It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Dangerous and Destructive Mythology of American Exceptionalism

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

Cursive writing isn't taught in schools anymore. Civics aren't being taught in schools. Proper history isn't being taught in schools

It appears that many things aren't being taught in U.S. schools. If they are being taught, then it's obviously not sinking in.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace
Cursive writing isn't taught in schools anymore. Civics aren't being taught in schools. Proper history isn't being taught in schools.

History and maybe civics I can understand, but why is cursive writing necessary? It's a useless writing technique. They might as well be teaching us American Sign Language. Actually, check that. I'd rather learn American Sign Language than cursive writing. I'm sure the deaf people would appreciate it if more people knew how to communicate with them instead of everyone knowing how to sign their name (let's be real, most people just make a bunch of squiggles and line out the rest of the name; it's not even cursive anyways).
edit on 23-2-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Good point. We're all crap and we clearly should have no pride because we have never once done anything but destroy all that is good in the World. Everyone else, however, is an angel and is clearly head and shoulders above us. That about sum it up?

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: jaffo

Pride and love of Country is one thing, and is perfectly fine. I love America. It's my homeland even if I live abroad. But I also love it enough to recognize that we're NOT as exceptional as we used to be, and we really don't strive for exceptionalism like we used to. To truly love one's country, you must realize that like all nations, it has flaws. To ignore those flaws and simply go along with Rah Rah Rah USA #1 FOREVER crowd is not truly loving your country, but being blind.
edit on 23-2-2015 by ScientificRailgun because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Duly noted.

Now we Americans shall continue to embrace the notion that we are capable of the exceptional, and everyone else can continue to believe whatever the hell they want.

I once had a conversation with a foreign athelete, during which it came out that he finds USA fans irritating. When asked what exactly bothered him he replied that during international sporting events all over the world, fans from the US typically outnumber fans from all other countries, and they tend to offer the most vocal support for their team (USA! USA! USA!). He went on to say that teams from the US often easily win, which he attributed solely to having more financial support. So basically, his grievance was: US teams are too competetive, have too much money to spend, and get too much support from fans. Maybe the phrase 'sore loser' has no translation in his language?

Think of yourself as a loser, and you will probably lose. Think yourself a winner, and you stand a chance at taking the gold. Just remember - everybody hates a winner.

www.thenakedscientists.com...
edit on 23-2-2015 by OpenMindedRealist because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

...but why is cursive writing necessary?

We sign our name to contracts, to receive letters at the post office, and to write checks. It offers added security as it's more difficult to forge. The Constitution, the Bill of Rights, and the Declaration of Independence is written in cursive. All of our founding documents were written in cursive. Everyone ought to be able to read those documents in their original form. There are developmental benefits that goes along with it as well. There are so many benefits beyond the aesthetics.

It's far from a useless technique. I also agree that sign language ought to be taught as well.
edit on 2/23/2015 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   

No, I disagree. It is a waste of time to learn. Most people do most of their signing online and even with paper signing, that is TWO words that you have to learn how to sign. Learning a whole writing technique to write that, is a waste.

The Constitution and other government documents have all been transposed accurately to text for anyone to read typed out. There is no need to read the original manuscripts outside say for research or something.

Time spent learning cursive could go to much better skills that will help the children handle themselves in TODAY'S environment, not the environment from the 1790's. Typing skills, for instance, would be a MUCH better class than cursive writing.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Should we also dumb down the English language to fit today's environment? As in 'text-talk' ?

Written communication will always be a necessity. Cursive writing will always be a part of written communication.

Print is akin to 'text-talk' just like cursive is akin to proper English. At least it's the way I view it.
edit on 2/23/2015 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

On tge flip side you can't always point out the bad or it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

It should be balanced, when I was young it seemed close... Now it's either rara or we only eat babies an assault young boys while bathing in the blood of Virgin girls.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   

That is a terrible comparison. Text type is neater and more professional looking than cursive. Cursive tends to be sloppy and hard to read, especially if the document is long and the person has been writing a while. It is outdated and annoying to read. And it is pretty much non-existent in our day to day life.

