It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sobering New Evidence: at Least Half of Americans are Broke

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 10:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: greencmp
a reply to: IAMTAT

And if we count all of the liabilities it is more like $200 trillion.

It will not be possible for that debt to be paid.

Would it be possible though to give us our gold back? Maybe? Pretty please?

Because we might need it real soon...

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I make really good money or so I thought but I am broke. I make between 1200 and 1600 a week and I don't drink or do hard drugs and I don't really buy anything , I sold my new Tacoma to my sister and bought an older one because of work mileage and Im broke. I live in a small apartment on the beach , its cheap and my fridge is empty always.

Rent
car insurance
car tax
cable/wifi
obamacare
cellphone
car payment
credit cards
electricity
income tax
boat tax

This is the normal stuff that an average guy like me has to pay every month, Im broke. I sit home every night while my friends are out drinking, Im broke, it isn't right.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Foderalover

How much do your friends make?

Something is wrong there.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColCurious

Obama says:

"If you like your gold you can keep your gold"

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 10:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Foderalover

I had to get the calculator out.

On average, you are indicating that you make 72,800 per year and you are broke?

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Foderalover

I wish I was making that money I save and make 15$ an hour

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 10:40 PM
link   
It's easier to control the dumbed down and poor. They don't get in the way of an agenda. They don't rock the boat in business. They are easy to appease and are easy to indoctrinate. Same as it ever was. There will be a revolution in this country. It'll be when everyone is dirt poor. I might even go with a 60/40 split.

I don't care much for the system we have. It makes me ill to think of all the wasted talent because someone is too greedy to give them a break or a level playing field. Wall Street needs to die a horrible death. Greed needs to go away. I can get behind that cause and someone will lead it soon.

What happens when only a handful of companies own everything? Who's going to buy their #? They are killing the golden goose. Where's the goose going after that? My bet is on guerrilla warfare.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: LOSTinAMERICA

I think half of America is just a bunch of losers who can't take responsibility.

Lazy bums

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 10:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Obama says:

"If you like your gold you can keep your gold"

Oh? Well... that's okay... friends.

We're a very benevolent and forbearing people.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 11:00 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Do I hear the herd, athundering.....

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 11:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: hammanderr
Yes, that's the world we live in now, Europe is the same.

But wait, if everyone's broke then how's everyone eating? Oh yeah, welfare entitlements!!! That's how.

Half of America is choosing to be broke, there's jobs if you want to work. Welfare if you don't.

Don't complain about it, we've created a paradise. We now live in a society where everyone eats, has clothes, free education, free healthcare.....what's the problem?

Lol a college education costs more than a brand new SUV, obamacare costs $700 month on average, and you must pay out of picket an average of $6,000 before the insurance will pay a cent....sounds free to me.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 11:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Onslaught2996

When it is minorities complaining about being broke and poor..the right loves to say..who is to blame but yourself...now it's other Americans are also broke..Blame Obama?

How the hell do you guys not see your contradictions..

It really depends in each case. If a person has spent most of their life making poor decisions or just didn't do much of anything it is safe to assume they are at fault. If many hit hard times no matter what success they have achieve it is most likely the Governments fault. We will always have a good chunk of non-achievers, but it is safe to say that Obama has really hurt a large number of families that should not be in the predicament they have been in these last 6 years.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 11:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColCurious

a reply to: IAMTAT

And if we count all of the liabilities it is more like $200 trillion.

It will not be possible for that debt to be paid.

Yeah well, about that... lol

I heard a couple of years ago that it would take a couple of years to 'process' any requests for repatriation.

I think that would put the transfer around now.

It is a good reminder that reduced confidence in the currency is already a reality.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 11:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Foderalover
I make really good money or so I thought but I am broke. I make between 1200 and 1600 a week and I don't drink or do hard drugs and I don't really buy anything , I sold my new Tacoma to my sister and bought an older one because of work mileage and Im broke. I live in a small apartment on the beach , its cheap and my fridge is empty always.

Rent
car insurance
car tax
cable/wifi
obamacare
cellphone
car payment
credit cards
electricity
income tax
boat tax

This is the normal stuff that an average guy like me has to pay every month, Im broke. I sit home every night while my friends are out drinking, Im broke, it isn't right.

Break that down in how much do you spend for each area.

for me...

Rent/house 2600
car insurance 200
car tax (what the hell is that?)
cable/wifi 130
obamacare (I'm healthy, but about 300)
cellphone 100
car payment 0
credit cards 0
electricity/gas 200
income tax (kind of doesn't count)
boat tax 0

About 3600 or 43000 per year.

Add in gas, food clothing etc another 1500 per month or 61,000 for my family.

