It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is it OK for blacks to self-segregate themselves, and why is it acceptable?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Self-glorification. Imperiousness. Vanity. Self-aggrandizing.

It's a hubristic trait every human possesses to some degree or other.

And it's the reason behind every self-interest group known to mankind... be it groups associated by race, colour, religion, nationality, geographical location, ancestral pedigree, socioeconomic status, political ideologies, or whatever.

This divisive mentality has been the downfall of mankind since time immemorial.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

originally posted by: Mastronaut
This is not to say we should forget, but we should go over it or it will be worse for everyone.

You want the Jews to forget the holocaust? Slavery of Black Americans, Near genocide of Native Americans.
Do you want people to just ignore their common heritage? Son, you have a problem, and I think I know what it is.

Their past is part of their culture. And people are not the same everywhere as long as racism and prejudice persist and growing in America.

Want Peace? Work for JUSTICE!

I thought I wrote exactly that we shouldn't forget, didn't I? Getting over it it's simply put the only option. I'm pretty sure I have problems as much as I'm pretty sure you don't know what they are.
And people ARE THE SAME everywhere, if you don't think so it's you who have the same problem as those racists, not me.

Racism is one thing, but there are also religion, class, wealth, sexual preference... name one thing and you'll find idiots that will take a stance against your freedom of choice or freedom to be.

I'd stand up for the right of being free of everyone one regardless of ethnicity, ideas and country, but the big issue is that it's not exactly peace, especially if the ones I'd stand up for aren't willing to get over it. Remember your culture and don't do the same mistake. Revenge isn't justice.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: American-philosopher
a reply to: thesmokingman

Well for BET isn't there CMT?

It's really funny when people say this...do you think 'country music' is a race, or 'black' is a genre of music?

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   
because its done for survival, literally

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: magnetik

Another non-literal use of literally, yea? I'm pretty sure BET and black dating sites aren't doing much in terms of survival...

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   

I don't believe it's helpful for ANY community to segregate itself to that extent. I believe that as long as there is "US" and "THEM" there will always be us and them. I have raised this issue with several African Americans online and they seem to believe that in knocking down those barriers between us they are somehow losing their identity and turning their back on the past.

I see things rather differently... There is only one race. "THE HUMAN RACE". We are all in this together and we might yet all wind up extinct!

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 07:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheJourney

originally posted by: magnetik

Another non-literal use of literally, yea? I'm pretty sure BET and black dating sites aren't doing much in terms of survival...

Black dating sites are totally comprehensible. Sexual preference isn't really democratic nor needs to be. Despite black is often referred to afro-americans and not only based on the color of the skin, it mostly depends on the fact that these sites are just found in countries with a certain freedom of lifestyle.
I think even a white-only dating site wouldn't be seen as particularly racist.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Because white people weren't brought over in chains and forced to work black people's fields for no pay or respect just a few hundred years ago. I think they've earned a little bit of leeway when it comes to sensitivity, but you keep telling them what is and isn't ok to get upset about. or do.. very genuine of you.

*rolls eyes*

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 02:18 AM
link   
A: Because in the last four hundred years in North America there
have been no white people "owned" by black people.

class dismissed

edit on 24-2-2015 by rival because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Being from South Africa I can relate to the OP's post. I also agree fully with his point that these double standards serve no good purpose, in fact they only serve to further drive a wedge between different groups.

If, in my country, there were to be a "white only" anything today it would cause a massive outcry.
Even though 20+ years have past since apartheid ended, the connotations associated with segregating people based on race is still to fresh for most.
Having said that, when will it stop being "too fresh" for people? Must we wait 50 / 100 / 2000 yrs ?
In my opinion the quicker we move on (not forget) from the past the better.

Anyways,
to the OP

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 03:30 AM
link   
a reply to: dr1234

So, because there was slavery hundreds of years ago (when such things were the norm), we, today, must tolerate being blamed for it?
Whom then must I blame and ask a apology from for the Slaves of Barbary? (look it up)

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 04:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

It disgust me that it bothers people so much, like a website and a TV network are such a huge deal.
What would you want on white entertainment television btw?

THAT'S the thing... nobody wants White Entertainment Television. It's the concept that black people are specifically different from Americans in general that they need a special TV network. After all the years in school being taught "were all the same" "were all the same" "it's just skin color". And we all accepted that, no problem.

But then someone wanted to go a step further, singling out black people as equal-but-special. Kinda sounds like Jim Crow's laws right? (separate but equal). So that's puts us on shaky ground again, because if every group has 'equal-but-special" status with TV networks, or Colleges, or business loans, then you can't block white people from having it.

Oh but you can, and they do. White people are the perpetual whipping-boy, the immortal scapegoats. Long after white people are only 25% of America's population, we will still be the fault of everything bad. Look at South Africa. It's all the white people's fault even though the ANC has held power for more than 20years now and has run the place straight into the ground. It's all white people's fault.... LOL

This is why monolithic societies work best" YOU CAN ONLY BLAME YOURSELF. In multicultural societies one side will always blame the others and the nation crumbles rather than people taking responsibility for their failures and making themselves better.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 05:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: dr1234

Because white people weren't brought over in chains and forced to work black people's fields for no pay or respect just a few hundred years ago. I think they've earned a little bit of leeway when it comes to sensitivity, but you keep telling them what is and isn't ok to get upset about. or do.. very genuine of you.

