It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reason for Al-Shabbab Mall Attack Threats?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   
CBC Link

As most of us have heard, cheap, made in China goods that proliferate malls and bigger stores are facing shortages, as dock workers struggle to unload back logged shipments of products from overseas.

This is just a wild thought, but why not; could the recent threats we've seen from Al Shabbab outlining plans to carry out terrorist attacks on huge malls in the US and Canada really be a way to deter customers from seeing business with empty shelves?

CBC Link

There has been so much research on consumer habits showing that shoppers will quickly stop shopping at a store that seems under stocked, and the recent occurrence of Targets bankruptcy here in Canada has been partly blamed on this. Is this terrorist threat just a move by the malls to ensure customers stay away long enough for them to restock, the loss of business in the meantime a small price to pay for the lifetime loss of some customers?

Just a wild theory, but you never know. I didn't think Al-Shabab was a global terror threat, but I realize anyone has the ability to say anything in a video and release it to the public to spark fear.
edit on 23-2-2015 by Atsbhct because: Fixed link

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

Interesting proposition. Very interesting.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Wow, very interesting theory.

Not sure I buy it, ha ha

But I have noticed a lot of empty shelves lately
and shelves with items rearranged to make them look full when they are not

Thought it was just me.
Guess it is happening.

Especially at the military commissary where I mostly shop.

Occasionally the shelves get bare, but lately they are always bare compared to normal.

Noticed it in the Walmarts too, yes I admit to be a Walmart shopper, so go ahead and make fun of me.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   
You just really never know what's actually going on in the world.

a reply to: nullafides

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Im definitely not pushing this as true, it's just something that occurred to me.

a reply to: grandmakdw

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   

I would argue its simply a natural progression of crime and terrorism. Why wouldnt a terrorist strive to kill more people, more quickly, in a more spectacular and fear propagating manner?

Honestly, I am shocked this hasnt happened yet.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Or simply a way of directing consumers to online shopping giving a much needed bump to the drone delivery prospect.
or simply to boost online shopping forcing highstreets, malls, shopping centers to struggle because by planting that specific seed of "terrorist threat" would be all it would take for many to avoid it.

Like your thread though.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I think it's just a matter of a very soft target with a potential for a high civilian body count. That's the kind of thing that makes terrorists very happy.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, and sometimes a blood thirsty terrorist is just a blood thirsty terrorist.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct
Im definitely not pushing this as true, it's just something that occurred to me.

a reply to: grandmakdw

Sometimes, something that "occurs to" someone is a truth breakthrough.

Good out of the box, genius level thinking.

Even if it is not true in the end, your creative analysis is excellent

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   
So true. I suppose as a conspiracy theorist, I'm more focused on consumerist conspiracies, than any other, so my brain can create links like this pretty easily. I still like this theory, as I said you just never know. Police have said there is no imminent threat from the terrorist group, who are as so far stationed in Africa.

Al Shabab on the surface seems like a poor terrorist outfit, even with its links to Al Qaeda. Why threaten acts that you will never see through. Does this weaken you as a terrorist group, or is their goal to spread only unfounded fear in the West?

a reply to: FlyersFan

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   

outlining plans to carry out terrorist attacks on huge malls in the US and Canada really be a way to deter customers from seeing business with empty shelves?

Not many stores in West Edmonton mall that have empty shelves.....it's a really busy mall, with lots of stores.
All of the stores I've been to over the last month or so have been well stocked.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   
West Edmonton Mall is obscenely huge and very busy, yes. And can it continue to have well stocked shelves through a period where shipments aren't regular? Who knows? Thanks for the report!a reply to: snowspirit

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct

There has been so much research on consumer habits showing that shoppers will quickly stop shopping at a store that seems under stocked, and the recent occurrence of Targets bankruptcy here in Canada has been partly blamed on this. Is this terrorist threat just a move by the malls to ensure customers stay away long enough for them to restock, the loss of business in the meantime a small price to pay for the lifetime loss of some customers?

So, retailers are having problems with customers not shopping at their stores and their solution includes spreading a story about a terrorist attack at their stores?!?!

Are you serious?

If they need time to restock wouldn't the solution be to, I don't know, just say they're closing to restock? As opposed to forever associating their businesses with the suggestion that you might die a horrible death by going there?

The main reason for the Al-Shabaab threats is Al-Qaeda trying to prove they're just as tough as ISIS.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Im not all that serious about, no. I think I made that clear. It's still an interesting correlation to me.

a reply to: DelMarvel

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   

There is no empty shelves in Westfield.

So I doubt it.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I think Walmart has hired new PR people to scare customers away from big malls and into Walmart.

They have to get extra business to pay for the employee raises.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Ohhhh, good catch.

a reply to: xuenchen

new topics

top topics

join