It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Dangerous and Destructive Mythology of American Exceptionalism

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

Is there something wrong with writing your t's without little tails and not having all your letters connected? Writing like I am typing now but with a pen still takes effort and rote memorization to accomplish and I certainly never said to stop teaching it. I just think that cursive is stupid. I thought it was stupid in 3rd grade when I learned it then promptly stopped using it in 4th grade never to use again outside of a signature and I think it is stupid now.

Like I said, cursive is hard to read. Text like we are typing is easy to read. If you want to write with a pen, write using this text. It is neater anyways.
This is in danger of being off topic, but as a girl I just like the way cursive looks. It's very flowery and flowing. It DOES take a lot of practice to learn and learn well. While I don't see it being commonly taught in school anymore, I do wish I could see clubs in school that practice cursive like the Japanese have clubs dedicated to Calligraphy.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

Just post it here. There is a thread on the article railgun posted already.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

I saw this when it aired and I thought it was certainly rousing if not entirely accurate. Some of the inaccuracies are purely factual:

"4th in exports" - We're actually #2 in exports behind China and ahead of Germany. The video is from 2012 and the series is set a year or two in the past but this would have been incorrect for 2010 or 2011 as well (we were #3, behind Germany). The only way the statement is true is if you count all of the exports of EU member nations combined.

Then there is the bit about education that is particularly meh:

"7th in literacy, 27th in math, 22nd in science"

Setting aside the shortcomings of these comparisons, for as long as they have been done (basically since the 60's), we've never been #1 in any category. In fact, year after year we're typically near or even at the bottom. If this is the measure of greatness, when were we ever the greatest? If collectively, American students were never ranked at the top then the idea of returning to the top is completely moot as we've never been there.

Fortunately, our economy didn't seem to notice for all those years.

"Sure used to be. We stood up for what is right. We fought for moral reasons. We passed laws, struck down laws for moral reasons."

Could this be any less specific? It's like cold reading. Most of the time, both sides of any moral issue claim moral supremacy, otherwise what would the fight be over? Again, what is this period of greatness he's talking about?

So I guess my biggest problem with this monologue is that it's trading one propaganda meme for another. The gist basically being that America was exceptional at an arbitrary point in the past and that if we can just revert to that point in time, we'll be exceptional again.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

I said earlier that I have no problem with people learning it for research, or heck even as a hobby. But it doesn't need to be a mass taught tool to the masses to function in society. This will be the last I will say on this though. Sorry for carrying the topic offtopic.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   
*Qumulys wanders into thread, reads first page. Grabs mop and towels to tidy up the dripping testosterone.

Great OP and I thank mister.old.school (that kind of post/star ratio shows how important your threads are I think, wonderful read and right on point).
However, over the years I've noticed members getting rubbed out whilst trying to rub one out over their unbridled patriotism. So I'm going to tread carefully.

(I've deleted this next paragraph three times now before I hit post, just couldn't express my feelings in a way I felt comfortable or happy with. Sorry)

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I honestly forgot the original topic of this thread around page 6. How quickly it degraded into another anti-America hate fest. I will be the first to point out the problems in America. The list would be pages and pages long. But the blind hatred I see displayed by some is appalling. Every country has it's problems.

Australia. Don't even get me started on the treatment of the aboriginals.
A bit like the treatment of the native Americans.

UK. The only nation ever that has invaded every other sovereign nation on the planet.
Of course if an empire is around long enough they will inevitably try and rule the world...

Canada. Your oil shale fields are an ecological disaster.
But if it keeps you independent from a nation that hates you I say do it.

I could go on but that's just what I could just come up with off the top of my head in the spur of the moment. Most of which I have learned from you fine people here at ATS. Not from my piss poor education. I will NOT apologize for something my ancestors did or something my government is currently doing.

I will agree 100% that the empire known as America is falling. She is not exceptional anymore, she was once. But what we are witnessing now is a decadent society clawing like a wild animal to stay alive. It's the end of the roman era all over again. We sit around being fed grapes while watching it all burn down around us. Powerless...

A great documentary about this topic here.

ETA. Don't mind the name of the documentary. It's not about the religious 4 horseman.
edit on 23-2-2015 by JAY1980 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm
a reply to: mister.old.school

I absolutely hate that term. There isn't a more pompous, arrogant, egocentric or just plain conceited term possible for anyone could use. The fact that it's also not true is an embarrassment. Neocons love using it too and it makes me sick when I hear it. It's like some people have never heard of the word humility or humbleness.

American Exceptionalism = Patriotic Masturbation

Saved me typing out a post, well said!

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 10:46 PM
link   
America

Is a 500 dollar whore who you think is safe because you paid a lot

Turns out you were drugged, robbed and now you are diseased

That's America

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kryties

originally posted by: infinityorder

The 20th century is lucky American leadership broke the cycle Europe started and would have continued without our intervention.

