It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is it OK for blacks to self-segregate themselves, and why is it acceptable?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   
White People only have 3/5 of a Right to Discuss this issue.

That's why there is no Whitepeople.com..

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesmokingman
a reply to: Cuervo

What's christianmingle.com?

You do understand there are many, many, many black christians dont you?

Absolutely. But black Christians represent a minority among the Christian body just like they do in the rest of our population. I just used that as an example but it could have been any of the basic mainstream dating sites. It had nothing to do with Christians. I wasn't implying they exclude black people nor that there are no black Christians. Blackpeoplemeet.com doesn't exclude anybody, either.
edit on 22-2-2015 by Cuervo because: clarity

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cuervo

Absolutely. But black Christians represent a minority among the Christian body just like they do in the rest of our population. I just used that as an example but it could have been any of the basic mainstream dating sites. I wasn't implying they exclude black people nor that there are black Christians. Blackpeoplemeet.com doesn't exclude anybody, either.

But it IS called Blackpeoplemeet.com right? Is that not really excluding any particular race?

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   

You know it would exclude black people because there's already a billion dating sites filled with mostly white people.

Maybe perhaps that is because there are a lot more whites in the population? There is certainly NOT a dating site exclusively FOR white people.....nor do I want one by the way...just pointing out the error in your thinking.

Blackpeoplemeet.com doesn't exclude anybody, either.

My point is that the only difference is the branding and the marketing include verbiage advertising to black people. This is sensible because they are a minority. It's like if two people with red shirts are trying to find each other in a crowd of people with blue shirts. They might write signs that say "Red shirt folks over here!". It's to grab the attention of a minority of people in the room.

It's just smart marketing.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cuervo

Absolutely. But black Christians represent a minority among the Christian body just like they do in the rest of our population. I just used that as an example but it could have been any of the basic mainstream dating sites. I wasn't implying they exclude black people nor that there are black Christians. Blackpeoplemeet.com doesn't exclude anybody, either.

But it IS called Blackpeoplemeet.com right? Is that not really excluding any particular race?

Nope. Plenty of white people want to meet black people.

link   

But black Christians represent a minority among the Christian body just like they do in the rest of our population

I don't think they are a minority population anymore.

link   
a reply to: thesmokingman

The black panthers that were doing that at the polls were given presidential pardons.

It would never happen for whites in the same situation.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
Anytime I hear white folks start talking about stuff like the OP, it is a dog whistle to me for racism. I'd have no problem with a Scottish organization or an Irish organization which for the most part are going to be 100% white. However, just claiming some generic "white culture" is a bunch of BS.

I think the OP has valid reasons to question the self-segregation. I don't think his argument applies to white since there is no white culture. However there is no black culture either unless you define who's black and who's not. Are creoles black? Are all African coming from the same cultural environment? I don't think so. Are southern indians and aboriginals black aswell? Yes but they aren't of the black culture we are talking about.

So in fact using "black" is racist and enforces the racist origin since what we are talking about is a culture that is formed from slaves. "Negro" is a banned therm, but had some meaning (wheter racist or not was an anthropological therm) and was kind of defining a certain ethnicity, but not surely a culture.

There is no way to segregate and avoid totally the racism problem. I think using colors is totally wrong and misleading, whatever color you use. If there was less politically correctness and we started leaving racism as a problem of the past there could be less issues. But it's like semites and jews, if you say something against jews you are anti-semite, but if you say the same things against palestinians (who are semites aswell) you aren't tagged.

I strongly believe that word-banninng and self-segregation won't do anything besides creating more tension.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Yeah this is just comical. The ONLY people who ever complain about this are whiney 'white' folks.

Yes, the racial fabric of the U.S and Europe is an endlessly complicated quagmire, but, seriously, if the biggest race-related problem you have is not being able to start a group containing the word 'white' or that minority-catered scholarships exist, then, grow up.

Is it a double-standard by definition? Yes. But, it's a very very small double standard. So, the word Black is in an entertainment network. What were they to do, call it the Congolese-Camarooniian-Ugandan-Sudanese-Algerian-Descendants'-Urban-Culture Entertainment Network? Come on, man.

As has been said countless times, the entertainment industry over here has been white-owned and white-centric since its inception! So now that minority-centric networks are popping up, the fact that they are named to attract those minorities is a problem? Are you sure it's the name that's the problem guys?

Stop being butthurt over the fact that the 'racism' us whities face is usually semantic-based nitpickery.

