It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Four New Massive Holes Found In Siberia, Researchers Estimate There May Be Dozens

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Last year there was quite a stir over three massive holes found in the Yamal Peninsula of northern Siberia. Scientists are unsure how the holes developed but the prevailing theory is that they resulted from underground methane explosions.

Russian scientists have discovered four additional holes in satellite images and now they're sounding the alarm.

From Huffington Post:

"I am sure that there are more craters on Yamal, we just need to search for them... I suppose there could be 20 to 30 craters more," Prof. Vasily Bogoyavlensky, a corresponding member of the Russian Academy of Sciences and deputy director of the Moscow-based Oil and Gas Research Institute, told The Siberian Times. "It is important not to scare people, but to understand that it is a very serious problem and we must research this."

"We need to answer now the basic questions: what areas and under what conditions are the most dangerous?" he told the Siberian Times. "These questions are important for safe operation of the northern cities and infrastructure of oil and gas complexes."

Experts in the U.S. echoed that sentiment.

The professor said his team is preparing to launch a new expedition and also to install seismographs in the area. Sounds like an excellent idea. It will be interesting to see if more holes start forming in the spring and summer.
edit on 2015-2-23 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

"These questions are important for safe operation of the northern cities and infrastructure of oil and gas complexes."

Experts in the U.S. echoed that sentiment.

Even the Earth has gas complexes sometimes and needs to release methane!

...yes I know we could all eventually die from too much methane in the air and that's not funny!
It's really not funny...stop laughing at the fart joke!

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

I've been trying to tell everyone we are about to hit a glacial period.

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

How does this have anything to do with a glacial period. The methane is exploding out from underneath because the permafrost in Siberia is thawing. This region of eastern Siberia has been experiencing extreme warming temperatures over the past couple of years.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Rezlooper

I watched a documentary this week-end; it was about the story of the universe presented in 2 hours.

In it, they talked about the last glaciation, and they said that while "everything" was frozen, in Siberia, it was a haven for wildlife because the climate there and then was warmer.

Maybe we are seeing exactly that.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: NowanKenubi

The thawing of the tundra is releasing methane.

I already gave him plenty of truth in multiple threads I'm no longer responding to his spreading of ignorance due to his lack of understanding of the scientific evidence we have regarding the climate.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: NowanKenubi

The thawing of the tundra is releasing methane.

I already gave him plenty of truth in multiple threads I'm no longer responding to his spreading of ignorance due to his lack of understanding of the scientific evidence we have regarding the climate.

Methane also absorbs more heat than CO2...

From what I understand, if the poles which contain fresh water melt into the oceans, the ocean will lose much of it's ability to get warmer from the sun's ray. Along with a rise of the oceans, a global cooling effect would happen which could unfold into an ice age.
edit on 23-2-2015 by theMediator because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 08:31 PM
link   
My theory is that the Earth is warming up from "within" as opposed to from external factors like mankind and pollution.

What we see in regards to our weather variations and tempriture fluctuations I think is a side effect of whats going on on the inside.

Warmth rising from within, has heated the Methan Bubbles causing them to expand and explode through the surface.

I think the Earth is going through a "growing" phase and slowly expanding, and this is the side effect.

I still subsrcibe to the "Growing earth" Theory, that is, it was much smaller millions of years ago, hence why the continents matched up (South America and Africa), gravity was lower hence the reptiles could grow larger.

The world went through a rapid growth stage which was part of what killed off the dinosaurs.

I beleive we are going through another growth spurt and there will be another increase in earthquakes and volcanism in near future.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 09:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: theMediator
It's really not funny...stop laughing at the fart joke!

I will laugh at the fart joke, dammit! I may be choking to death on methane gas, but with my last suffocating breath I WILL LAUGH AT THE FART JOKE!

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 09:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: NowanKenubi
a reply to: Rezlooper

I watched a documentary this week-end; it was about the story of the universe presented in 2 hours.

In it, they talked about the last glaciation, and they said that while "everything" was frozen, in Siberia, it was a haven for wildlife because the climate there and then was warmer.

Maybe we are seeing exactly that.

I read this exact thing yesterday while researching ancient tropical Alaska. During the last glacial period Russia was an oasis for creatures to escape the cold.

As well as Alaska apparently.........

www2.gi.alaska.edu...

edit on 23-2-2015 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Maybe the Earth really is expanding!!!

With sinkholes and the like opening up all over the planet, my gut-feeling is that, that dirt has to go somewhere and since it is not on the surface around the hole perhaps the volume it originally took up has increased?

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 11:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

I've been trying to tell everyone we are about to hit a glacial period.

Yeah I think its called winter.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 11:58 PM
link   

I have been astounded by all of the "holes" opening up worldwide for the past several years and so this comes as no surprise. Mother nature is ramping up for something really beyond anything science can imagine and soon I think.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 11:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Yes, how you put it...

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Why? Where on earth did you get that information?
Please share. As long as it is credible.
a reply to: onequestion

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Our earth is undergo shrinking as earth inner core is cooling down, and that explained well the sinking holes, earthquakes, sky falling, airplanes lost direction and nature disasters happened all over the world.

Pls do google earth shrinking theory as you would not regret it

edit on 24-2-2015 by SophiaEveLee because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 07:48 AM
link   
These explosion should release a rather big amount of heat so they should be traceable by some satellites aren't them?

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Quite a few hypotheses put forth but even if the Earth were expanding, contracting or some cycle of the two (which doesn't appear to be the case, at least not to any appreciable amount), how would this lead to circular holes rather than fissures?

Personally, I subscribe to the methane explosion hypothesis. The Yamal Peninsula has gas fields and permafrost; I imagine that methane could be building up in pockets beneath the permafrost. The question then would be what is triggering the explosive release? Seismic activity, thawing permafrost or possibly some combination of the two?

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   

I have a notion that the cause for all these new, unexpected holes in the tundra/permafrost has to do with the hot magma under the continental plates.... they are not fixed 'hot spots' of mantle but temporary (perhaps year long) episodes of intense heat in a small region where convection currents of super hot, plastic-like mantle focuses on a temporary 'hot spot' causing the fast melt from the bottom up to the surface
[including the heating/expansion of methane trapped in the strata.... the trapped subterranean methane pockets are reacting to some sort of cause/stimulation that is unusual...or it would remain in that long lasting dormant state today....It's All about the Earth interior Core & Mantle heat...imho]

it surely is not because of warm-air trade winds in an ever hotter climate on the planet's surface is it ?

edit on th28142479639724462015 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
Quite a few hypotheses put forth but even if the Earth were expanding, contracting or some cycle of the two (which doesn't appear to be the case, at least not to any appreciable amount), how would this lead to circular holes rather than fissures?

Personally, I subscribe to the methane explosion hypothesis. The Yamal Peninsula has gas fields and permafrost; I imagine that methane could be building up in pockets beneath the permafrost. The question then would be what is triggering the explosive release? Seismic activity, thawing permafrost or possibly some combination of the two?

It seems when I first read about these and saw pics that there was quite a bit of ejecta around the rims, which would point to an explosion of some sort from underground.

Though I also believe the earth is expanding....I don't think it has to do with these holes.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join