It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

2015 Garden thread

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 10:00 PM
Hello fellow gardeners! I just wanted to pop into this thread for the first time to ask for help! I'm doing some container gardening this year, beautiful little heirlooms that I started from seed. Everything is growing well, BUT lately my bush beans have developed some weird little white spots. I was hoping you good folks might have some idea what the problem is and how I can resolve it? I'd hate to lose these cute little babies I've managed to keep alive for this long! Here's a pic. Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions!

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 07:43 AM
a reply to: MojaveBurning

If it is a powdery (mildew?), then I had that on my euonymus plant and made a strong baking soda solution and drenched it top and bottom and not only did it rid the plant of it (mold?) but it never returned in many years. I cannot recall what it was, but that looks very similar. Anyway, it is worth a try.

So, I think a squirrel has eaten all the newly sown heirloom seeds I planted the other day.
In the future I will have to start the seedlings indoors, or buy them then plant them. Oh well, they have to eat too.
edit on 20-4-2015 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 11:52 AM
a reply to: MojaveBurning

You may also want to check the underside of the leaves and make sure nothing is sucking he juice out of them. Beans are especially sensitive to fungus and molds too. They don't like to be handled when the leaves are wet.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 11:57 AM
a reply to: InTheLight

Nice! We usually hit the beaches in the spring to bring home a load of kelp for the compost and some mulching! The plants really do love it! It breaks down so slowly that it feeds all summer!

We have a few things up in the air right now, so planting has been paused briefly. My spinach, radishes, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbages, and kale are sprouting happy outside! Hopefully a few questions will be answered soon and the peas, carrots, root crops and everyone else can still make it in the ground before our annual planting date of May 10.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 06:02 PM
a reply to: woodsmom

It's amazing, I fed the kelp fertilizer to my houseplants a few weeks ago and one has sent up a flower already. So nice!

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 06:14 PM
a reply to: InTheLight

I swear by Kelp Meal. B1 is also a good thing to throw into the watering cycle for keeping plants stress free.

Whoever posted that pic of their Nasturtium garden. Pretty, pretty pretty...and yummy. Spicy salad time!

So happy to see this thread ummm .... blossom!

As for me. Princessa Plumeria (pink & orange) is putting out new leaves for the season and is on track. Celedon Plumeria (white & Yellow) not getting enough light, about a month behind schedule. Will bloom probably in late summer. Was hopping for earlier. Heliconia is getting very leafy and pretty, waiting for it to send out some flower spikes. Looks very healthy.

Blood banana happy and leafy. Might flower in late summer too. Will be interesting to see.

Hibiscus happy and flowering in cycles of 4-5 big bright red flowers every two weeks.

Will post pics as soon as there is something worth posting. I might just walk around the neighborhood and take pics of other peoples successful gardens in So Cal and post them if they have the merit.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 09:19 PM
great to hear of everyone's endeavors!
My corn and tomatoes are well on their way, beans and melons are biding their time, cukes, peppers and onions off to a good start. I got citrus trees (orange and lemon) this year! I don't know how it will work out but it's fun watching them. Hoping I can keep everyone blooming and happy! Go-go gardeners!

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 10:20 PM
My GF and I only grow 2 crops. Raspberries and asparagus; both destined for the yuppie restaurants in our village.
The asparagus is in full swing; we hope to start harvesting the berries mid June...

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 10:28 PM
a reply to: olaru12

Do tell about the asperagus. I've always been fascinated about how to best grow them. Love to get your advice. My mom would be ecstatic if I brought her home grown asperagus.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 10:44 PM

originally posted by: BASSPLYR

Do tell about the asperagus. I've always been fascinated about how to best grow them. Love to get your advice. My mom would be ecstatic if I brought her home grown asperagus.

It's a very easy crop to grow!! Basically all we did was order the crowns from a farm supplier and stick them in the ground. The asparagus shoots will pop up in about a year and continue all summer. It's possible to order older crowns and enjoy a harvest much sooner. No need to reseed, just water and weed. Same with the berries. Very little maintenance. We had absolutely no experience with either crop. Youtube had a wealth of great info on both. Our 1.5 acre was complete desert and now it provides additional income.

