It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Human DNA gives mice bigger brains

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 04:47 AM
link   
www.cnet.com...

The DNA sequence, called HARE5, is a gene activity regulator shown to markedly increase the size of a mouse embryo's brain when injected into the embryo. Compared to a mouse embryo injected with chimpanzee HARE5, the mouse embryo's brain grew 12 percent larger.

Great hope for anyone with memory issues, like myself. Especially the elderly.

Mice with human HARE5 showed faster proliferation of neuron progenitor cells than mice with chimp HARE5 -- resulting in more neurons, and affecting the neocortex -- the region of the brain involved in higher functions, such as language and reasoning. Towards the end of gestation, the size difference in the brains was visible to the naked eye.

I wonder if they actual let the embryos develop. I'd love to see how crazy smart these mice are!

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 04:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: FireflyStars

I wonder if they actual let the embryos develop. I'd love to see how crazy smart these mice are!

Watch the "Secret of Nimh". It's an old animated movie about this very thing.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 05:14 AM
link   
a reply to: FireflyStars
Same thing we do every night, Pinky!

They're Pinky, They're Pinky and the Brain Brain Brain Brain Brain!

Thanks for posting the article!
edit on 23-2-2015 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 05:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Lucid Lunacy

^^^^ Exactly what I thought. Haha.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Just what we need. Ultra smart mice escaping the lab and breeding uncontrollably.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Sounds like a nice plot for a movie.
Any Hollywood producers around?
----------------------------------
On a serious note:
With what else has they been testing?
Because for me that could mean that humans has been playing around with DNA far more than we think. May explain "cryptids" sightings in the world.
edit on 23-2-2015 by Abednego because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 07:01 AM
link   
This is deeply disturbing. It actually explains why cannibalism is such a problem in this day.

Please consider this; the increased growth of the brain might suggest that animals (including us) cannot properly break down human DNA since it is atop the food chain. I'm more inclined to believe that deposits are being left in the brain and this could result in swelling, and ultimately tumours (consider an acoustic neuroma at the vestibulocochlear nerve, which may be the result of a build-up of cartilage due to problems with metabolism and/or autoimmunity).

We're heading the wrong way. Take note.

edit on 23-2-2015 by VigiliaProcuratio because:  

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Squeak squeak squeak squeak (oh nos, I've mixed the injections up!) squeak (zoom across floor) squeak

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   
First thing this makes me think of is the mice in Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy....

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: AdmireTheDistance

Let's start injecting some people with mouse DNA.
I have a list. (Don't worry, none on ATS.)
edit on 23-2-2015 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Maybe the same was done to us. The ancient texts say that this is exactly what happened. Would explain how we got the way we are.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oannes
Maybe the same was done to us. The ancient texts say that this is exactly what happened. Would explain how we got the way we are.

Ancient texts would have no knowledge of DNA.

In ancient texts, reproduction implied sex.

Perhaps you are thinking of some modern theories based very loosely and inaccurately on poor translations of ancient texts (cough Sitchin, cough).

edit on 23/2/2015 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   
So this is real? Human DNA in my brain. I was just under the impression I was dreaming all of this while hibernating in a hole in the ground.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   

www.cnet.com...

Excellent so, basically we just need an injection of Human DNA to help us stave off dementia? [/sarcasm]

I saw an episode of Jesse Venturas Conspiracy Theory last night that went into Human/Animal hybrids. They said that someone had made Human/Rabbit hybrids in the past (though i don't see the point in those) and that a lab in America had impregnated an ape with human semen but considered their actions after the baby was born and terminated it.
They also touched on Human/Mouse hybrids but they said it was mice with human brains, this makes more sense...

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oannes

Some time in our ancient history two chromosomes fused together. Why would something like that happen, and how would those individuals have been able to reproduce?

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   

www.cnet.com...

The DNA sequence, called HARE5, is a gene activity regulator shown to markedly increase the size of a mouse embryo's brain when injected into the embryo. Compared to a mouse embryo injected with chimpanzee HARE5, the mouse embryo's brain grew 12 percent larger.

Mice with human HARE5 showed faster proliferation of neuron progenitor cells than mice with chimp HARE5 -- resulting in more neurons, and affecting the neocortex -- the region of the brain involved in higher functions, such as language and reasoning. Towards the end of gestation, the size difference in the brains was visible to the naked eye.

The HARE5 mice would have bigger heads, maybe too big to lift off of the floor. And they wouldn't be able to squeeze through half inch holes any more.

Studying IQ acquired by having more brain cells needs an animal with a soft and stretchy skull.

Rats do explore and remember. Rats that spend time in the maze before the maze solving experiment always score higher than rats in the maze for the first time. Rats would probably be smarter with more brain cells.

top topics

join