It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Phillip K Dick and a few dreams of mine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Phillip K Dick talks about communicating with others in the dream state, and the afterlife. I'm just now reading up on this guy and it's very unique. About 3 dreams in particular I've had after my dad passed correlates with some of his material. It's strange because I've never heard of anyone else talk about this until PKD.

I swear to you, one dream in particular matches very closely to the described video quote below. I was talking to my father but his voice was SO faint, felt SO far away, and I could feel the coldness in the communication. I even visualized where he was. It was something like a small thrown together out of rubble that was left over hospital, something of a receiving unit. There was a fence separating his room and the others. I had an aerial view of this, just over my father's room/unit.

It was an old block building that was semi in ruins and very cold, maybe there was snow on the ground? he was mustering all he had to say a few words to me. He seemed to be almost like he was waking up himself from a cold deep sleep, perhaps a bit confused but sharp enough to know it was his son he was talking to. It was as if I had woke him from this sleep. It was very faint, but seemed like a telephone call.

Has anyone else ever experienced this, and if so can you talk about it or give any more insight? I've never brought it up until now because I've never read anything that reminded me of this particular communication.

From Phillip K. Dick, the man who remembered the future. PKD, the man who remembered the future

"I only hear the voice of the spirit when I am falling asleep or waking up. I have to be very receptive to hear it. It’s extremely faint. It sounds as though it is coming from a million miles away."

From the video Phillip K. Dick, a day in the afterlife.

He has this notion of the afterlife in many of his novels you can say that the afterlife was kind of a deep freeze as if you'd been refrigerated stuck in a shelf in a mortuary couldn't move and yet you still had some slow moving thoughts and communicating with the rest of the world basically by telephone

edit on 22-2-2015 by Gumerk because: clarification

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 10:41 PM
link   
PKd is my fave writer. I've read quite a lot of him, and watched a few interviews and documentaries on his life. He's a particular guy, a very interesting man. A genius IMO. I've just finished reading A Scanner Darkly for the third time, and it really is an amazing book.
Dick had a sort of fixation with the afterlife, and it looks as if he kept on looking for God, for a meaning to life, and into the true nature of reality. Valis is good book to see what his take was on these and a couple of other matters.
He may have lost it in his last few years, but I'm not really sure, I think he was an extreme radical thinker, and he couldn't take reality for what it looked.

He described the Matrix, and always thought this life was sort of a virtual reality, we are fed with data, and from that data we receive we construct our reality. It's a bit hard to grasp his main ideas at first, but it's amazing when you start understanding what he's describing (At least for me, it took me a while to get into the Valis book, cause it kept talking about stuff I couldnt fully understand at first, but after rereading the text many times, I started seeing where this guy was coming from). He talked a lot about government surveillance, back in the 60's, when it wasn't such a big concern as it is today.

He had a few divine experiences, and dreams which he thought showed him how time had stopped a long time ago. I'm not sure if he had lost it, or he was the only guy able to look into what's going on behind the curtains of what we call real life. But I always like to keep an open mind, so his whole views and ideas amaze and intrigue me.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Gumerk

kind of reminds me of Ubik. Have you read that one at all or recently? There's an afterlife stasis they put people in where they can still communicate with the living. Kind of reminds me of what you described. That cold, distant, little bit foggy type of communication.

I myself have had experiences similar to what PKD describes in that one quote you posted. Always just before falling asleep or waking up. And you really have to be receptive, tune in to it. And its always very faint. If you keep at it and actually practice opening up, and declaring your intentions before sleeping you can probably get better results over time. You might be able to more clearly communicate with your father in your dream state or even better, lucid dreaming.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   

I can't say I've experienced that, but I'm very interested and would love to hear more. Do you remember what he said? The environment doesn't sound very pleasant, did that make you concerned with his well being?

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3n19m470

I can't say I've experienced that, but I'm very interested and would love to hear more. Do you remember what he said? The environment doesn't sound very pleasant, did that make you concerned with his well being?

I can't really remember what he said. It was so faint but it was communication none the less, I think I understood some of it in that dream state. That's a good question, I didn't seem overly alarmed or concerned when I awoke. When I was in the dream state I was a confused myself by what I was looking at. I couldn't really make out exactly what it was, but my gut told me it was some sort of hospital like receiving unit, that was somewhat in ruins and his particular unit was partitioned with some sort of fencing.

If my mind created this visual I don't know, but the things that PKD talked about stood out to me and I could recall those sensations from the communication. The deep cold, the feeling of being so far away, like in a deep freeze. Thing is, I didn't feel like he was in any danger, but I felt that he was confused himself about the surroundings. I feel like I would have felt dread and been super concerned had it been any trouble.

After this, about 2 more times I could hear him in this way and feel the sensations but I got no more visuals such as being directly above this location. He was having to muster every bit of his energy to say a few words to me. Sadly I can't remember what he said in my waking state.

edit on 23-2-2015 by Gumerk because: clarification

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: CallmeRaskolnikov

kind of reminds me of Ubik. Have you read that one at all or recently? There's an afterlife stasis they put people in where they can still communicate with the living. Kind of reminds me of what you described. That cold, distant, little bit foggy type of communication.

I myself have had experiences similar to what PKD describes in that one quote you posted. Always just before falling asleep or waking up. And you really have to be receptive, tune in to it. And its always very faint. If you keep at it and actually practice opening up, and declaring your intentions before sleeping you can probably get better results over time. You might be able to more clearly communicate with your father in your dream state or even better, lucid dreaming.

No, I haven't read that one, but what you described in spot on. Cold, distant, and foggy communication. Thank you, I believe I will try that in stating my intentions. I've had very lucid dreams for years now and could benefit from any direction I could cast in them.

top topics

join