It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christian publisher drops writer's book because he came out to Time Magazine as gay

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 08:09 PM
link   
An Evangelical writer has had his latest book turned down after it was revealed he was gay.

Brandan Robertson had signed a deal last year with Destiny Image to publish his book, Nomad: Not-So-Religious Thoughts On Faith, Doubt, And The Journey In Between.

In January Robertson appeared in a TIME magazine article – Inside The Evangelical Fight Over Gay Marriage – in which he identified himself as a homosexual.

Last week when he turned in his manuscript, he quickly received a reply from his publisher who had 'concerns' about his 'media attention'.

He alleges that he was then asked to sign a statement that he does 'not condone, encourage, or accept the homosexual lifestyle'.

Robertson, who is also a spokesperson for Evangelicals for Marriage Equality, refused to sign the statement, and days later he was contacted by the publisher again and told that his book had been dropped.

According to Robertson, the publishers were concern that Christian retailers wouldn’t buy the book because of his public advocacy for gay and lesbian inclusion in Christian communities.

Destiny Image had previously agreed to publish the book last year, with no advance payment, after Robertson submitted a proposal while still a student at the conservative Moody Bible Institute in Chicago.

The book, described as a collection of essays on his personal spiritual journey from a fundamentalist to a progressive evangelical, makes only a glancing reference to homosexuality.

If the subject of homosexuality itself comes up in the book, the publishers cannot say this is a new idea to them. They had to know it was in the book, possibly in the synopsis. What surprises me, and it probably shouldn't, is this constantly "Christian attitude" I keep hearing about, and yes, even seeing. I'm Christian, and this shames me. I truly wish I were a publisher because I would publish his book for free on the condition that we make a seal for a second. Yes, the publisher had the right to refuse the book, but to claim to be Christian, then act in a very "un-Christ-like way", is shameful at best! It truly makes the rest of us look bad!

edit on 2/22/2015 by Anyafaj because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj

He came out as a gay marriage advocate. The publisher has to protect their bottom line. If they are concerned about what it will do to their image as a publishing house to their clientele to continue to carry this book are they under any pressure to continue to publish it?

Or look at it this way, you are a caterer and agree to cater an event that you later find out is an event counter to the type of event you would want to have your name as a caterer associated with. Say the politician you agreed to cater for was discovered to be embroiled in a scandal of major proportions. Are you under any obligation to carry through even though you fear it might damage your reputation as a business caterer?

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Well, he could probably find another publisher.

The right to be published? No such thing.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 08:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

He came out as a gay marriage advocate. The publisher has to protect their bottom line. If they are concerned about what it will do to their image as a publishing house to their clientele to continue to carry this book are they under any pressure to continue to publish it?

Or look at it this way, you are a caterer and agree to cater an event that you later find out is an event counter to the type of event you would want to have your name as a caterer associated with. Say the politician you agreed to cater for was discovered to be embroiled in a scandal of major proportions. Are you under any obligation to carry through even though you fear it might damage your reputation as a business caterer?

As I said, I completely understand that they have the right to say no. But to make him sign an agreement that he's not gay, give me a break. They claim they didn't do that, he said they did. Who to believe really.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 08:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

Well, he could probably find another publisher.

The right to be published? No such thing.

He could also self publish on Kindle, or some other type of device. That's another option available to him.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Here's his TIME piece where he supposedly came out as gay. You need subscriber access to read, which I do not have. If someone has it, and is willing to read and post valid quotes, it would be greatly appreciated.

TIME

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 08:39 PM
link   
He'll be a pseudo-martyr for the moderate Christian community and the LGBT community...

His (future) sales just went through the metaphorical roof.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Haters gonna hate.

Their image is based on discrimination and they can't risk looking "progressive". If this were the 50's and they found out he had a black wife, they would have done the same thing.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 09:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cuervo

Haters gonna hate.

Their image is based on discrimination and they can't risk looking "progressive". If this were the 50's and they found out he had a black wife, they would have done the same thing.

I can agree with that.

2nd

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   

That's not what was said. The "gay lifestyle" is different IMO from being gay.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 09:12 PM
link   

In other words, you think that God was a discriminatory hater and so was Jesus because neither one of them approved of sexual immorality of any kind.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 09:19 PM
link   

In other words, you think that God was a discriminatory hater and so was Jesus because neither one of them approved of sexual immorality of any kind.

I was talking about the publisher, not God or Jesus. Please don't put words in my mouth.

2nd

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I wonder how many in the Lbgt community will buy this book just to support him. I want to and I detest reading that material.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Are you saying that none of the other authors ever had premarital sex or are divorcees? None of them have ever looked at the neighbor's wife? Is there an example of them dropping a divorced author who remarried?

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 09:25 PM
link   

He'll be a pseudo-martyr for the moderate Christian community and the LGBT community...

His (future) sales just went through the metaphorical roof.

Good. Their loss and his gain.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

That's not what was said. The "gay lifestyle" is different IMO from being gay.

The difference between heterosexuality and the heterosexual lifestyle is what?

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 09:33 PM
link   

The publisher is following the teachings of God and then Christ. If you think the publishers are being hateful and discriminatory, then you have to look at the source from which they derived their beliefs. In this case, it was straight from the horse's mouth.

So you are upset with the publisher for not compromising their beliefs, but you love God and Christ even though you choose not to follow their teachings and judge those of us who do?

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 09:33 PM
link   

What's a gay lifestyle?

How does is differ from being gay?

How do you know that's not what was said if the two are only different in your opinion?
What if their opinion is different and that's exactly what was said?

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   
In the above article, it DOES state he identified as gay. Here's another article that states as much.

Evangelical author identifies as gay and preaches acceptance of gay marriage.

A recent TIME online article featured images of two prominent young leaders who self-identify as both “evangelical” and gay. Their mission: to expand the evangelical acceptance of same-sex marriage. Brandon Robertson is co-founder of Evangelicals for Marriage Equality, and Matthew Vines is founder of the Reformation Project and author of "God and the Gay Christian," a book that argues that the Bible accepts loving, committed same-sex unions.

They’re among the proof, said TIME, that acceptance of same-sex marriage among evangelicals is now inevitable. Consider this closing quote from a megachurch pastor: “Every positive reforming movement in church history is first labeled heresy . . . Evangelicalism is way behind on this. We have a debt to pay.” That’s a strange statement considering the many so-called “reform movements” that were first labeled heresy and still are.

And yet, the article still got me thinking: Does embracing same-sex marriage and homosexual conduct push one out of the evangelical fold? Does the shift on these issues point to larger problems within the historic movement known as evangelicalism?

Personally I could care less with what he does or doesn't do in his private life, but if that is how he wishes to identify, he at least deserves that respect. So he's not just fighting for marriage equality, he lives it.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Which Horse's mouth?

If I remember correctly, there is four specific Horses?

Must be Pestilence...

Intolerance is definitely some sort of Mental Sickness!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join