It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is cursive writing relevant today?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Cursive is a PITA. I ditched it 35 years ago. I was taking architectural design. My "cursive" is text block letters. No way for that to be misinterpreted.

link   
I think it is a waste of time.

Have not used it since I was 8.

Got my biology degree ect cursive has not helped at any point.

In fact id say it hindered my education.
Haveing dysphraxia cursive writeing was near impossible for me to pick up.
It was a asource of intense frustration and insecurity in my early schooling.
Would rather have spent the time concentrating on more meaningfull pursuits.
edit on 23-2-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

It takes me 3x ad long to print. I think I understand, when I write in cursive I can keep up with a person speaking. Its almost seamless.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   
X2 post

edit on 23-2-2015 by Iamthatbish because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

There are also disabilities that allow for cursive to be understood while print isn't decipherable. Cursive and print apparently utilize different brain centers.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   
My own is some insane bastard child of cursive and print.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace

There are also disabilities that allow for cursive to be understood while print isn't decipherable. Cursive and print apparently utilize different brain centers.

Which is why it should be optional.

Rather than force either styles down children throats let them learn under which ones suites them best.

Rather than trying to force cursive onto me they should of left me to print. Rather than been slapped with D's andF's because I couldnt and refused to do my assignments in blasted cursive.

Once I was allowed to choose my education took off fast.

edit on 23-2-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Iamthatbish

That is how you have taught yourself. Im a lousy in cursive ( if i write cursive you need to take the note to the pharmacy to make some sense of my words ) but extremely fast with lettering and i can keep up with a person speaking.
Cursive is waste of time and people who do not like it when taught is absolutely pain.
I had a one highschool teacher who required essays in handwriting.. and as i was trying as hard as i could, he said he can´t read them.. so every freaking time when essays were given back to us i had to read aloud my essay so he could give me a grade for it.

IMHO cursive is for scrapbooks !

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   

The problem with making a system optional is that you then have to teach both systems while making neither mandatory. That's pretty demanding on a teacher with 20 kids, and you also have to get those kids to the point where they have enough facility with each to know which is best for them.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: dollukka
IMHO cursive is for scrapbooks !

Hell, we called it calligraphy back then. It had it's time.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: nullafides
a reply to: EternalSolace

WTF happens when the power goes out?

We write just like we normally do?

If the power goes out I think the speed of people's handwriting will be the least of our worries.

Cursive is of zero use and I don't think time should be wasted on it in an already compromised school schedule. If we want to talk about the intellectual benefits of learning cursive (which I find pretty dubious in the first place) how about we take the time spent teaching cursive and instead teach a foreign language? Maybe Arabic, that has plenty of swirly squiggly lines like cursive.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I wish I could upload pictures but, I'll settle for this link. I have the font on my phone set to Tangerine Bold. Most people can't read it. More importantly my children can't read over my shoulder. Honestly looks like my writing to me.

designm.ag...

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

The problem with making a system optional is that you then have to teach both systems while making neither mandatory. That's pretty demanding on a teacher with 20 kids, and you also have to get those kids to the point where they have enough facility with each to know which is best for them.

We were taught both.

Infact it was standard to teach both. You started out on print then went to cursive.

Plus if one kid is haveing difficultys due a disability then its bloody right to expect the school to ajust there methods in a reasonble way for that kid, and I would saying allowi g that kid to write in print not cursive is a pretty simple and reasonble request unlikely to bring the world down around us.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: nullafides

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: nullafides

WTF happens when the power goes out?

People would still be writing, it just wouldn't be in cursive?

Then when are we going to stop teaching block handwriting? Surely, it's no more necessary than cursive writing is. I mean, EVERYTHING has a keyboard on it...we do not need to kill more trees and hybrid lead/graphite plants to perpetuate out need for handwriting!

Everything doesn't have a keyboard on it, there are still plenty of times and places where people must hand-write things.

Cursive, on the other hand, besides signatures (which are rarely actually written in proper cursive) really does have zero use. Unless we are talking about reading your grandmother's birthday cards.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Writing was a useful exercise when to teach kids who had trouble translating what they saw to their hands to draw. If your kid has trouble with straight lines or making basic shapes, the discipline required to learn to write and reproduce letters is useful to help train those connections between your eye to your brain to your hand, and it works with both cursive and print. In fact, cursive and print train slightly different skill sets - curves and angles/lines.
edit on 23-2-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 05:07 PM
link   
It really saddens me to see our very heritage being chopped and snipped off a little bit at a time. It won't be long and we are going to emerge as a new species. I see no benefit of this erasing of our history.

Ahhh well I am an old fart so please forgive my opinions :-)

S&F
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I have been always good in drawing and painting but lousy with cursive writing.. so all you need to do is give your kid a canvas so he/she can draw whatever she/he likes.. cursive is not needed.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iwinder
It really saddens me to see our very heritage being chopped and snipped off a little bit at a time. It won't be long and we are going to emerge as a new species. I see no benefit of this erasing of our history.

Ahhh well I am an old fart so please forgive my opinions :-)

S&F
Regards, Iwinder

Learning history, and practicing it are two separate things. Sure, present the idea of cursive and offer an extra curricular class for those interested, but class time is extremely valuable and in short supply these days, I hardly think the hours and hours dedicated to teaching/learning cursive couldn't be better spent on an array of different things.

American schools are already turning into garbage compared to most of the developed world, and it's not because children don't know cursive. But by all means, let's dedicate more of that school time to something that doesn't benefit the child or their future prospects, just because it feels good to old-timers!
edit on 23-2-2015 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: dollukka
a reply to: ketsuko

I have been always good in drawing and painting but lousy with cursive writing.. so all you need to do is give your kid a canvas so he/she can draw whatever she/he likes.. cursive is not needed.

You don't understand. I worked with these kids. It was a big help. They couldn't draw, either.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: James1982

By the same token, no one can argue that the standard of American education has gone in the crapper and it was much better before ... when we taught cursive.

So maybe we ought to really stop and think before we keep chopping more and more of what was part of what used to be a far more effective education system to replace it with the next new pop-education theory of the month.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join