It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TERRORISM: CIA's prison within a prison at Gitmo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 03:38 AM
link   
According to military officials and several intelligence officers the CIA runs a secret prison facility within the Guantanamo Bay prison in Cuba. Because the Gitmo prison is under military control, the defense department requires the Agency to register the detainees and permit the International Committee of the Red Cross 'some level of access'. But, while investigating the Abu Ghraib prison scandal, army officials discovered the CIA had held "ghost detainees" in the Cuban facility, terrorists who were not registered at all, thus violating military rules. It is not clear whether the facility is still in operation today.

MSNBC.com

The buildings used by the CIA are shrouded by high fences covered with thick green mesh plastic and ringed with floodlights, officials said. They sit within the larger Camp Echo complex, which was erected to house the Defense Department's high-value detainees and those awaiting military trials on terrorism charges.

The facility has housed detainees from Pakistan, West Africa, Yemen and other countries under the strictest secrecy, the sources said. "People are constantly leaving and coming," said one U.S. official who visited the base in recent months.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Great, so besides the military facility, the CIA also runs a prison there, CIA detainees probably have even less privileges, if at all. We've all seen how the military inmates are treated, what a disgrace for a modern country.

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Grrr, I wonder if this is something Goss will crack down on or perpetuate? You would think that after the Abu Ghraib scandal, that they would know better. I have no problem with the enemy combatants, the ghost detaines are more troubling. Who is watching over them to prevent abuse. I mean they deserve to be interrogated, but you have to draw the line somewhere. No doubt a scandal waiting to break

new topics

join