It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sobering New Evidence: at Least Half of Americans are Broke

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 01:57 AM
link   
I posted nearly the same information in a thread called, "Almost Half of US Households Exhaust Their Salaries"

My Thread

Posted in the "Social Issues and Civil Unrest" Forum

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 02:19 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen Heck yes! We are paid a pittance, so we go become indentured servants with all this senseless debt! The best way we can stick it to the Man is to reject materialism, and all the monthly payments and credit scores that it entails.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 02:39 AM
link   
a reply to: AlaskanDad

I can attest to this.

More than half of the people I work with are broke.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

You have to be wrong. For the sake of the world.

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
[...] the average family unit is much more worried about keeping a roof over their heads,paying the bills,feeding the kids and keeping a level of decent lifestyle for the family

Yet their ignorance and passiveness is the cause for so much sorrow.

Something’s got to give!

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

It sucks for me because my income tax was 11,200, so I had to pay a grand a month for almost a year, ouch! Be glad you pay in social security if you do because I don't, be glad if you get money back for income taxes, hell, be glad you have a job, I am even though Im broke. I used to think that a over grand a week would be amazing, its not. I kinda forgot in my post that I take good vacations, so I guess that's why Im broke. Then again I took good vacations when I made 13 an hour so nothing is different in my life exceot I get a big fat check and then have to sit down and pay bills then its gone.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   
It's all lies to keep hopes up (your president sells it's people hope), and wish for the best, while only the current (rogue) establishment gain more power.

Here's a fun fact, more then half the human species is broke or have no money living in tribes off earth land.

Poor America.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

You said in part:

"I'm just waiting for the thundering herd of "it's all their own fault" talking heads to arrive."

You do understand that one stat is not valid unless you match it with another stat that may show a reason for the former?
As for the poverty of black children, yes, it is out of proportion. So we must ask why? The counter stat shows us the terrific increase of unwed black mothers popping out babies is from sheer ignorance and for the reason of getting a bigger welfare check. That last stat was right about 78 per cent of them. It is an easy choice to game the system.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: criticalhit

Which part do you think isn't true? You don't say. We do have too many people graduating with the same degrees that have limited availability. It's the same situation as in Inida, only for different career paths. It devalues the degrees. I know for a fact that there are no lack of IT individuals within the US. I've talked to IT managers who tell me they go through countless applications for the same job here. You have to stick out, and getting that piece of paper isn't it. Now, hiring 3rd world country people wouldn't come down to not finding qualified applicants in the US, but taking the job for a fraction of the cost. I'm pretty sure you know this to be true.
edit on 23-2-2015 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Its an achievable goal but first thing first is we need to start accepting that we can all get along and stop seeing it as impossible.
Careful, just over the weekend you were dissing the "Indigo children" who have been saying that all along.

As for the topic - and your suggestion - that people go to work "for free" - as long as they are guaranteed security, home, food, clothing, and safety, I'm fine with it. I volunteer my time anyway.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: hammanderr

Half of America is choosing to be broke, there's jobs if you want to work.

Really? I'm over 55, with an advanced education, and I can't even get a call from Taco Bell or ALDI foods when I put in applications - NO ONE is hiring older workers. I have extensive experience in office admin, customer service, non-profit, and education - I am bilingual, I am computer literate. Since 2008 when I left my job to help care for my elderly dad, who has now passed, I have NOT been able to find a job.

Not via networking, or job applications, or anything.

Therefore - my student loans will remain unpaid - and IT'S NOT MY FAULT.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Foderalover

I live in a small apartment on the beach , its cheap

What "beach", please?

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Half of America is choosing to be broke, there's jobs if you want to work.

This is just pure ignorance. 100 million people just dont want to work right?

God thats not smart, not smart at all.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

Its an achievable goal but first thing first is we need to start accepting that we can all get along and stop seeing it as impossible.
Careful, just over the weekend you were dissing the "Indigo children" who have been saying that all along.

As for the topic - and your suggestion - that people go to work "for free" - as long as they are guaranteed security, home, food, clothing, and safety, I'm fine with it. I volunteer my time anyway.

My comment in that thread was sarcastic thats probably my fault for not making it more obvious.