*rolls eyes*

originally posted by: rival

A: Because in the last four hundred years in North America there
have been no white people "owned" by black people.

class dismissed

Uhhhh, sorry bros, but white people were slaves in the Americas LONG before black people were.

www.globalresearch.ca...

Search Results

In his article, John Martin writes “The Irish slave trade began when James II sold 30,000 Irish prisoners as slaves to the New World. His Proclamation of 1625 required Irish political prisoners be sent overseas and sold to English settlers in the West Indies.

“Ireland quickly became the biggest source of human livestock for English merchants. The majority of the early slaves to the New World were actually white.”

Martin writes how at the hands of the British, the Irish population plummeted due to the slave trade of the 17th century.

“During the 1650s, over 100,000 Irish children between the ages of 10 and 14 were taken from their parents and sold as slaves in the West Indies, Virginia and New England. In this decade, 52,000 Irish (mostly women and children) were sold to Barbados and Virginia. Another 30,000 Irish men and women were also transported and sold to the highest bidder. In 1656, [Oliver] Cromwell ordered that 2000 Irish children be taken to Jamaica and sold as slaves to English settlers.”

edit on 24-2-2015 by 8675309jenny because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

As a white individual, you took the words out of my mouth. BET is not a racist org, it is a cultural org. Why do we have two cultures of people when both peoples came to this nation at roughly the same time? It is some of our ancestors fault. American-Black is a culture. You are perfectly allowed to watch BET and even join the audience on their shows. Black does not mean black only, but white only DOES more often than not, mean white only. Also, blacks tend to like white entertainment more than whites like black entertainment, another degree of separation for "black entertainment." As for black college funds and such, I think those are reparations still. A "sorry" some of our ancestors were so cruel to nearly all of your ancestors, if not all.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: dr1234

*rolls eyes*

Another person that does not know their history....rolls eyes....you understand that whites used to be slaves as well and that blacks owned slaves too dont you? Didnt think so. NO ONE should get a free pass for anything in the past that did not directly affect them. They scream equal rights, they dont deserve EXTRA rights...

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: 8675309jenny

Thank you! Most people dont bother to actually research things, they just go with the status quo....READ people, LEARN people.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: thesmokingman

originally posted by: Sremmos80

This thread again...

And of course you need to try and prove you point with some extreme of rioting and violence and cities burning while presenting a hypothetical.

It disgust me that it bothers people so much, like a website and a TV network are such a huge deal.
What would you want on white entertainment television btw?

The college fund/ affirmative action point is almost valid if our country didn't have such a crappy past that we are all just not supposed to talk about.
/flame suit on

Yep, this thread again! Why bring up the violence, looting and rioting? Well, when was the last time any whites, or even other races for that matter rioted and burned down businesses? Seriously, they get special rights because of "our countries" past being so messed up? Do some research on slavery and its roots sometime, you would be surprised of what you may learn.

What would we learn if we researched slavery and it's roots? And the relationship between that and black people apparently being the only race that riots and is violent?

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Until the human race can come to terms that we are but a single species, there will never be equality. It is human nature to try a distinguish ourselves above those around us. So long as we try and set ourselves apart our differences will show. This can be god and this can be bad.

Many times you will see groups of people who want to define themselves on past beliefs and events. Let's talk frankly about slavery. Slavery is not unique to the black culture, however in America that is how they define, at least partially, who they are. Yet slavery has been going on since the beginning. No race, no culture has been immune from it. In fact it is still happening today in parts of the world. The problem comes in when you are unwilling to let go of the atrocities committed against your ancestors.

Does that mean we should forget the past? Absolutely not. If so, then we end up with another holocaust. In fact we see this today in the Middle East. There is a powerful group of people who are killing those who believe differently. This is where holding on beliefs of the past hold negative repercussions on today. This is where we need to decide what parts of the past will define us.

There was a time when the Muslim community was the leader is medical and scientific advancement. America was at one time the paragon of virtue (well, more so than today).

However, being different can change the world. When we stand above history and lead in a new direction we are all better for it. Just quickly take a look at Elon Musk. Designs a new type of car and then releases the patents. He is different. He looks at the world view. And as far as the African American College Fund, it has helped to elevate the status of blacks in American society, a society which in the past was notoriously bad.

My personal feeling is that we need to get rid of "African American" nomenclature. We need to just be human. But that will not happen in our lifetimes. Someday maybe. We are all the same race yet unique. It is however, which uniqueness we choose base who we are that will determine our future.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: American-philosopher

No No were not JUST people we each have our own unique cultures but we are all equal

"All men are not created equal." Slayer God Hates Us All

I'm not going to think that I am created equal and make some kind of foolish naïve stand. I know better. In other words "wake the you know what up because you can't ignore what I say I got my own philosophy." Slayer God Hates Us All

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

Because there is no such thing as ' white culture '.

But there is such a thing as Black Culture, or Asian culture or whatever.

And besides, any minority group that has historically suffered at the hands of the majority is going to carve themselves out a little slice of the pie that's just for them.

That would be why. And no I'm not stating that white people are racist or have a problem with minorities or anything like that, it's just a product of history that's all.

~Tenth

BS. Theres plenty of white culture. Look to the south, or in Appalachia. The so called "hill billys" have a unique culture.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join