We also harvest wild asparagus that grows along the irrigation ditches that supply water to the small farms in our village on the Rio Grande.

I also play standup and a fretless bass with a local Django styled combo. Good luck with your garden!!!
edit on 30-4-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-4-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 08:55 AM
Had some other projects take precedence, so our veggie garden got moved back to September.
We'll actually prep the area in August, but plant in September.

Our culinary/medicinal herb garden though, should be happening this month (next at the latest).
We're putting in a koi pond in our little atrium by the front door, and having a small herb garden around it.

Throughout the year (as I find them), I'll also be planting some fruit trees around the property.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 11:52 AM
a reply to: Gazrok

Like the idea of the Koi pond! Water features always bring a touch of serenity to any garden.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 11:57 AM

What sorta soil and how wet do you keep the asparagus's feet? I always thought it needed almost boggy like soil.

Went to a nursery this weekend to buy a stone Chinese pagoda tea candle lantern for my patio. The flickering light dapples nicely through the foliage and gives the garden a warm feel.

Bought some black/purple Taro that's pretty leafy and stuck it under my banana plant.

Sadly went a little overboard with the grilling this weekend on my patio and didn't realize one of my plumeria that's just beginning to sprout leaves was too close to the grill when starting it up (it's charcoal) and singed two of her new leaves. She's be fine and has plenty more but still, I'm sorta mad at my self for the carelessness. She'll be fine but still I get the bad gardener award for the week.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 12:46 PM
it might seem 'late' to many.... but the timing of planting was mostly 'instinctual' on my part...(May 11th start)

I have a dedicated part of the property meant solely for grains...
here's how I intend to get at least a bushel of a couscous type of grain on little more than a 1K sq foot - to start- read the details about the plant's bounty

I will experiment for three years with Amaranth

my Moringa tree seedlings are doing OK so far, but of the 6 plants & 5 seeds sent me have a mortality rate of 2-for-11 or less than 20% survival... I try to be careful but I am clumsy

I am also doing some heritage seeds.. a cantaloupe mellon ID'd as 'Kansas' from the same Utah seed source...starting just today in the peat pots to be transferred into spaces between cabbages, peppers, potatoes already in the ground since March '15
edit on th31143188528317542015 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 11:13 PM
a reply to: St Udio

I totally understand that instinctive direction in knowing when to plant and when not to, I suppose it's a natural talent.

I too, will keep an eye on the mortality rates of seedlings and other plants, particularily the native species.
edit on 17-5-2015 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 11:07 AM
Small update. My large (4 foot tall) White/yellow Celadine Plumeria showing two flower spikes with about 10-15 buds on each! My little Celadine (2 foot tall) just getting some new leaves for the season but all signs say she's healthy just a month behind schedule.

Will post pics in about three weeks of the flowering plumeria. Lots more near September when I have all of the plumeria colors blooming.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 05:33 AM
Thanks nonspecific , great info =)

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 10:00 AM
gotta get a better image of all the grape bunches on these 6 each, 2nd year black muscadines...

edit on th31143273995627192015 by St Udio because: image

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 03:41 PM
Mini update for my patio garden.

Some of my early blooming plumeria are in full bloom. Variety called cancun. The flowers have a strong bubblegum/ cinnamon odor especially at night and early morning. I have three varieties of plumeria and this cultivar is the most hardy and aggressive. growing faster, taller and blooming earlier than the others. Recommended for your gardens if you can find it. Good for beginners and for those that want a quickly growing yet still very attractive tree for your property.

Pics below from this morning.

Meanwhile my celadine variety is beginning to put out real vigorous flower spikes, which will produce many blooms in about three weeks or so.

Pic of one of my celadines flower spikes. Celadine is perhaps the most fragrant and in my opinion most elegant of the plumeria varieties.

Will upload pics of her progress through her peak inflorencis cause the blooms will look like this.

edit on 6-6-2015 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 04:05 PM
a reply to: BASSPLYR

IN Sydney, Frangipanis are a type of this plant, the fragrance is so lovely. It is my favourite flowers

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>