It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Five Myths About Violent Extremism

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
I read your post and your sources. This entire OP smacks of propaganda and not facts. The spin is making me dizzy.

Good thing I don't hold any responsibility for what it says. If you're speaking to what I typed, then I'm sorry you couldn't add in your post what it is you disagree with. I wouldn't mind trying to explain myself.

This was a great article to stir up a discussion by the way.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Pure propaganda.

Attacks are not happening so much in the West because we have traded many freedoms to be surveyed and kept safe by the govt anti terror agencies in return. We do bot hear the full scale of arrests and charges of all the would be terrorists. In countries where national security is less severe, or non existent it attacks are running rampant.

It is mainly Islamic groups (well over 90% globally) that are committing acts of terrorism.

Integration is not working that well with Islam because some (not all) simply don't want to adhere to western values despite the fact they have chosen to migrate to a western country. instead they demand we either accept their ways or pay the price.

There are extremely few examples of other races / religions / cultures that have such strong elements in them that are so belligerent and so unwilling to adapt to western values.

Nice try to fool us with soothing words and pretty imagery, but I for one am not fooled.

edit on 23-2-2015 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: markosity1973
Pure propaganda.

Attacks are not happening so much in the West because we have traded many freedoms to be surveyed and kept safe by the govt anti terror agencies in return. We do bot hear the full scale of arrests and charges of all the would be terrorists. In countries where national security is less severe, or non existent it attacks are running rampant.

It is mainly Islamic groups (well over 90% globally) that are committing acts of terrorism.

Propaganda? Kind of like how you made this unsubstantiated claim without backing it up with a link? That sounds like rhetoric to me.

Are All Terrorists Muslim? It's Not Even Close

Integration is not working that well with Islam because some (not all) simply don't want to adhere to western values despite the fact they have chosen to migrate to a western country. instead they demand we either accept their ways or pay the price.

No more than any other group that immigrates to a western country and self-segregates. There are tons of Muslims that follow the rules and don't denounce the west.

There are extremely few examples of other races / religions / cultures that have such strong elements in them that are so belligerent and so unwilling to adapt to western values.

Nice try to fool us with soothing words and pretty imagery, but I for one am not fooled.

Yeah god forbid you research your outrageous claims and see that you may be wrong. Nah it's easier to just dismiss everything with the same rhetoric and lies that this article just disproved (with additional sources of its own).

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: markosity1973

Integration is not working that well with Islam because some (not all) simply don't want to adhere to western values despite the fact they have chosen to migrate to a western country.

So what do we do with "some" of them? Could it possibly be any other persons fault than theirs?

Seems like the "illusion" is being held up on your end as well. Toss a few words around like, "mainly Islamic" and "90% globally" just after mentioning it's only "some" of them causing integration issues. Which hand should I focus on?

Few, or none you're willing to accept? The Indians didn't want to adapt to western cultures, were they just to "extreme" for their time?

edit on 23-2-2015 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

#1 There is no such thing as "violent extremism".

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

What do you mean? Like, all extremism is violent? Just wondering.

K, a couple "myths" about terrorism you might have missed (or don't agree with), for the sake of conversation:

1. Terrorists are the only terrorists... Unless you don't think we can think of ANYONE ELSE... (hmm?)... that uses FEAR (which I'm pretty much equating to terror, here, even though it's not the same in a lot of ways) to further an agenda or a hundred).
2. I can't think of any more at this time, but I was thinking something about "terrorists," are prolly usually people who just believe in something enough (or are being forced, like, "I got your kid..." or something) to take action that others consider extreme, trying to change whatever it is they don't believe in? When you're talking about religious people and religion, you're talking about those peoples' core beliefs, and if they're not going to defend what they believe, then when would they? In movies, "Red Dawn," "Star Wars," and etc., aren't "the resistance" "Terrorists?" Just something to think about.

Meh, forget my list...
I enjoy friends from many different walks of life. (I was raised very liberally, I think, what with public schooling and all, and I like the person I am today, which is in a large part, due to that raising.) But extremism is probably going to always be present, when you try so hard to "integrate" everyone, and preach about acceptance of others, except in the cases when people disagree with the mainstream (media driven) opinion.

The words "Terrorism" and "Terrorists" might be just words at their core, but the use of them today is a form of terrorism in itself, at least a little bit, wouldn't you say?

(Btw, I replied to greencmp, but only the first question was for him/her. The rest was meant to be reply to OP)
(Question for whomever: On ATS, "OP" means "original post," right? Or is it "original poster?" Or something else?)
edit on 2/23/2015 by japhrimu because: Last two parenthetical lines added.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: japhrimu

I mean that mohammedans have declared themselves enemy combatants.

This ridiculous word play that our president is attempting is an insult to all of us.

Don't get me wrong, the next armed KKK or Green Party rally that I see in my hometown will be dealt with with extreme prejudice.

I'm ready for it, are you?
edit on 23-2-2015 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 10:12 PM
link   
A tactic that's always useful in looking at articles like this is figuring out their definitions.

The invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan were illegal acts of aggression, with 'terrorist tactics' employed by both sides.

Therefore, aren't willing participants in a [largely unjustified] military invasion ('our' soldiers) falling into the category of "violent extremist". Such a concept is intolerable in most Western media and is therefore not included in the definition.

Until we are mature enough to recognize such things, no, we won't have a clear picture of violent extremism, myths will abound, and we will be stuck with the kind of half-stories that Washington Post perpetuate.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Obviously you are on the side of ISIS for saying this stuff.

