It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Remember Those Real Life Superheroes?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Hello ATS. I'm thinking about those real life superheroes in Seattle and I wonder what happened to them so I checked them out. So, I want to update myself and others about the real-life superhero movement in Seattle, Wa. led by a hero who goes by the name of Phoenix Jones with the support of his hero wife-Purple Reign. However, this movement known as the Global Alliance-expands the globe and includes chapters in New York, London, and Dubai. The latest info I found is a CNN article from 2013.

His decision to become a real-life caped crusader came after his car was broken into, and his young son was hurt by the shattered glass. He said: "I decided to actively fight crime and threw myself completely into it. After my experience I just felt there was so much apathy around and wanted to do something to make my community safer."

The 25 year old is not a policeman with a quirky dress sense, but one of the most prominent members of the real-life-superhero community, a movement of people who wear costumes inspired by comic book characters, trying to prevent crimes in their area.

Jones patrols Seattle's more troubled neighborhoods five nights a week with his group, the Rain City Superhero Movement. His wider network, The Alliance, has 34 members across the United States, London and Dubai.

My hat goes off to them. It's nice to see people actually doing something instead of merely talking and or complaining about things. I wish them success. What says ATS?

www.cnn.com...
edit on 22-2-2015 by lostbook because: word add

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 10:28 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Well there are rumors of a real life punisher organization

With superhero films more popular than ever, and movies like 'Kick-Ass' demonstrating that people don't need super powers to don a cape and fight crime (see our post from yesterday about a real-life Kick-Ass), we've seen a rise in real-life stories about wannabe heroes in costumes duking it out with criminals. The tales tend to be good for a chuckle (and maybe a twinge of fear for the safety of these wannabe crime fighters) but little else. We write them off as another case of life imitating art. What happens, though, when someone takes a comic book character and emulates them in a negative way? We haven't had our first case of a person imitating a super-villain, but if Bleeding Cool's recent story about a group of Milwaukee police officers emulating the tactics of Marvel Comics' 'The Punisher' is any indication, that could be right around the corner.

Details of the alleged secret organization within the Milwaukee PD have emerged with the release of new documents in Frank Jude Jr.'s federal civil rights lawsuit against the city. Jude claims he was severely beaten, stripped, called racial slurs and threatened with a knife and a gun by members of the group after an officer's badge went missing at an off-duty gathering.

Shortly after that event (three officers were tried and acquitted on criminal charges. Four others were added to the civil case and lost) Milwaukee PD Captain James Galezewski started an investigation that found evidence of what he classified as a "gang" of officers operating inside the larger force who called themselves "The Punishers" and donned black caps and gloves with skull symbols on them as they went about their business.

As anyone who follows comics knows, the officers are basically emulating The Punisher -- the popular Marvel Comics anti-hero who works as a vigilante dealing out his own brand of justice to criminals because he feels the law doesn't work in the way it's supposed to. In the comics, Frank Castle is a former soldier who goes on a mission of vengeance after his family is murdered in retaliation for witnessing a mob hit. He dons an all black uniform with a giant skull on the chest, rechristens himself 'The Punisher' and exacts his revenge against the underworld in incredibly violent fashion. Marvel has spun the character off into films (Dolph Lundgren, Thomas Jane and Ray Stevenson have all played the character) and videogames – increasing his popularity.

Gazlewski writes in his 2007 report that "this is a group of rogue officers within our agency who I would characterize as brutal and abusive. At least some of the officers involved in the Jude case were associated with this group, although there is reason to believe the membership extended beyond those who were convicted in the case." The officer goes on to add that several of the officers involved had 'Punisher' skull stickers on their cars, lockers and memo books. One alleged member, Andrew Spengler, had a skull sticker and the number seven on his pick up truck. Another had a Punisher skull tattoo and had tried to purchase an assault rifle similar to the one used by the comic character. Both of these men were convicted in the civil trial.

news.moviefone.com...

