It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is it OK for blacks to self-segregate themselves, and why is it acceptable?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: TheJourney

No but I think it depends on what the demagraphics say that what programming is watchedd and what is protrayed on the network.

On BET you would see what 70% black people (probably a conservative estimate)

On CMT you see what percentage of white people? I cant begin to say what the actual percentage is because I dont watch it.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: TheJourney

There were quite a few af american country artists in the 80's.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: sweets777

Can you name 10 other black country music star's?

I dont think anything now days is really all one thing? on black people meet I am sure you will find a couple white people there trying to meet black people.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: American-philosopher

oh i know i was just stating how it is politically incorrect for white people to try ....but its ok for others not just blacks

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower
a reply to: thesmokingman

Because there is no such thing as ' white culture '.

But there is such a thing as Black Culture, or Asian culture or whatever.

And besides, any minority group that has historically suffered at the hands of the majority is going to carve themselves out a little slice of the pie that's just for them.

That would be why. And no I'm not stating that white people are racist or have a problem with minorities or anything like that, it's just a product of history that's all.

~Tenth

And the ignorant statement of the day award goes to . . . . .

EDIT: As a matter of fact, why don't you explain what exactly "Black Culture" is to me?
edit on 24-2-2015 by chuck258 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: chuck258

Because there is no such thing as ' white culture '.

But there is such a thing as Black Culture, or Asian culture or whatever.

And besides, any minority group that has historically suffered at the hands of the majority is going to carve themselves out a little slice of the pie that's just for them.

That would be why. And no I'm not stating that white people are racist or have a problem with minorities or anything like that, it's just a product of history that's all.

~Tenth

And the ignorant statement of the day award goes to . . . . .

EDIT: As a matter of fact, why don't you explain what exactly "Black Culture" is to me?

Well, reading threads on here where this gets discussed, people here seem to think 'black culture' is equivalent to drugs, rap, illegitimate babies, and violence...this coincides with my discovery that there is a heavy racist presence on ATS, so take it how you will...I think it's disgraceful that racism has become one of the most obvious, in-your-face aspects of popular opinion on ATS, and it's just accepted.
edit on 24-2-2015 by TheJourney because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 10:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dmvr34
a reply to: dr1234

So, because there was slavery hundreds of years ago (when such things were the norm), we, today, must tolerate being blamed for it?
Whom then must I blame and ask a apology from for the Slaves of Barbary? (look it up)

Who's blaming anyone? I certainly didn't own any slaves, all I'm trying to say there is a different set of things that blacks may be sensitive to because of this horrendous event in our past. I don't understand it, but how could I? Because of this, I'm willing to accept that a "white entertainment television" might rub some black people the wrong way and avoid making such a station out of respect. If they want to make a BET, you need to realize it doesn't send the same message that a WET would, and you don't have to understand why. Consider taking their word for it. That's all.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   
It's not that we accept it. We, for the most part, just don't give a damn. I believe that's what black folks hate the most. All the things you mention... "The cries of racism, the rioting, the violence, and the cities that they burn!" seem more 'attention' based than anything else. Attention, praise and success in the black community is much easier to achieve leaving a trail of bad, rather than building a reputation of good. The really screwed up part of it is, I constantly hear blacks suggesting WE change things, relax laws, etc to accomodate THEM. And to try to accept more of THEIR ' lifestyle '. If we did, the next thing to go bad would be all those EBT cards. Yeah... I said it.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Black culture is a product of a discovery of an identity that has formed (and is forming) via reactions through several developments in overall US history. Our identity was stripped from us through the slave trade and 'seasoning' so we've had to make one up.

The reason why the rap culture is dominating the stage of black culture is because it is has an appearance of success ie: rappers seem to get paid.

How many people have watched Friends, Full House, or Raising Arizona. White people dont have to have a "white" label for much because everything is white. For example, there is no white history month because every month is white history month.

Good post though

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: doclec
Black culture is a product of a discovery of an identity that has formed (and is forming) via reactions through several developments in overall US history. Our identity was stripped from us through the slave trade and 'seasoning' so we've had to make one up.

The reason why the rap culture is dominating the stage of black culture is because it is has an appearance of success ie: rappers seem to get paid.

How many people have watched Friends, Full House, or Raising Arizona. White people dont have to have a "white" label for much because everything is white. For example, there is no white history month because every month is white history month.

Good post though

I'm giving you the floor to tell me what exactly Black Culture is. It doesn't matter what non black people think Black Culture is. So I will ask you instead since this guy' has remained deafeningly silent on his response.

Explain to me what Black Culture is. The guy above me gave some Politically correct definition that really doesn't say anything. Give me examples of Black Culture and how it is under attack.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheJourney

originally posted by: American-philosopher

Well for BET isn't there CMT?

It's really funny when people say this...do you think 'country music' is a race, or 'black' is a genre of music?

Are you aware that videos with white people in them are played on BET? Not to mention that BET is owned by a white man.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: chuck258

I don't know how it's under attack, but I'll try to give an insight to what black culture is. I'll give the foundations being that some things have evolved through time. Some things were retained and some were forgotten based on the environment of each situation.

