It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Potentially about to buy land with a Neolithic stone circle on it..

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I am interested in gathering more knowledge of the associated phenomena around ancient stone circles. Am about to make an offer on a piece of land which has the remains of a ruined circle on it in northern scotland.

Only one stone still stands, the rest have been unfortunately ruined by farmers.

It would be my intention to restore some of it, and protect the remaining stone.

Obviously, I am not going to give away my potentially new home by mentioning the site. But, should I be wary of buying a house with this close by on its land?

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I would consider it as living on a historical site that had meaning to the people who were once there. How big is the circle and the remaining stone?

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 11:19 PM
link   
a reply to: selfharmonise

I'm by no means an authority, but my guess is that you'd want to see if the site is listed on some registry that would lead to legal restrictions as might be encountered when purchasing a historic home.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 11:21 PM
link   

yea you never know could of been a calender or a sacrifice spot lol
good luck..............

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 11:21 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Yeah and if there's nothing listed don't say anything.

Build a shed around it or something.

Edit:

Also unless you are a professional and have a way of cataloging and taking thorough pictures...don't restore it.

You might deface it in a way that will make it lose historical details.
edit on 22-2-2015 by OrphanApology because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Site was listed as a scheduled monument in the 60s. It's a real shame as someone cracked the recumbent stone by place a fire on it. They think there may have been 12 stones, with a circle diameter of 75 ft. Most of the field has been cleared and the stones broken or used for building through the centuries. Evidence of burials have been picked up in the fields surrounding, with various cairns, etc.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 11:29 PM
link   
When I say restore, I mean improve its surrounding area as without some management it could be further damaged by encroaching trees.

I am very aware of the legislation around scheduled monuments, but am more nervous of potential paranormal events and phenomena...and those who may wish to use it ceremonially.

Anyone have any knowledge there?

a reply to: OrphanApology

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Kind of neat. Just don't be telling the government about it or you will not be able to dig at all on the property. They won't even let you put it back together and won't have anyone else come in and investigate it either. It will just sit there and get your temper up because nothing will get done.

When restoring it just say you are trying to build a stone circle replica, don't say there was one there before.

link   
Maybe camp out there for a night or two just to make sure you aren't going to end up shacking up with some angry 14th century Scotsman
Try before you buy or something

link   

Here's a Wikipedia on "Scheduled Monuments"

en.wikipedia.org...

Maybe you could find a legal wiki about it somewhere.

I live in Texas so obviously I'm not too keen on the U.K. legal mumbo.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Thanks.

Have already done the legal and commercial diligence behind buying it

The legal system here means that an offer on property is binding. You can't back out.

So before you get close to mentioning money, you have it all surveyed and checked legally.

My last bit of nervousness is around potential paranormal phenomena because I am a total wus!

edit on 22-2-2015 by selfharmonise because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 11:39 PM
link   

I can't find any in depth sites for anything paranormal regarding the stones. Most of them I found don't really have sources or even history.

I did find this old ATS topics though...maybe you'll find something in them?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Thanks. A stone like that has been found on the property. Reasonably similar to the one shown in the first thread you mention.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 12:16 AM
link   
There be gold in them there lands.

Get a metal detector and some shovels.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 01:47 AM
link   

What you do is this. You gather up your gumption and merely ignore the paranormal threat, as generally speaking an awful lot of what you hear about this that and the other is BUNKUM, and you start with a position of absolute fearlessness.

Then, you call in some help from people who know about this specific kind of archeological site, and get their take on how best to go about maintaining what remains of its intrinsic value. A beardy fellow in a bad pullover can usually be found at your local museum, or at a university campus. Many of those have both telephones, AND Facepages these days, so hunting them down for a comment is not as taxing as it might first appear. Also, if you really respect the place, and the ancestry and history of it, not to mention the cultural importance it may have for some, then you need to be aware that if there are groups looking to use the site (respectfully) for ritual (as long as no laws are being broken of course), that you might need to consider allowing that to go ahead.

If you can comfortably get to grips with that, then I do not see you having a problem with owning the land.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 04:26 AM
link   

I imagine that there are laws against doing anything with the stones, including restoration, unless permitted.

Ancient monuments in England and Wales are afforded special protection. In Scotland you can probably get away with sticking a wind farm on top of it!

Edit to add that your solicitor acting on your behalf in buying the land would be able to advise on monument legality.
edit on 23/2/2015 by paraphi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 05:55 AM
link   

I wouldn't worry about any unwanted paranormal events. The stone could well be placed on a ley line (energy centre) and could be useful for doing your own meditating/connecting to the gaia.

I'm from scotland, how far up north? Pm me if you don't wish to say on here

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 08:29 AM
link   
I can kind of take a guess at the property you're interested in, and I would say that's a lot of pounds to spend on something you're unsure of. The stone looks far away from the main house, you could likely ignore it. I find the tree located close by, at the property I'm thinking of, the stone of greater interest than the stone itself.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

Know which one you are talking about - lovely place. The one we may have is enclosed by trees. Good guess though - not too many miles out.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Maybe get in touch with past owners of the property and see if they had any weirdness in regard to the stone? A friend in the UK has said tome that the worst problem with owning a property like this is that once in awhile a group of young would be pagans would come to the site and leave a mess.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join