Also Chris Kyle and his buddies called themselves the Punishers

We called ourselves the Punishers.
For those of you who are not familiar with the character, the Punisher debuted in a Marvel comic book series in the 1970s. He’s a real bad-**** who rights wrongs, delivering vigilante justice. A movie by the same name had just come out; the Punisher wore a shirt with a stylized white skull.
Our comms guy suggested it before the deployment. We all thought what the Punisher did was cool: He righted wrongs. He killed bad guys. He made wrongdoers fear him.
That’s what we were all about. So we adapted his symbol— a skull— and made it our own, with some modifications. We spray-painted it on our Hummers and body armor, and our helmets and all our guns. And we spray-painted it on every building or wall we could. We wanted people to know, We’re here and we want to ****** with you.
It was our version of psyops.
You see us? We’re the people kicking your ******. Fear us. Because we will kill you, mother*******.
You are bad. We are badder. We are bad-****.

For those of you that don't know who is the Punisher

edit on 22-2-2015 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

Whoa. Thanks for that info...

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 10:43 PM
link   

To my mind, the vigilante cops in the article you quoted, seemed to have more in common with the Lethal Enforcer type of police person, than they ever do with Mr Frank "The Punisher" Castle. For one thing, these gents have no legitimate angst. They are cops. They see nasty things. They signed up to do so, and to lose comrades in the battle for justice. They have no legitimate reason to be pissed enough at anyone, to go around abusing them and breaking the law by violating citizens rights.

Frank Castle on the other hand, as far as I am concerned, had he been a real life person, would have had every right to tear the face off of the criminal scum who killed his family, and to do so continuously as a public service to the rest of us, for all time. Personally speaking the only thing more outright badass than The Punisher, would be the concept of The Punisher with Wolverines healing factor and claws. The police officers who have been harassing people and making an ass of themselves however? Pathetic!

Also, Punisher movies not containing Thomas Jane ought to be banned.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 10:43 PM
link   
There's a guy that dresses up like a super hero in Michigan somewhere. I don't know what he calls himself or what city he's in; though.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 10:45 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

My apologies this is the trailer for the Thomas Jane Punisher

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Nicely done!

Sorry to be a bugger about it but War Zone was AWFUL, and it made no sense to do a restart so soon after TJ did such a good job in the 2004 movie.

On topic now....

The thing about comic book heros (as opposed to superheroes who have to have super powers of some sort , whether inherent to themselves like Clark Kent, or hyper tech equipment they carry which renders them very powerful, like Tony Stark) is that they are endearing to people, not just kids, but people in general, because they remind us what we should be, all of us, inside where it counts. Virtuous, moral, compassionate, and decent, but dangerous to any who should choose a dark path, and choose to make trouble for good people while upon it!

They show us the uncomplicated version of the instinct to do right, and I think that for the most part, the idea of a group of real life costumed heroes is quite interesting, given the times we are living in. However, in the real world, in order to be remotely effective, the guys in the costumes might want to consider going all black, high stealth, low weight, high armour strength for their next get up.

Nothing says "screw crime" like a phantom right hook to the jawbone.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I remember watching one of those videos of Jones. Apparently it's completely legal to fight here if both parties agree to it. The cops just watched Jones and some other guy go at it. Jones won.

Language and violence warning. Also filmed with potato.

I think these guys are pretty douchey personally, but I suppose it's good to try and help.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
I remember watching one of those videos of Jones. Apparently it's completely legal to fight here if both parties agree to it. The cops just watched Jones and some other guy go at it. Jones won.

I think these guys are pretty douchey personally, but I suppose it's good to try and help.

Thx, Domo.

I wanted to see Phoenix Jones fight that other guy to shut him up.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook

originally posted by: Domo1

Thx, Domo.

I wanted to see Phoenix Jones fight that other guy to shut him up.

I am not one for cops and tazing, but this guys testosterone was out of control! What is it with guys and fighting? The machismo! Geez! Then his buddy with all the "Cheep shot bro!" At that point, I could care less if it was a cheap shot, just taze his butt and shut him up too. LOL

top topics

join