It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'He Might Be Here to Rob Us': Pharmacist Guns Down Would-Be Robber

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: WilsonWilson
I dont understand the point of the thread, it just seems to be gloryfying the death of somebody.
Do people just post pictures of people being shot without any point, surely that should be against the T&C's.

or maybe it's the beginning of a 'we hate thugs disrupting polite society' movement

people have had enough of the 'just give them the money; it's not worth your life' crap

it's my money, and we're going to fight for it
edit on 23-2-2015 by acackohfcc because: spelling

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
a reply to: network dude

I always thought the main focus point was to stop Guns getting into the hands of the Mentally Ill.

I'm not suggesting the Mentally Ill can purchase a Gun legally...
Although I have heard that on the boards.

Is that a myth, or dependent on certain State's Laws?

They will tell you it's just the start but then Obama/the UN/the illuminati will forbid all guns and enslave the population. You get the drift.

I'm not even kidding, you see this in gun/republican forums all the time.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   

I always thought the main focus point was to stop Guns getting into the hands of the Mentally Ill.

You bring up a good point. I have been getting the distinct impression that 'mental health' is the next logical vector to the denial of personal liberty.

I have no doubt that the anti-gun lobby will be instrumental in their efforts to classify all citizens by their 'sanity points'.

The gun debate is part of a larger argument about one's right to control and defend their property, bodily or otherwise.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Develo

You care soooo much

its kinda cute

from the other side of the world, so concerned with the big boys
edit on 23-2-2015 by miomo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I guess profiling IS effective.

Gun control should be pulled BACK so these NUTBALLS have no safe haven to hunt down unarmed people.
SHOOTING should be taught in grade schools so the children UNDERSTAND what a gun is.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   

I am not 100% on the law, but in my understanding, if you have been diagnosed with a mental illness, it will show up when applying for a weapon, and (I ASSume you would not be able to purchase the weapon.)

Here you have a background check to purchase a rifle or shotgun and you must have a concealed cary permit or obtain a handgun permit for each weapon to buy a handgun. A criminal history will negate your chances of buying a weapon legally.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

I think that sort of Gun control lobbying is worth the risk in spite of the risks of them trying to take all Guns and deem everyone incompetent.

That would never pass in the slightest.

& honestly, having spent more than enough time on a Mental Ward...
I've met plenty of people who should be the last person to get their hands on a Gun legally.

I know there is the whole "they could get them illegally" argument...
But they can do that now anyways...

So really, any chance to minimise that possibility is worth it imo.

edit on 23-2-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

You're correct...I don't...but his words were none other than "thief".... Some one whom steals...he said I was stopping a robbery....he never says he was protecting his members of staff.
Personally as I stated the whole incident is just sad ...?it should not be used to glorify guns...and the man was not a hero...if all had gone wrong his actions could have actually caused more harm than good...glorification of this sad event from all sides is just not what I would think is appropriate....that is just a opinion.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Yeah I'm not too sure either.

I just hear it so often that I've no idea if it's an urban legend thrown around to add weight to the argument and entice the unwitting into submission...
Or if there is the distinct possibility that some States don't bother looking at Mental Health.

I always mean to ask people which is the case...
But these threads devolve into a rally for or against so often I usually dodge them, it has become a bit tedious in the year I've been a member.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   

a reply to: greencmp

I think that sort of Gun control lobbying is worth the risk in spite of the risks of them trying to take all Guns and deem everyone incompetent.

That would never pass in the slightest.

& honestly, having spent more than enough time on a Mental Ward...
I've met plenty of people who should be the last person to get their hands on a Gun legally.

I know there is the whole "they could get them illegally" argument...
But they can do that now anyways...

So really, any chance to minimise that possibility is worth it imo.

I do not have the same level of confidence that any legislation can be sensible or measured.

There is a great article that I can't find right now (naturally) that makes the case against compulsory institutionalization of the 'mentally unfit'. It was written in the 70s I think and the data available at the time indicated that those who were deemed mentally ill had significantly lower per capita incidents of violence than non-mentally ill people.

I expect that trend to be continually reflected with the exception of the introduction of the group of psychoactive anti depression drugs which do appear to cause violent psychotic outbursts in otherwise well adjusted people.