As far as the rioting goes, OP, the majority of riots I've seen from minorities in America and Europe were reactions to times of great duress. The majority of rioting I've seen from white folks was in reaction the result of a sports match. Look it up there's hundreds of examples.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mastronaut

Anytime I hear white folks start talking about stuff like the OP, it is a dog whistle to me for racism. I'd have no problem with a Scottish organization or an Irish organization which for the most part are going to be 100% white. However, just claiming some generic "white culture" is a bunch of BS.

I think the OP has valid reasons to question the self-segregation. I don't think his argument applies to white since there is no white culture. However there is no black culture either unless you define who's black and who's not. Are creoles black? Are all African coming from the same cultural environment? I don't think so. Are southern indians and aboriginals black aswell? Yes but they aren't of the black culture we are talking about.

So in fact using "black" is racist and enforces the racist origin since what we are talking about is a culture that is formed from slaves. "Negro" is a banned therm, but had some meaning (wheter racist or not was an anthropological therm) and was kind of defining a certain ethnicity, but not surely a culture.

There is no way to segregate and avoid totally the racism problem. I think using colors is totally wrong and misleading, whatever color you use. If there was less politically correctness and we started leaving racism as a problem of the past there could be less issues. But it's like semites and jews, if you say something against jews you are anti-semite, but if you say the same things against palestinians (who are semites aswell) you aren't tagged.

I strongly believe that word-banninng and self-segregation won't do anything besides creating more tension.

The nuance of my position is going over your head. Yes, there are cultural differences between say blacks from West Indies and say American born blacks. Yes, creoles are black. At a macro level all are black and share cultural similarities. In addition, the discrimination that one faces does not really make a distinction. Yes, there are differences once you start really getting granular but that is no difference from saying people from the south are different from people from the north even though we are both Americans.

At least here in America, white culture is the broader American culture. However, as a minority, the specifics of my culture are sometimes overlooked which is why you have niche sites, organizations, etc to address this imperfection in the market place.

To say there is no black culture shows your ignorance. Ever since black people were brought to America as slaves, we've had our own unique culture when it comes to food, language, entertainment, and even religion.

I've been the "only one" in a sea of white faces more times than I can count. It doesn't bother me. However, when I want to enjoy my own culture, I am thankful for BET, black colleges, soul food restaurants, and a host of other businesses or organizations that cater to my unique needs.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Genuinely want to understand what you mean exactly by 'your own unique needs'? We all need love, support, food, shelter, work - I can't quite get this unique needs thing.
That's kind of like me saying I'll just pop on this sheet for a sec and pop down to the local white needs clubs. Surely that kind of thinking and segradation is antiquated and highly counter productive in a true multicultural society?

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: thesmokingman

Oh goodness you must have missed all those hockey games and college sporting events when so called white people rioted, fought in the streets, knocked out business windows, and turned cars over? People naturally segregate, choosing to live or be among people of like mind and or culture why does it have to be such a big deal when it comes to so called black people? People begrudge so called black people for things they take for granted themselves. I can't fathom why it concerns you so if somebody decides to live or function among their own it's not an affront to you it's personal choice.
edit on 22-2-2015 by Chai_An because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   
www.awsnetwork.org...

All White Social Network!

Google is every bodies friend... No matter their Race!
edit on 22-2-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Qumulys

It's nothing like popping on a sheet to do anything. YOU inserted the racism into the statement. It's more like if an Australian wanted some vegemite but their favourite Aussie brand isn't available at the Piggly Wiggly or whatever, so you go to an Australian-food market.

And wouldn't a true MULTI-cultural society want to have things available to the, you know, multiple cultures?

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 07:22 PM
link   

To say there is no black culture shows your ignorance. Ever since black people were brought to America as slaves, we've had our own unique culture when it comes to food, language, entertainment, and even religion.

You are either didn't read or just misrepresent my words. There is no black culture, since aboriginals are black and surely don't share the same culture of afro-american. If you want to expand you could talk about slaves culture, but that's broader in another sense and surely nonsense.
It seems obvious you are very biased, you should really think that the color of the skin doesn't define a culture, not black not white and most probably not red, yellow or any other color. That's my point.
If you say black culture is afro-american culture than you are making the same mistake as the OP: assuming white culture is anglo-american culture.

I've been the "only one" in a sea of white faces more times than I can count. It doesn't bother me. However, when I want to enjoy my own culture, I am thankful for BET, black colleges, soul food restaurants, and a host of other businesses or organizations that cater to my unique needs.