You might as well be opening the door for them to get in here(states)!!

Markosity I would love a source on this cause everything I have seen disputes it.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 11:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: Metallicus

This post reeks of a drive by with no attempt to debunk anything in it while dismissing it offhand.

I was offering my opinion after examining the OP and the sources cited. I clearly stated it was my opinion and not a rebuttal. You don't have to agree with me, but my opinion is the OP is BS.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 11:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis

The picture is none other than some "nobody", putting a "sticker with words" on a pole, in a concentrated Islamic neighborhood. Not to dismiss or reduce the amount of violence that COULD happen there, they are nothing more than a few chest puffers who like to throw things at people who wear tight jeans. Let me know when they start making some real threats. The question is, how do you preserve the freedom to be an Islamic asshole while making sure they play well with others?

I'd say rioting, burning cars and attacking authorities is enough of a statement. It is in actuality a low intensive conflict with our authorities and as an extension on our countries and on our peoples. Every last one of them should be sent back to preserve our cultural and even ethnic sovereignty. Make no mistake that muslims have got designs on Europe, we're sovereign peoples and a slow cultural genocide should be viewed as an attack on us. They bring nothing but disaster with them and we don't need them, they're a drain and a huge liability. The only gift they'll bring us given enough time is civil war.

They're already challenging our authorities, what do you think will happen when they're a third of the population? Half? On our turf they can be nothing but our enemies if we want to remain true to ourselves and our origins.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Common denominator = religion.

Learn to think for yourself and stop giving a #. Problem solved

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Speaking as a COMBATANT really don't feel the NEED to define anyone beyond those who get in the way of my rifle barrel. THOSE whom are elected are responsable for THAT.
I just know what happened in the passed so I 'm better equipped to tell what is happening now.
Incremental sociological infiltration already FAILED. and now when the great progressive push is dying a crib death,itellectuals,alocoytes of Alinsky,and tretread hipsters seek to control the narrative,almost PARALLELLING 1984.
And the Oligarchs who actually RUN things laugh all the way to their coffers.

A faction of one of the worlds PRIME faiths is getting out of hand,worse that DARFUR out of hand,it THAT faction doesn't CARE about jobs,inclusiveness or peace at all.
Like Nihilists they just want too kill and burn to facilitate their vision.
AND some say the solution is to do NOTHING so they'll stop,what a sad lack of critical thinking this would be if it wasn't actually INTENDED to be the double talk it is.Like the Communist Hustler running our country.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 02:54 AM
link   
S&F for you, you make excellent points in this thread! Lack of education is the real big one I believe, we need more politicians in office with your views. You are truly a breath of fresh air to read. It's all in how you treat people is what it comes down to. The last pic in your OP couldn't be closer to the truth. You have my vote, wish I could give you more than one star. Like I've said before, one mans freedom fighter is another mans terrorist.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 06:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

a reply to: Metallicus

This post reeks of a drive by with no attempt to debunk anything in it while dismissing it offhand.

I was offering my opinion after examining the OP and the sources cited. I clearly stated it was my opinion and not a rebuttal. You don't have to agree with me, but my opinion is the OP is BS.

Well your opinion is ill formed without backing words as to why it is BS. The article makes compelling points complete with sources and references that backs up its claims. YOUR post looks just like denialism because you can't accept that maybe Muslims aren't as bad as you think they are.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 07:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
a reply to: Krazysh0t

You're probably more likely in the U.S. to be killed by a toddler with a handgun than ISIS.

Also, I posted this in another thread, but it might bring some thought here too.

Is so way off? Isn't the way to find acceptance through first bonding about the things you have in common, rather than focusing on and fighting about the differences?

Let me answer that one for you...different God...and that's all that matters. Specific agendas or teachings are irrelevant.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: MarioOnTheFly

Different gods and yet so similar. Go figure.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 07:47 AM
link   

But both gods represent the same totality of a singular god. Everything about them is exactly the same except apparently the name. Heck they both even have the same origin (Abraham). It's amazing that a triviality such as the name of a god makes people so upset to kill each other, when if they'd look past the name and embrace the similarities between each other could usher in peace never seen before on this planet. This goes for both Christians and Muslims, oh and throw Jews in there as well. Not that there would be total peace or anything, but it seems that much of the violence in this world is related to religion, namely between those three.
edit on 24-2-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I just want to add that I also think OP is propaganda of the worst kind. There is only one reason why I find the OP just as bad or dangerous as 'negative' propaganda and that is the total and utter blind denial that islam or muslims have anything at all to do with the so called 'extreme terrorism'.
According to the OP islam and muslims should never be mentioned at all in conjunction of terrorism because they have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with extremist views or behaviour.

I would have liked just a tiny fraction of acknowledgement that islam or muslims play a tiny, very minute role in the terrorism coming from islamic places [I don't see any Chinese in ISIS]. Then there may have been some credence to the OP.

But as it stands it is telling me that the pink elephant I am looking at is really a blue fish and if I don't agree I am a bigot.
That's propaganda.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 08:38 AM
link   

But both gods represent the same totality of a singular god. Everything about them is exactly the same except apparently the name. Heck they both even have the same origin (Abraham). It's amazing that a triviality such as the name of a god makes people so upset to kill each other, when if they'd look past the name and embrace the similarities between each other could usher in peace never seen before on this planet. This goes for both Christians and Muslims, oh and throw Jews in there as well. Not that there would be total peace or anything, but it seems that much of the violence in this world is related to religion, namely between those three.

your reasoning is well and true...but...reasoning and religion...they simply don't mix.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join