on every street corner? No individual then no privacy or need to hide.

Who says there is only one reality or any reality?

Who says there is no free-will?

Why any religion?

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   

a reply to: JimNasium

No, NOT believing in free-will gives serial killers and irresponsible people another excuse.

Sorry, but I don't follow the logic in that statement. Could you explain?

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Tangerine

They can just say because they don't believe in free-will they didn't have a choice to hurt and kill. Not believing in free-will is just another excuse for irresponsibility.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Which means water can be both good and bad, just like God, which is why Jesus says he sends both sun and rain to the righteous and unrighteous. He is the entire spectrum, not just one side. To limit God to one side is to limit him period.

Like I have said before, without evil, good would have no meaning and vice versa. There is no substance to anything if there is no opposite to counter-balance it.

Matthew 5
47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

If you greet only your own people (good), then what more are you doing than others. You have to welcome both ends of the spectrum into the fold, not just the good. Good is only perfected when there is bad to compare its perfection to.

If duality is the only way and your God is not dual, then doesn't that mean your God is not the way? If you only believe in duality, then why do you reject one side of that duality? Wouldn't believing ONLY in good mean you have a non-dualistic mindset?
edit on 2/23/2015 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   

They can just say because they don't believe in free-will they didn't have a choice to hurt and kill. Not believing in free-will is just another excuse for irresponsibility.

When have you ever heard a serial killer say he didn't believe in free-will?

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Fortunately, never because people still believe they are responsible for their actions but this "there is no free will" would be the perfect excuse for them to hide behind if society as a whole start accepting this as truth.

Akushla99 makes a good point. They do already do it in a way since some claim the devil forced them to do it

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 08:07 PM
link   

That surely can't be a serious question.
Son of Sam comes to mind...the dog/satan made him do it...thus absolving him (to himself) of responsibility...a familiar refrain...

Å99

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 08:12 PM
link   
the past is dead and the future doesn't exist

link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1Jesus is saying you should even greet and love those who are different from you he isn't saying if a group of criminals say stealing or killing is good then you should approve of that behavior. Loving others includes encouraging compassionate behavior to help the pain and suffering of others but apathy towards others or worse, claiming that God is all so God is love and apathy is an approval of apathy annot caring for others.

link   

Fortunately, never because people still believe they are responsible for their actions but this "there is no free will" would be the perfect excuse for them to hide behind if society as a whole start accepting this as truth.

So you're really making a claim that's not based on anything. I'm sorry, but I'm not following your logic. Belief in free will is not in conflict with here and now. Here and now is when people exercise free will. With the exception of some seriously mentally ill people and those in cults and a few people making purely intellectual arguments, I don't see people arguing against the notion of free will.

I do understand why people argue that if the Abrahamic God exists and is all-knowing and all-powerful free will is impossible.I agree. But that is an argument made by people who don't believe that the Abrahamic God exists or that he is all-knowing and all-powerful. They're making the argument that Abrahamic religious beliefs make no sense. They're not literally arguing against free-will.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 08:14 PM
link   

If God is only good, you have a non-dualistic perspective. Why then do you call non-dualism destructive in other threads? Wouldn't that mean YOUR perspective is destructive since it is non-dualistic?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join