This is out of topic, everyone can enjoy the beautifulness of every culture, especially his own. No culture has unique needs, everyone needs the same, what makes cultural differences beautiful is exactly that: differences (which aren't needs).

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 07:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Qumulys
a reply to: Edumakated

Genuinely want to understand what you mean exactly by 'your own unique needs'? We all need love, support, food, shelter, work - I can't quite get this unique needs thing.
That's kind of like me saying I'll just pop on this sheet for a sec and pop down to the local white needs clubs. Surely that kind of thinking and segradation is antiquated and highly counter productive in a true multicultural society?

There are significant differences. You can't be this sheltered?

Religion: Black churches are vastly different from white churches

Music: R&B is vastly different from Rock, country, etc. Ever listened to radio stations targeted at black folks versus those targeted at whites or the broader generic culture?

Strip Clubs: Yes, even black strip clubs are different from white strip clubs. Black folks were twerking long before Miley Cyrus came along.

College Fraternities / Sororities: World of difference between historically black greek organizations and white ones.

Food:

Heck, even black men typically prefer thicker women than those little scrawny white models the fashion industry puts out.

Honestly, it is the little things.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I agree totally with you. But it is across the board. Not just blacks. We need human rights / equal rights. Not black, gay women's, ECT.. The more separated it is the less equal it will be. How can segregating everything into groups ever end up equal like they say they want as A RESULT? This only keeps the divide alive.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I find it un-ok.

it's offensive and condusive to racial divisions.

This is the same kind of nonsense at play with these repulsive 'reservations' of husedic jews that live in third world squalor all over the US in the name of religious freedom.

Religion should not be allowed to create social divisions. It has done that enough already.

End of story.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Qumulys

Generations ago the english dumped crims in Australia. Torn away from loved ones, granted no where near as bad as slavery in the US, but still dodgy if you ask me. We don't whinge about it, instead we've built a fairly decent and open society remembering the past and trying to learn from it.

Completely different set of circumstances. Convicts were typically freed when their sentences were up, usually after about seven years. How is this in anyway comparable to chattel slavery? Even after the end of chattel slavery in the US, there was another hundred years of legal disenfranchisement, segregation and other forms of oppression. Prison transports to Australia stopped in the 1860's. So now imagine that those convicts and their children, grandchildren and so on and so forth were treated as second class citizens with limited civil liberties for the next hundred years. Instead former convicts were quickly integrated into society. What reason would Australians have to whine?

Where is the next MLK going to come from? They are desperately needed right now to heal this onslaught of residual anger, they need to forgive the past to break this cycle, then they need to forgive themselves for the gang mentality and self deprevation and needlessly mentally caging children in a country where everyone else is ready and willing for openness.

I don't think you have a very firm grasp of race relations in the US. We elected a half-black President and about half the country went into a meltdown. The American born daughter of Indian immigrants won the Miss America 2014 pageant and social media was on fire with "ready, willing and open" bigots calling her a terrorist and whining about how it was "Miss America not Miss Al Qaeda."

Speaking of whining. This thread is about nothing BUT whining. The whining of the conservatives who have developed a persecution complex over the last 7 years with lots of help from propagandists.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

I did say it's not the same, the point however was about moving on. A poster above stated all these things like r&b, churches etc. Time to remember that stuff, but move on and bring us all together. Maybe I don't have the best grip of what's going on in the US, but at least down here we can have a bbq with an indian, somalian, muslim in the mix and it's wonderful. I'm just tired of grouping by nationality. In my mind that's the opposite of multiculturalism - I see it where we respect, learn and join freely amongst each cultures interests or activities without putting up walls. We've learnt so little that it depresses me no end.

For the record, I did live in the US for a year in which I was forbidden to go into town after 5:00pm. Which I thought was ridiculous. This was in Louisiana, but one night we had to grab some bandaids and the abuse from the gangs of African Americans was very nerve racking, I quickly learnt if I wanted anything to keep it to the daylight hours. But I understand that they are raised thinking that it has to be that way to survive. In reality they would grow more by branching out as many have shown in the black communities, but those voices are drowned out by the rap stars. It troubles me deeply.

I wan't that to end so badly, that mentality has to change. At this rate I wouldn't be surprised if MLK was thinking he wasted everyone's time. For the record my daughter is dating a black guy who is very nice and talented, no worries from me. We all have walls, I've worked my whole life to bring them down and go against a very strong ingrained human trait to group together with those most familiar to ourselves. Being more open and tolerant though brings back so much more in return.

edit on 22-2-2015 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join