It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sobering New Evidence: at Least Half of Americans are Broke

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
We're $18,000,000,000,000.00 in Debt, as a nation....$20 TRILLION in another year or two. Who is really surprised?
I don't hate Obama...but, I DO blame him.

Lol and that's what is wrong with the pathetic American populace! They are too f'$&ng nice! We need to hate our government and leaders and rise up and do something about it! Hate and violence are the only options we have left! We have exhausted our elective process giving leader after leader a second chance to right this ship of tyranny and corruption and nothing changes! I HATE Obama, I hate Pelosi, Bush, Palin, Etc! We need to clean house and it can start with 4 year term limits for EVERYONE! After 4 years you are done! New blood new change till we find leaders that can lead and represent the American people!

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Yeah, or a domain name a PC, some basic programming skills and a printer and phone.

You can make up to 40 G a year baking in your house, micro farming can bring a few G a month with just a green house...

Apple was started in a garage, Facebook in a dorm room....

Simply not true man, I mean it's nice, start with Millions, sounds great... but no someone does it from a bedroom or garage everyday.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: criticalhit

They all had investors.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

Its not that easy to start a business man you need an angel investor or assets to leverage against a bank loan.

How many people do you think really know angel investors?

I will say this though...

You illustrate another great point as to why every one just runs to jobs instead of raising the funds

Angel Investor?

Just saw a kid raise 8 Million bucks on Kick Starter for a card game called "Exploding Cats" this week......

Also the source of the funding for that little Occulous rift thing (also built in a bedroom) Facebook gave that 21 yr old what? 2.2 Billion for it?

Science majors don't need jobs, just sayin.....

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 06:40 PM
link   

You need money to cover the basics and to buy the liitle supplies you need.

Dont lie to yourself.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 07:27 PM
link   

You need money to cover the basics and to buy the liitle supplies you need.

Dont lie to yourself.

I'm not.

I just spent the last 6 years after a divorce while paying a G a month in Child support to do it myself and let me tell you, it's freaking tough, 70,000 in software, PC's going outdated for what I do before I can even finish... blah, Printer Ink sometimes became an obstacle that took 2 months, with every computer software purchase or machine I was 2 weeks late on my rent, dodging eviction notices, got sick a couple of times because i ate like I was in college mmmm ramen...

Yeah I know all about supplies, so did the nurse asking me at the Plasma donation center when I explained I was there for google ads cash...

But I like my Lincoln Town Car Now...

And there ain't nuthin round my parts paying more than what it takes to buy a used Bicycle lol

But in retrospect, TRUTH, I suffered through the whole thing, not because of all that, looking back in reality it was NO tougher than going to College except for the 100 G it cost me... I actually own stuff that does something and there are no resumes to be filled out or money owed now that it's basically over and it didn't take more time really, we all know school (which i finished 20 years earlier btw) juices that extra year out of you and leaves you with virtually nothing.

I lived in a trailer, through winters that can hit -20 on a bad day, around scum bags lol, for real... crapping that someone would rob all this junk one day so I hardly left the house, feeding 2 large dogs just to be sure...

Yeah, I know, but it's still a better exhaustion of my time than University and a salary cap ever was.

And yeah, Americas current system makes it tougher every day

And when over, again, it wasn't that bad, not nearly as bad as never escaping slavery would have been.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   

What did you do for work to pay your rent while you were doing all this?

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Yea, you must add or something. Half your reasoning backs what I say, the other half doesn't, but what's certain is you are really confident in your reasoning, and it's not taking a critical analysis. There's too many holes to point out, you'll just keep spouting out points with more holes in it. No thanks.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 08:33 PM
link   
In a nutshell:

Three men sitting at a table, a CEO, a middle class worker, and an unemployed guy. On the table is a plate with twelve cookies. The CEO grabs eleven of the cookies, then tells the middle class worker the unemployed guy is going to take his cookie. The CEO walks calmly away while the middle class guy and the unemployed guy fight over the last cookie...

Distraction, anyone?

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Tell'em Xuenchen!

They are now pushing 8 year super sub primed car loans. I groaned and laughed at the same time!