73,000 -20% = 59,000 after taxes... you must have some serious credit cards if you are just one and not a family.

edit on 22-2-2015 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I'm not broke, I have some change in the jar on the counter.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 12:01 AM
link   
No doubting that. Considering more than half the wealth of the entire world is controlled by the top 1% or less.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 12:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese
a reply to: criticalhit

I was chatting with someone from India in ATS chat who was talking about how their rising middle class has too many students in the same high level professions. It's the same everywhere. There's only so much demand and positions for the high paying jobs. I don't think the US has a lack of Engineers, or Scientists. I think we do have too many people with basic degrees who might do best to just skip it altogether. In India, there is a surplus of Engineers, Programmers, and such.

I think what you see is entities that follow a life cycle. Countries are no different.

That wouldn't be true though for us

India has 1.2 Billion people and now nearly double the number of Universities as we do in the USA, they given their infra structures lack of development and sheer numbers of students do have a surplus, we don't even come close to a surplus,

We are well under the range of 20% of our people even graduating University in the first place a higher percentage actually GED's out than goes on to college. And a vast portion of that takes garbage majors.

By number and demographic we have squat.

edit on 23-2-2015 by criticalhit because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 12:32 AM
link   

It is a good reminder that reduced confidence in the currency is already a reality.

Reduced confidence you say... I'd say pragmatic calculation replaced that confidence some time ago at the BuBa.

They just go along with the silly play as long as the 'U.S.' FED can keep it up.

*And to bring it back on topic: Just how much longer will the American people 'play along'?

Any day now...
edit on 23-2-2015 by ColCurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 12:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: criticalhit

I watch immigrants break the mold every day... they don't go to Walmart fer Jawbs... they grab a lawn mower and empower themselves. It's not everyone else, it's a Jerry Springer and Dr Phil and Oprah obsessed nation full of uneducated opinions that "matter" for no deserved reason.

They do it for pennies and put everyone out of business.

Yes and No

For a while that was an issue as the bulk of our immigration was Hispanic, Now the largest immigration group is Asian and they have the old school Entrepreneurial nature the Europeans did before and after the war and they largely aim it in the right direction... Tech

The immigration thing is becoming invalid, I understand the point that it contributed in a negative way for a time and still does, but Asian immigration is higher now than Latino was at it's peak... and per capita they are ahead of Caucasians by Income also, so they are not in any way working for pennies.

What they are is HUNGRY

and we want the post WW2 comforts our parents had and well... it's just not real, we got robbed by the corps sure, the govt wasted so much money on bs it's insane, sure... these things are a given.

But too late now

We have to change and get hungry and get it back and what was taken is already converted to stacks of Gold in foreign countries, you can find who to hang, but it wont get it back now.

Ever see a Korean family show up here, stack 6 people to a 2 bedroom apartment and everybody has at least one job if not Two until they can afford to open a business then employ everyone...

They do it in 5 years, rags to genuine upper middle class

We feel entitled (so do I hell) to NOT have to operate that way, we expect Saturday nights out, we like to pig out, stuff ourselves with food and entertainment... It's just not that way now.

The reality is, if you take the measures, none of us have to "buckle down" like that for all that long... to achieve the same results, we are just pissed off and don't want too.

But... sometimes the house burns down and that's the real... personally I just don't want to waste any more time being pissed over it, If I have to eat salads and stuff and have roomies and share with family or stay home and work a job while free lancing... fine, i'm not getting younger and the money isn't coming back without that pre WW2 kind of effort we had when we were the immigrants

It just feels goofy to sit and scream at Gov and Corps, why the hell would we ever trust them with our future anyway, money and power corrupt... Personally I think I should have known that from history class by 4th grade, and I was of course a party animal lol a lt of my life and thought it would never end like every one else. But reminiscing is boring anyway...

We got robbed people, that's the whole of it. Now we have to change our attitudes and rebuild like loosing a war, you Loose a War like the Japanese and rebuild that crap in 10 years OR you loose a War like Iraq and freaking tear yourselves apart and join useless militias that make things worse.

I just don't want to live in the past or play the blame game my friend, I want my crap back before i'm too old to enjoy it and it IS possible to find stuff to do you can make meaning of and enjoy when your working for self and with family, it's not the end of the world just the end of the party... There can be other holidays lol and well, America went on Vacation after WW2 as I see it, we got too rich too fast and well... as the stats show half of all lottery winners end up dead or in jail

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 12:52 AM
link   
a reply to: ColCurious

*And to bring it back on topic: Just how much longer will the American people 'play along'? Any day now...

Not a chance....the people will play along and keep playing,you had better get used to it.....the average family are not about to change their way of life on a belief....the average family unit is much more worried about keeping a roof over their heads,paying the bills,feeding the kids and keeping a level of decent lifestyle for the family

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join