I'm actively trying to be less sarcastic as i don't like that i make comments like that but once in a while i get in a mood. Work with me here.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese

Which part do you think isn't true? You don't say. We do have too many people graduating with the same degrees that have limited availability. It's the same situation as in Inida, only for different career paths. It devalues the degrees. I know for a fact that there are no lack of IT individuals within the US. I've talked to IT managers who tell me they go through countless applications for the same job here. You have to stick out, and getting that piece of paper isn't it. Now, hiring 3rd world country people wouldn't come down to not finding qualified applicants in the US, but taking the job for a fraction of the cost. I'm pretty sure you know this to be true.

Honestly and I mean this politely... All of it

These are our degrees

Of the 1,716,000 bachelor's degrees conferred in 2010–11, the greatest numbers of degrees were conferred in the fields of business (365,000), social sciences and history (177,000), health professions and related programs (143,000), education (104,000), and psychology (101,000). At the master's degree level, the greatest numbers of degrees were conferred in the fields of business (187,000) and education (185,000). At the doctor's degree level, the greatest numbers of degrees were conferred in the fields of health professions and related programs (60,200), legal professions and studies (44,900), education (9,600), engineering (8,400), biological and biomedical sciences (7,700), psychology (5,900), and physical sciences and science technologies (5,300).

Now look at that Computers don't even rank at bachelors level????? WTF But 365,000 people with Business management degrees? What the hell do you do with an undergrad degree in that run a shoe store or a Mc Donalds?

Check this out:

26 nations: The number of industrialized nations whose high school students performed better than U.S. students in math in 2012.
19 nations: The number of industrialized nations whose high school students performed better than U.S. students in science in 2012.
In 2008, 4 percent of U.S. bachelor’s degrees were awarded in engineering, compared with 31 percent in China.
In 2008, 31 percent of U.S. bachelor’s degrees were awarded in science and engineering fields, compared with 61 percent in Japan and 51 percent in China.

Where is our abundance of anything, I'm not at all being a jerk but we don't even remotely, not remotely have enough people who can even handle algebra, we are at 26% of HS students passing Algebra... Algebra, even in fields where you don't "need" it per say it's a marker of logic skills... nearly 75% of our people in business of any form don't have the basic logic skills of 12 year old Vietnamese kid...

No offense your lost, I wasn't kidding when I said in various programming language (and this is LITERAL) because i'm in the field there are 100 jobs available for every American applicant

Bill Gates Came forward with a statistic just a day or so ago....

www.forbes.com...[/ url]

China has used more Concrete in the last 3 years than the USA has in 100

You can't have an over abundance of Engineers and Architects etc, etc, you can only fail to Build the 3 Gorges damn, man made islands and cities... India is still emerging atm and China is there

Want to see what 36% Engineer degrees vs 3% looks like?

[url=http://www.pakwheels.com/forums/attachments/non-wheels-discussions/344203d1324543854-shanghai-china-1990-vs-2010-shanghai-then-now-1990-vs-2010.j pg]http://www.pakwheels.com/forums/attachments/non-wheels-discussions/344203d1324543854-shanghai-china-1990-vs-2010-shanghai-then-now-1990-vs-2010.jpg

That's crazy! that's Shanghi over 20 years...in the 4 since that picture the 2nd tallest building in the world can be added to to it now...

We have no abundance of anything that makes money... we have nearly 400,000 people getting degrees this year to be assistant mangers of places like walmart, nearly 200,000 social workers, Nurses, teachers, Psychologists nearly another 400,000

That's America, people running chain stores, people NOT minding their own effin business and psycho analyzing each other and a few wiping arses and babysitting along the way over a Million of our grads...

And i'm sorry but if you don't know squat you can't build or do squat

Give me a nation with "no jobs" with a Million Engineers a year and i'll give you a nation that can create 10 Million New jobs each year after

Give me a Nation with a Million Social Scientists and I'll give you a nation that can have 10 million arguments a year while continuing to free fall...

Sorry my friend, but "unemployment" by itself isn't a big deal, necessity is the mother of invention and no one likes to starve, people who can actually DO something are empowered to change their surroundings,, we are pathetic...

Think about it, from the top down... we have Hundreds and Hundreds of Thousands of "Managers" then Hundreds and Hundreds of Thousands of teachers and Social workers and Psychologists THEN 20,000 Computer scientists and Engineers

This is an American project:

400,000 people Manage it

200,000 people discuss if it's "okay"

200,000 people evaluate it's social impact

100,000 people determine it's environmental impact

100,000 people work on it's artistic presence

and... 20,000 people do the work

In China

100,000 people manage it

No one discusses it, 10,000 people tend to a Park built around it

1,000,000 engineers and computer scientists and architects make sure it happens in under 2 years

The proof... Tallest buildings in the world, 2 years in China, replace the World Trade Center 13 years NYC

Our work force is a BLIGHT

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Guy, you're all over the place. Order your thoughts a little clearer. At least half of your reasoning backed my stance, the other parts didn't. It's as if your strategy was to obfuscate by laying down more and more statistical bits.

