It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Member to member vetting process

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

That dichotomy presents problems in itself.

First, what of the people who choose not to participate? This will create bias in some people's minds. What of the people who participate and manipulate the system? Again, the kinds of personalities which come to a site like this. Some of us are rather bright. It's just another game to win.

Guess I'd have to see details for how this would play out, but who would be vetting the members? If it was merely members, couldn't birds of a feather vet each other?

It just seems to be inevitably creating a system which is based on popularity. Is this based on the subjective appeal of certain members, or on objective markers? If the former, then it's narrowing the range of voices and creating a herd mentality.

Maybe you could show us an example of what you mean?
edit on 22-2-2015 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Greetings-

Best of luck on the vetting process but to hammer out what is "The Truth", better pack a lunch as that will take the better part of a day...

I'm who I type to be...

namaste

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

First, what of the people who choose not to participate? This will create bias in some people's minds.

Hmmm. Yes i can see that you may be right there.

Is this based on the subjective appeal of certain members, or on objective markers?

Objective markers, like i am a real person who does not represent a corporate entity.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   

OK ask a shill

"Are you a shill"

Shill says

"No"

So for m my earlier post....are you with regiment 77 chindits....

Just look at someone's posting history...it helps when deciding how to respond to said individual...if someone is a shill...they are not getting paid to be in irrelevant threads...so their history is vital to look at....I am as was stated...a conspiracy theorist....nothing more ...nothing less....also...remember...everything is not a conspiracy...but IMHO....conspiracies do exist...and if they did not....there would be absolutely no purpose to this site...orrrrr....is this site part of the conspiracy ....damn....good thing I am at least aware of the possibility... Because I would be a lousy conspiracy theorist if I did not even entertain the notion.

Please....no offense to ATS...staff, members...or members of society.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   
So this thread actually asks me to prove I'm a Dumbass.
edit on 22-2-2015 by Dumbass because: it was just one line and even then I made a typo

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   

How does Twitter do what?

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: plube

so how do sites like twitter verify accounts>

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Ahh now I understand.

Through a series of emails to confirm who the person is who they say they are.
Plus networking, ie verifying through other channels and sources that the person is genuinely verifiable.

I don't see how that will identify a shill though.
Twitter is full of them...

As it stands, you just have to gauge the situation and recognise the playbook.
edit on 22-2-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

Edit: By The Way... Twitter reaches out to the person being verified... You can't request verification.
edit on 22-2-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestionVetting in the end will only create a list of names. And I think most members know instinctively, being conspiracy theorists, what happens after that.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
we should MAKE AVAILABLE a vetting process for members that WISH to validate their existence.

I know it sounds crazy and the most paranoid among us will scoff at the idea.

So an exclusionary club where undesirables are black balled.

...and anyone not for this is "paranoid"

we should MAKE AVAILABLE a vetting process

Who is "we" exactly? You and people you personally approve of perhaps?

History is full of this, with examples like McCarthyism.

During the McCarthy era, thousands of Americans were accused of being communists or communist sympathizers and became the subject of aggressive investigations and questioning before government or private-industry panels, committees and agencies.

A vetting process like that one maybe? It was all official and done by people who wanted to silence anyone who did not agree with them. It was done by credible people who thought they were doing the right thing, when in fact they were nothing more than people who wanted to control others beliefs and thoughts.

This sure sounds a lot like that to me.

I've got to say at this moment I take pleasure in the knowledge such a thing would never be allowed to happen here. Who would want to be a part of this exactly?

This board is not full of shills and spies and the whole idea is absurd. All I see are people who want to silence those who don't agree with them by throwing around accusations and trying to bully people into silence.

edit on 2/22/2015 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Could not care less..just look when someone comes on ATS and claims..

I am god
I am a prophet
I am an alien
I am draconian
I am from zeta reticuli

We as members will as questions...nothing personal...but things of an esoteric nature pertaining to said subject matter...and through no other method...other than intelligence,can work out if someone is legit...I remember someone was saying they themselves were bob lazar....but through a seemingly simple physics question...and by the nasty reply it showed he was not whom he pertained to be...so people soon get caught out....me ..I am some psychotic sociopathic nutter who was beamed up by an alien race only to be sent back to this sick planet to espouse huge heaps of rubbish upon unsuspecting reptilian politicians in order to gain my wings.

edit on 052828p://f02Sunday by plube because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   

So there is always speculation happening between members on weather or someone is a shill or a spy or whatnot so i think we should MAKE AVAILABLE a vetting process for members that WISH to validate their existence.

I know it sounds crazy and the most paranoid among us will scoff at the idea. Couchsurfing.com has an amazing referral and referencing system that we can use as a muse to create our own.

I'm not afraid of anything and I'm in for total accountability.

Unless someone actually accused me of being a shill or a disinfo agent why would I want to validate my existence?

Further, before I submit my personal details for vetting I might very well like to ask who is vetting me, and for them to give me verification of who they are.

I might require evidence that the entire site was legit and not some intelligence gathering service before I decided to join it.

How many circles do I want to go around just to join a forum to discuss conspiracies and have a laugh in BTS?

Up until now, we've all accepted each other and got on with discussing subjects that are dear to us - and it works.

People who start 'knowingly' accusing others of being shills can be a pain, because they don't name names and soon enough someone else will join in so they look clever too. 'We all know it happens' and 'We all know who they are'.

Well, I don't know - I just read stuff and weigh up the information and draw my own conclusions. BUT, I never get all my information from the members of ATS - I'm capable of looking further afield if I want a fuller picture. I even read books.

A few years ago we had a massive troll on here and some of us did our best to expose him, but we were open about it. Goodness knows why it took so much effort to convince anyone that a person who posted a picture of a talking flame was likely to be a troll, though...

edit on 22-2-2015 by berenike because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

All I see are people who want to silence those who don't agree with them by throwing around accusations and trying to bully people into silence.

What if they're the shills...

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   

so how do sites like twitter verify accounts>

How do you know for sure that they "verify" accounts?

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Agree...and just say Justin beiber gets his twitter account ticked as verified....how on this gods(lightly used) green earth do you really honestly know it is not his PA doing the commenting....as I know if I was him...I would not be wasting my day tweeting when I could be out getting drunk and driving my Lamborghini..... Just saying....

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   

A "verify" system gives the false sense of security.

You have an "account" and they "verify" you.

Now you automatically assume every name is "verified".

The Perfect comfort zone established within the corralled "herd zone" !!!!

Now somebody can pick you off in no time flat.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Closed pending Admin input......

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Could not agree more...also...say I am verified...and after time...I am approach by say NSA....they start to pay me cause I am weak and need money to stop my baby dying of cancer...I am now a verified shill...or like when they verify if your a child molester through criminal records...but if you have never been caught your not a risk....gives people that same false sense of security.... Verification in my opinion just doesn't work....and your correct...creates a herd mentality....well I guess it would get rid of someone like myself.....as I would defo think they only wanted robots onboard here and not free thinkers

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join