Soul food is part of black culture. The black church is a unique part of black culture (there is a clear difference in the traditions of white and black services). Rhythm and blues is a part of black culture. Hip hop is a part of black culture, which was birthed by r&b , and gave birth to rap. What is called ebonics is part of black culture. Cornrows, locs and braids are a part black culture. The names that are chosen currently by black folks is part of black culture (D'Brickshaw, DeMarcus, Aiwrecka, etc)

There's a lot I have probably missed. And most of those things are not restricted to black culture now, being that other cultures have picked up on them and enhanced them with their own twists (r&b and rap being prime examples). Some are just simply shared (some white folks speak ebonics too).

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   
BET is owned by white folks, black power = empowerment and defence / white power = hate & assault. Seem more and more folks miss or ignore history lessons.

Why do we need black banks ? um maybe so our dollar cirulates in the community instead of leaving before circulating once. Honestly black folks dont get anything whte people dont give them for the most part.

The biggest gangster were white/italian and heros tommygun drivebys and las vegas, but blacks are thugs.

It must be nice to pick and choose what you have issues with , not that you really care.

I think the issue is america was made for the success of the white man, and with so many white men failing at life it helps them to vent and blame others.

Do yourself a favor and use google or a history book

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: magnetik

If you haven't heard of her, you should research the studies of Frances Cress Welsing. She sums up those points very clearly.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   
It doesn't bother me at all that blacks want sites to meet other blacks. If white's want a site to meet other white's it wouldn't effect me. I couldn't care less. I don't mind Jewish, Muslim, Christian or Athiest sites either. I'm also perfectly fine with the existence of China Towns through out America. I don't enjoy any of the shows on BET, but I don't feel like it's existence is a great injustice. if people want to support horrible TV programming let them. I don't mind Univision either. AZN is ok by me too. When i see the 1000000 Christian channels that came with my cable, I don't scream WHAT ABOUT ATHEIST CHANNELS!...No, I just set my receiver to leave those channels inactive.

I have no problem with people who enjoy their own people. Liking your own people isn't always linked to hating others. If a Mexican chooses to listen to Mexican music all day, I don't assume it's cause he hates Americans. To some extent I think everyone gravitate to things that are familiar. Seems like some of you want to control the lives of others. It's weird to me.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 04:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

It has nothing to do with actually wanting a white entertainment TV or a white date.com,you miss the point. It has to do with equality. If you truly believe we`re all equal then why wouldn`t young whites who have nothing to do with past injustices against blacks and who see blacks as equals in society,and who by the way treat blacks with a great deal more respect than blacks in general treat whites, why shouldn`t they feel the same as blacks when they`re looked down upon and constantly told everything is there fault? There`s more poor whites than blacks and im sure when they`re being yelled at and told about this white privilege they have,they`re going what the f$#$ are they talking about? With all the programs involving affirmative action and set asides for minorities the vast majority of whites have no privilege but rather a disadvantage. So I say again why should whites feel any different than blacks when a false narrative is being sold to the public based solely on there race? If that makes you mad and the reason why is because of your pre-existing bias against whites then you`re a hypocrite and a racist. There`s a lot of people out there that march under the guise of equality but who really want paybacks for things not done to them personally, against people who had NOTHING to do with the acts committed. It`s all fueled by hatred which is incited and fueled by opportunists like Sharpton and Jackson who make money off it.
Hate is hate. We are individuals and those that lump everyone together based on race because of the actions of a few are frigging racists,and if you think that rule should only apply to blacks and not whites then you`re a racist and you have no credibility,go away.If you`re white and you things that way then you`re self hating and the black equivalent of a uncle Tom. Apologize for your own personal deeds, you have no right to speak for others.If you feel the need to suck up that badly then i advise you take that up with your therapist.
As a wise man once said, judge not by the color of my skin but the content of my character. This means don`t make assumptions about somebody because of there race. This is equally wrong both ways. When you cry racism while acting racist towards others you look the fool and are showing the maturity of a child who thinks he`s entitled based on nothing.
Both sides have a long way to go and because race relations are being used to foment public discourse by our current administration,its getting worse not better.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: fartsmeller46
a reply to: Sremmos80

race relations are being used to foment public discourse .

Is that what you really meant to say?

Let's face it, the US has a huge race prob­lem. You can either continue to ignore it or you can air it in public and start to fix it. Not talking about it isn't going to make it go away.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   

a reply to: jheated5

The people of the UK have their own culture

That's quite funny.

As long ago as the 1950s, observers like Richard Hoggart were saying that Britain was losing its culture in a wave of American music, TV and film.

Where are the Easter parades, the Pancake Tuesday carnivals, the St George's Day and May Day festivals? Who remembers when Whitsun is? Where do kids ask for a penny for the Guy?

What we have now is US-lite: 400 cultural channels of schitte and the collective memory of a goldfish.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join