I wasn't off on a single marker. The truth remains that IT applicants for each job can come within the US. You said this yourself with the hunderds of applicants for each position. That's a reality. It doesn't matter how many thousands graduate here vs India. It's too much in both countries. There are only so many positions.

Do you not know how to post a link correctly? Here's one that you might find interesting.

Link

Plenty of people with Bachelors degrees in the US! We do have problems with Math and Sciences. That's a failure which has been going on for a long while. It still doesn't change the fact that we have enough people to fill positions here, and that the real reason for outsourcing programming jobs is the cheaper wages. Not sure why you can't admit this? Maybe you have an issue being wrong? Might want to work on that.

Here's another link which backs a point I brought up, and I'll expand on that some more:

Too many Engineers in India

So there's far too many Engineers graduating each year in India, which brings down their value, and brings up the middle class. The rising middle class demands higher wages in the force of their being less valuable. This shifts focus from offsourcing to hiring elsewhere. That shows you it really was all about getting the task done for cheaper wages. What we'll see next is Africans and South Americans being exploited. They will be sold the same dream, and be used while their wages are relatively low in comparison.
edit on 23-2-2015 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese

Guy, you're all over the place. Order your thoughts a little clearer. At least half of your reasoning backed my stance, the other parts didn't. It's as if your strategy was to obfuscate by laying down more and more statistical bits.

I wasn't off on a single marker. The truth remains that IT applicants for each job can come within the US. You said this yourself with the hunderds of applicants for each position. That's a reality. It doesn't matter how many thousands graduate here vs India. It's too much in both countries. There are only so many positions.

Do you not know how to post a link correctly? Here's one that you might find interesting.

Link

Plenty of people with Bachelors degrees in the US! We do have problems with Math and Sciences. That's a failure which has been going on for a long while. It still doesn't change the fact that we have enough people to fill positions here, and that the real reason for outsourcing programming jobs is the cheaper wages. Not sure why you can't admit this? Maybe you have an issue being wrong? Might want to work on that.

Here's another link which backs a point I brought up, and I'll expand on that some more:

Too many Engineers in India

So there's far too many Engineers graduating each year in India, which brings down their value, and brings up the middle class. The rising middle class demands higher wages in the force of their being less valuable. This shifts focus from offsourcing to hiring elsewhere. That shows you it really was all about getting the task done for cheaper wages. What we'll see next is Africans and South Americans being exploited. They will be sold the same dream, and be used while their wages are relatively low in comparison.

I'm not obfuscating anything.

India is not a good example because they have not remotely finished the infra structure to employ those people, we absolutely have it and the Chinese do now and China was for all intents and purposes India Just 15 years ago.

1: Your reading it backwards and honestly that is usually the "Choice" of a person who wishes to maintain a false belief I said "there are 100 jobs available for every American applicant "

alone "there are 100 jobs available for every American applicant"

There are new programming languages invented every month and there is no one studying them, IN FACT even attending University is nearly impossible because the technology changes faster than the schools can adapt the best you can do is get "involved" post degree and learn them on your own

2: I understand I wrote fast and stats are stats but take the time to pay attention because numbers don't lie

Your missing very basic concepts as to "WHY" we can't compete and they are SIMPLE

When One nation puts out 400,000 Engineers as top degree earners and another puts out 400,000 general managers one will surpass the other regardless of job markets because WHEN the job market dries up, one group can innovate and DO something about it and the other is USELESS

A Business manager who can't find a job can't actually do a god damned thing, he can't invent his way forward, he can't design anything, he can't program a website or build a store or design a god damned thing, A person with an actual real world skill set can create Jobs for him to manage, he will actually inevitably "make" something anything that can be sold by sales people and labored on by laborers, by by themselves Sales people and laborers can't do squat.

I Used to listen to these same arguments your using about India in regards to China when I was in College 20 years ago.... LOOK, I don't have to type here, China is Building CITIES now, India will do the same. America isn't making squat and blaming cheap foreign labor is nothing but a cop out...