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: cenpuppie
a reply to: xuenchen

Tell'em Xuenchen!

They are now pushing 8 year super sub primed car loans. I groaned and laughed at the same time!

Its almost as bad the debt they are loading students up with.

I'm currently trying to talk my sister in CC so she can save herself 50k.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

I hope you get at least an applause for that post.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Thank you! I consider that applause enough. :-)

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 11:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: AlaskanDadState of Working America reported that almost half of black children under the age of six are living in poverty.

source

I dont mean to demine the situation but what does skin color have to do with it? Do they do seperate studies on black and white kids? Or is it only news worthy when black kids are affected? Im sorry but when you bring color into it it becomes more of a race issue then anything else.
edit on 23-2-2015 by JourneymanWelder because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 01:17 AM
link   
a reply to: AlaskanDad

Maybe this is why US government is pushing for world war 3

They know they made the country broke and tere will be hell to pay
edit on 24-2-2015 by DanielJacksonKree because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Foderalover

It sucks for me because my income tax was 11,200, so I had to pay a grand a month for almost a year, ouch! Be glad you pay in social security if you do because I don't, be glad if you get money back for income taxes, hell, be glad you have a job, I am even though Im broke. I used to think that a over grand a week would be amazing, its not. I kinda forgot in my post that I take good vacations, so I guess that's why Im broke. Then again I took good vacations when I made 13 an hour
so nothing is different in my life exceot I get a big fat check and then have to sit down and pay bills then its gone.

So you ran up your credit cards, live on the beach, and take expensive vacations.

Did you ever stop to think that maybe you're broke because you're funding a lifestyle you can't afford? 70k a year can get by anywhere with something to save, even in San Francisco which is the highest cost of living area in the country that's still middle class for a single person. Provided you're living somewhat modestly.
edit on 24-2-2015 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: criticalhitHonestly and I mean this politely... All of it

These are our degrees

Of the 1,716,000 bachelor's degrees conferred in 2010–11, the greatest numbers of degrees were conferred in the fields of business (365,000), social sciences and history (177,000), health professions and related programs (143,000), education (104,000), and psychology (101,000). At the master's degree level, the greatest numbers of degrees were conferred in the fields of business (187,000) and education (185,000). At the doctor's degree level, the greatest numbers of degrees were conferred in the fields of health professions and related programs (60,200), legal professions and studies (44,900), education (9,600), engineering (8,400), biological and biomedical sciences (7,700), psychology (5,900), and physical sciences and science technologies (5,300).

Know why? It's because business degrees are do nothing degrees. Have you ever looked at their course requirements? They have no logic courses, the lowest math requirements of any degree, and few writing courses. Their hardest course is probably teaching someone the basics of Excel.

That said, I disagree with you about the computer related degrees. In many areas of the country there is zero demand for those skills, I happen to live in one of those areas. I'm not the greatest programmer in the world but I know several languages, and I know how to write code. I can make apps, websites, games, and anything else. I can program and build databases. I can do web design/development. I can do other stuff. Know what the problem with all of that stuff is? It can all be done remotely by someone in China or India or Africa for a fraction of what I have to charge in the US just to make rent money with nothing extra.

If you can get a tech job in the US that wants your physical presence, there is great money in it... but that's not most jobs. Most involve working remotely and those can't be done by Americans because the wages are too low.
edit on 24-2-2015 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Work with me here.

Okay! No problem.

We indigos are nice that way - everyone gets a second chance.
(Plus, I've read lots of your posts and threads, and I have decided you are an okay guy - just so you know. That I know. And now you know that I know!)

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   
They can take the numbers in my bank account, but they can't take my sense of humor.

Oh wait, I just checked my bank account. I guess they can take my sense of humor. Never mind, moving on...

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   

a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Half of America is choosing to be broke, there's jobs if you want to work.

This is just pure ignorance. 100 million people just dont want to work right?

God thats not smart, not smart at all.

Um ---- *I* did NOT WRITE THAT first sentence. I was responding to the person who did.
I was arguing against it. There are NOT sustaining jobs for some of us.
edit on 2/24/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join