If it is true that mentally ill people have significantly reduced risk of committing acts of violence, the whole argument is invalidated.
edit on 23-2-2015 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Mental illness is severely stygmatitzed in the US,most try their best to HIDE any impairment as it will KILL your work prospects.
WE have no national service or system to diagnose or help the people who do have issues.
Even then it would be a political TOOL if the overseeing people become political activists.
Unless you are diagnosed they wouldn't know if you're impaired and even so all one must do is lie on the form to get a firearm.
All of it is a bit academic as Criminals already have access to guns where ever they wish to get them.
edit on 23-2-2015 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   
The truth for me is that I'm just a butt-hurt convicted felon due to a non-violent, non-sexual, non-theft related "crime" almost exactly five years ago, so I've been having to live like I were poor and frequenting the streets because I can't get hired for anything even remotely worthwhile, much less using my education and skills, for two more years at the least.

Thank God for my mother's ex-husband or else I'd be literally homeless. She died abruptly without warning 2 & 1/2 years ago.

I like/respect guns and would own one if the Government let me, but alas, I can never do that, much less ever vote again. If I did though, I wouldn't be walking around with it on my hip in a holster, or with a rifle slung over my back whenever I went out in public. I would even feasibly consider concealed, but I wouldn't ever show anyone, tell anyone, or talk about it.

My main point is that people don't know # about other people's position in life, much less their views on guns for personal use, or why they have them. Had this not been my situation, I may have never observed what I have up to this point, changing my ideas on the subject entirely. I apologize if I find all of this rather silly and sad.

My other point is that I have to drive around and more importantly walk alot in bad areas in this high-crime city. I also technically live in a "crime zone" due to nearby neighborhoods (low income apartment complexes inhabited by predominantly african americans). I have truly realistic reasons to be armed for self protection and I can't, so I've have to live and learn. I worry about even carrying a small pocket knife due to the chances of a police officer messing with me over it, after frisking me, for something randomly stupid.

Yes, I'm more worried about a cop getting me in trouble for a knife than I am of someone shooting me or pulling a gun on me in public. But I do worry about that, too. My girlfriend won't even go on walks with me after sun down. The Rite-Aid pharmacy on the corner a 1/4 mile from my house is the more frequently robbed pharmacy in the nearby area, it's been hit many times; sometimes the pharmacy itself, sometimes the front cash register. The CVS down the street from there was also recently robbed. I go to both stores.

So people whining about it that actually own guns and live somewhere snug like ... Kansas or Oregon irk me ever so slightly.
edit on 2/23/2015 by r0xor because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Develo

Can you tell me what control measures are currently in place in regards to purchasing or acquiring a gun.

Also, in addition to any of the current laws, what would you like to see added to the current laws to help control the ownership of guns.

Obviously I don't believe you want to eliminate them entirely. Just wondering how we can improve the process.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: WilsonWilson

WilsonWilson...

There is missing the point, and then there is taking the turning circle of a supertanker ship, and using that as your route around the main thrust of the thread.

The video is a clear demonstration, of a citizen protecting himself, his colleagues, and members of the public, by totally neutralising a very serious and immediate threat to their lives, using a gun. There is no gore involved, there is no blood spray, and although one could suggest legitimately that the robber was a dead man running when he moved out of shot, one does not see the grim moment at which his essence left the vessel in which it had previously been contained.

The video makes the point that the OP was clearly intending, in a thorough and comprehensive fashion. Also, this is ATS, and is a place to deny ignorance. So look, look upon the realities of life, and death, and respect the opportunity they represent to learn something about the world you live in. No one wants people do die, but the bio-mechanical nature of this thing we call death is no less of a worthy thing to learn about, than the processes of life.

Entire text books on pathology, with full colour photographs taken at autopsy, and indeed at crime scenes (if the book also covers forensics) can be taken out from the library, sold at bookstores or even on the internet, and I highly recommend that anyone who truly believes in denying ignorance, should consider death in the same way, and rather than shy away from how the process works, take notes and expand ones knowledge base when the opportunity knocks.

edit on 23-2-2015 by TrueBrit because: Spelling error removed.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   
The purpose of this thread is to celebrate the death of someone who didn't deserve to live. Life is extremely overrated & the dude trying to rob a pharmacy knew the risks. Good riddance, I say.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Obviously . . .
this young man was failed
by the Department of Education

and his family.