Why is it a cop out because like all Americans you see economics in terms of Jobs not real "Things" That's the "WHY" you live in a population of "Job seeking" morons... Read it again 400,000 "managers" 200,000 "social workers" that's a recipe for Joblessness, 100,000 "Artists" vs 20,000 Scientists and Engineers who can actually "do something"

You have to be joking, what the hell can a nation of Social workers and Managers actual get done?

Engineers CAN create jobs, Managers, Can't, social workers Can't... the unemployment is MEANINGLESS without a strong class of people that can INVENT stuff to make more jobs.

In 10 Years your going to be watching India emerge from this stage and they are going to rock our world just like China is and soar past us economically Just like China has and the reason for that is an Unemployed Engineer can Create a Job for himself and 10 other people when push comes to shove and the best a Psychologist can do is write a retarded self help book.

Jobs, Jobs, Jobs... EFF Jobs...

As the Dean of Harvard said in the Movie "The Social Network"

"Harvard students do not come to Harvard to learn how to get Jobs they come here to learn how to Create them"

Your not going to get the point until you rid yourself of a hopeless mentality of finding a Job, you and the rest of America, it's ridiculous, you have kids in Berkeley bankrupting their parents on social science degrees that then graduate and can't DO a god damned thing.

It DOES NOT MATTER THE CURRENT JOB SITUATION unless you are not building people who can DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT, if you Are it's meaningless, it's the difference between a HARD situation and an IMPOSSIBLE situation, it will be HARD for India to Employ all those engineers in the coming generation...duhr, of course it will be BUT among those people are people who CREATE jobs to unburden it over time... it CAN pan out. Hundreds of thousand s of... Artists and social workers and psychologists and managers and History majors and Dance instructors lol... can't do a damn thing about the situation. That's the "real"

Just stop towing the bs political lines preached about the economics and look at what is RAW, there is no possible place to employ a "labor force from" if your not putting out people who have the capacity to do things that require Labor

and lets break it down...

Your trapped in the woods, Armageddon happens, make this the WORST scenario possible society has collapsed and your starting over with 50 people in the Mountains....

Do the break down, America 25% are Business managers, 25% are Social workers and Psychologists, 25% Are Teachers, Nurses, 15% are artists and history Majors... the remaining 5% Are actually scientists and engineers...3 people and one of them is into Environment Science a glorified weather man.

Now China or India, 65% are scientists and Engineers... 33 of your 50 people have "practical abilities" vs 2 of them..

In 10 years which group will have well constructed homes, power, sanitation, defenses, infra structure, labor jobs... who will have become a Small town and who will die in the woods?

Use your head man..... Who survives the society of Engineers or Philosophers... certainly no one is starting the scenario with "paid jobs" but who will be able to create the world around them

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   
And do you know what is an UTTER joke?

Posting an article in regards to Economics written by a country who is in a downward spiral... India has too many Engineers ROFL, as read by 30 Million people working in fast food here Stateside

17 TRILLION Dollars in debt a base of useless jobs, hated by the planet a Police State with a growing sector in Inmate detention is Telling a wonderfully rising economy what it's doing wrong... The sheer bias and stupidity is astounding.

Shanghi has the population of the 8 largest cities in the US combined in 1990 it was a wasteland

I'm sure for the moment in 1990 they had "too many Engineers and Scientists too..."

So...... they built one of the coolest cities in the world, one most Americans would give a tit to live or work in vs Walmart lol, plenty o Jobs now eh?

Enjoy the court appointed social workers visiting your homes for minor legal infractions Americans, lord knows we are doing splendid creating a few hundred thousand more of those pricks every year....

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColCurious
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

You have to be wrong. For the sake of the world.

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
[...] the average family unit is much more worried about keeping a roof over their heads,paying the bills,feeding the kids and keeping a level of decent lifestyle for the family

Yet their ignorance and passiveness is the cause for so much sorrow.

Something’s got to give!

It wont give until people cannot feed their families in my belief...and hopefully we are a long ways off that happening,i am kind of in that category,i want the cogs to keep turning as i have to young children and i worry for them,but still i know that this path we are going down is incredibly destructive for our species and the world around us...change is most certainly needed i am just not sure how to effect that change and still have a functioning society

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Its not that easy to start a business man you need an angel investor or assets to leverage against a bank loan.

How many people do you think really know angel investors?

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Its not that easy to start a business man you need an angel investor or assets to leverage against a bank loan.

How many people do you think really know angel investors?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join