If you ask me, writing has improved DRAMATICALLY since we started typing out our documents instead of writing them in cursive. If you notice, I'm not using text type in my paragraph to you. In fact, it is frowned upon on these forums. So contrary to the opinions of the older generations, text type isn't going to replace regular typing.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf

On tge flip side you can't always point out the bad or it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

It should be balanced, when I was young it seemed close... Now it's either rara or we only eat babies an assault young boys while bathing in the blood of Virgin girls.
I agree there should be a balance. Like so many things in the modern world, it has become completely polarized with moderate voices being silenced by the loudest on both sides of the fence.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

THAT is apparently the goal of P.C. scocioloical efforts and why I so vehemently oppose such behavior.
Not to be divisive or to discourage equallity but because we ALWAYS want to win FOR A REASON.

Got to believe in yourself ,and constant bleating of negative reiforcement is NOT going to work.
edit on 23-2-2015 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   

No, I disagree. It is a waste of time to learn. Most people do most of their signing online and even with paper signing, that is TWO words that you have to learn how to sign. Learning a whole writing technique to write that, is a waste.

The Constitution and other government documents have all been transposed accurately to text for anyone to read typed out. There is no need to read the original manuscripts outside say for research or something.

Time spent learning cursive could go to much better skills that will help the children handle themselves in TODAY'S environment, not the environment from the 1790's. Typing skills, for instance, would be a MUCH better class than cursive writing.

Id like to add that learning to write in cursive 1) has no affect on your ability to read anyone else's hand writing, & 2) most people who learned cursive in school don't remember it or care to remember it.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Eunuchorn

Id like to add that learning to write in cursive 1) has no affect on your ability to read anyone else's hand writing, & 2) most people who learned cursive in school don't remember it or care to remember it.

I'll just leave this here.
And here's another piece.

There ARE tangible benefits to learning to write in curvise.
edit on 23-2-2015 by ScientificRailgun because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Eunuchorn

Exactly. Cursive is just teaching through rote memorization. You don't gain anything as a person by knowing it. It is just a technique you can use. REAL learning teaches you about critical thought. To doubt the things you think you know. To not only question everything, but know how to seek the answers truthfully. Not that rote memorization techniques don't have their place,(what do you think math is?). There just needs to be a true balance between them.

The problem with our schools is that they are embracing rote memorization over teaching critical thought, because critical thought is hard. Therefore teaching it is even harder.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun

originally posted by: Eunuchorn

I'll just leave this here.
And here's another piece.

There ARE tangible benefits to learning to write in curvise.

So why does that apply to cursive only and not also standard writing with a pen and pencil?

Edit: Actually your source is super-biased towards keeping cursive in schools. I clicked on the link it referenced its sources from and I got this wsj article (I see you posted that link too now) that talks about handwriting in general. Not just cursive. The first article is sensationalized to try to get people to agree that cursive is still a desirable skill to have even though the paper it is referencing is just for handwriting in general.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Maybe I just fear a world where everyone writes like they stopped learning in 2nd grade.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Is there something wrong with writing your t's without little tails and not having all your letters connected? Writing like I am typing now but with a pen still takes effort and rote memorization to accomplish and I certainly never said to stop teaching it. I just think that cursive is stupid. I thought it was stupid in 3rd grade when I learned it then promptly stopped using it in 4th grade never to use again outside of a signature and I think it is stupid now.

Like I said, cursive is hard to read. Text like we are typing is easy to read. If you want to write with a pen, write using this text. It is neater anyways.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I'm going to start a thread on cursive language so we can not hijack this thread. Because technically it is off topic for this thread.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun
Maybe I just fear a world where everyone writes like they stopped learning in 2nd grade.

For myself, my concern is for quality over method. A lifetime of near-exclusive keyboard use has rendered my handwriting -- either cursive or block -- completely useless.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join