If he had an interest in side arms
he should have gone out for the
school shooting team.

With enough aptitude he could have gone Olympic.

But for generations now the Department of Education (how do I know he didn't go to private school? I don't know. I just know it.) has refused to teach gun safety, and he wound up getting a side arm anyway, and he wound us misusing it. Yes I mourn the possible passing of the Mohammad Ali of sharp shooting.

But to the clerk I say, clean shoot.

Mike Grouchy

edit on 23-2-2015 by mikegrouchy because: format

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   
We shouldn't celebrate anyone dying. Just not good. There's too much of that in this world.

having said that if you pull out a gun on someone, you have to realize that life is not a video game and there is a really good chance you could be killed, wounded or end up in prison for the rest of your life.

This robber, came in wearing a mask, and then pulled the gun. With all of the senseless gun violence today, I would be afraid that he would just start pulling the trigger, so if I was that pharmacist and I had that gun, I would have done the same thing. You can't take the chance in this day and age that a robber is just going to pull a gun for intimidation. He deserved to get shot.

Still it is tragic and as other's have pointed out, mental health and addiction and education need to be a part of this discussion. How do we really stop violence? With more guns? Not in this case. How do we stop violence before it gets to this point. That's the discussion we need to have.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   

How do we stop violence before it gets to this point.

We have all the laws necessary to do it.

Short of changing the country so every one has a reasonable economic opportunity, there is no solution.

I suspect the current thought with many criminals is 'with nothing there is nothing to lose'.
edit on 2/23/2015 by roadgravel because: fix quote

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Having laws isn't a solution, it's a work-around to a problem that can't be solved. Laws on drugs are a failure, gun laws are a failure, seat belt laws are a failure etc. People who commit crime have nothing to lose or everything to gain and take the risk. People steal to pay bills and help their family. People steal to hurt someone and to benefit their gang. People steal because their addicted to it and for self benefit. Whatever the reason, the only way I personally see crime slowing down is arming store owners and the general public. A crime is less likely to occur if the place that is going to get hit is known to be armed.

If you want guns illegal, then why stop there? We might as well make cars illegal...they kill people. Double cheese burgers with bacon? Why not. The PEOPLE should choose what is right for them, not the government who is KNOWN to consistently make bad choices!

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   

nope being mentaly ill in usa at least does not disqualify you from firearms ownership,being forcibly committed to a mental instituion on a 5150 will though .you have to have been ruled adjudicated mentally defective for that to come into play
www.atf.gov... probally best link on the mental illness issue
www.ncsl.org... laws do vary by state by just being mentaly ill on its self is not grounds for baring fire arms ownership in the usa.

Possession of a firearm by the mentally ill is regulated by both state and federal laws. Federal Law Under 18 U.S.C. § 922(d), it is unlawful for any person to sell or otherwise dispose of any firearm or ammunition to any person knowing or having reasonable cause to believe that such person “has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to any mental institution.

and as you can only be "adjudicated as mentally defective" by a court or be institutionalized against your will for this to apply its not something that is generally applied as a whole to those with mental illness.so its quite the myth that being mentally ill in usa disqualifies you from fire arms ownership

and on the person you were replyings to comment RE lists of those with mental illness: that kind of information is not availible to the general public or even most government agencies due to HIPPA guidelines meaning that just looking up some ones name on the instant criminal background check system will not give mental health information out .

more on topic: the clerk seemed to be highly practiced and comfortable with what was undoubtedly a stressful situation.
he seemed to identify the attempted robber before the robber could draw his weapon,the clerk then used a coworker to cover the act of him drawing his pistol while the robber seemed to fumble with his.

clerk then lands what appears to be the bulk of his shots center mass and stops shooting when the suspect no longer presented a threat .seems like a clean shoot on clerks part
edit on 23-2-2015 by RalagaNarHallas because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-2-2015 by RalagaNarHallas because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join