I'm sure all those countries that America has interfered with politically and secretly would disagree. I am sure all those countries America has declared war on in the last 100 years would disagree.

I am damn sure Iraq disagrees.

I'm not denying there are problems here in America. Big ones. I'm an Independent, there are few people in this country more aware of our issues than we Independents are. Two party nonsense and endless bickering has gotten us into this mess.

That being said. Lets be real here.

If America had not stopped Germany, you people in Europe would be speaking German today. Praising your Furor.
If America had not stopped Japan, you people in the Pacific would most likely all be speaking Japanese by now. Even China.

Yes, it's VERY true that we didn't want to be involved. But sometimes you have to. There are still people in this country who want America to go back to Isolationism, and it's a movement that's gaining steam. I'm one of them. Rand Paul is the cheerleader for it. But I am willing to bet money that when that happens, the world will delve into another war. And then someone will need to awaken the sleeping giant again.

Yes, there have been some miscalculations. Vietnam, Iraq, and now ISIS.

But you show me a country with a perfect track record, I'll show you a real life unicorn. They're both just as imaginary.

And I know quite a few countries that are more full of themselves than America. England comes to mind first. France too. Russia is pretty pompous.

This is NOT an American only phenomenon. It's a HUMAN thing. We're a boastful, self centered race. It is what it is.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: poncho1982

If America had not stopped Germany, you people in Europe would be speaking German today. Praising your Furor.

Totally deluded.

I think you meant Fuhrer not Furor.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

Totally deluded.

Yep. LOL

Isn't it great that it's such a little used term that spell check didn't even offer it as an option?

But not deluded.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: poncho1982

Totally deluded.

Yep. LOL

Isn't it great that it's such a little used term that spell check didn't even offer it as an option?

But not deluded.

Not deluded?

At it's height the U.S. had 1.9 million troops in The European Theatre during WW II

At it's height The Soviet Red Army had 34 million troops in the European Theatre during WW II

Who do you think had the greatest impact on The Nazi's being defeated in Europe ?

It was certainly not The U.S.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

I think us industry had the biggest impact on the war.

We could replace equipment at a rate the axis couldn't hope to outpace.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf

You need man power to operate the equipment.

Dived the Red Army strength by two thirds and still leaves over 11 million Soviets compared to 1.9 million Yanks.

It's all about numbers dear boy.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Your focused on one theater...

If the USA had not take care of Japan what do you think would have happened if Japan bit a chunk out of Russia.

I know you have an axe to grind bit your being disingenuous to minimize America to no impact.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Your focused on one theater...

If the USA had not take care of Japan what do you think would have happened if Japan bit a chunk out of Russia.

I know you have an axe to grind bit your being disingenuous to minimize America to no impact.

The reason i focused on Europe was because i was replying to this previous post below

If America had not stopped Germany, you people in Europe would be speaking German today. Praising your Furor

And let's keep to actual facts. Japan did not take a chunk out of The Soviet Union did it?

Do try keep up old boy.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Totally deluded.

Yep. LOL

But not deluded.

Not deluded?

At it's height the U.S. had 1.9 million troops in The European Theatre during WW II

At it's height The Soviet Red Army had 34 million troops in the European Theatre during WW II

Who do you think had the greatest impact on The Nazi's being defeated in Europe ?

It was certainly not The U.S.

You're right. We did nothing. Good call "old boy." SMDH at another hater.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Dived the Red Army strength by two thirds and still leaves over 11 million Soviets compared to 1.9 million Yanks.

Or maybe it's about QUALITY....old boy. But do keep trying...to minimize the US efforts in WWII.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: jaffo

Or maybe it's about QUALITY....old boy. But do keep trying...to minimize the US efforts in WWII.

No one is minimizing the U.S. efforts in Europe during WW II

What one is doing is denouncing the argument that it was The U.S. that won the war in Europe. In a nutshell........that's complete bollocks.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   

That being said. Lets be real here.

If America had not stopped Japan, you people in the Pacific would most likely all be speaking Japanese by now. Even China.

FFS sake not this BS argument.

America did not "stop" Germany.

A Alliance of USA/UK/Canada/Australia/New Zealand with Russian stopped Germany.

FFS learn some GD REAL history. the US didn't not bloody well fight alone in WW2 and it didn't even take the bulk of the losses or do the bulk of the fighting.

You were just a another member nation or cog in the alliance.

UK was fighting Germany and Japan, and holding its own long before the US got involved. It was a alliance that defeated the axis powers.

In fact this is EXACTLY why there is so much American hatred ! The fact you try and rewrite history!

Yes the USA played a important part. But it was no more important than the other major country's that fought for the allies!
edit on 24-2-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join