It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How is ANYONE supposed to get ahead nowadays?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge
a reply to: MiddleClassWhiteBoy

We need almost $10k in several months rent and security deposits just to rent a f'ng house! Wtf?

Where the hell are you moving to that you need 10k in advance payments to rent a house ??

Does it cost that much to rent a house anywhere in the country ?

If that's the case, how is anyone managing to rent a house in the US then ?

You don't need 10k anywhere in the US to start renting a home - if so you are looking WAY outside of your budget.

Typically it's first and last month rent + security deposit.

I think the OP is exaggerating.

OP - my tenants' lease is up in 8 months. I charge $1250 for rent, 4 bedroom 2 bathroom 1/3 acre lot with a nice yard and lots of fruit trees..

I ask first and last months rent + $1000 security deposit which is fully refundable if you don't wreck the place.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinkerHaus
I charge $1250 for rent, 4 bedroom 2 bathroom 1/3 acre lot with a nice yard and lots of fruit trees..

I ask first and last months rent + $1000 security deposit which is fully refundable if you don't wreck the place.

That's what I ask for my rentals but they are on an acre with 1/2 acre in irrigated garden and green house.
My tenants supplement their income nicely from the garden and greenhouse. I expect them to buy this place very soon.

Anyone wanting to dabble in the real estate mkt.....now is the time!

edit on 22-2-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: TinkerHaus

You don't need 10k anywhere in the US to start renting a home - if so you are looking WAY outside of your budget.

That's what I figured.

Either that, or the OP is attempting to rent a 3000 sq ft home in a high end gated community that's beyond their current means.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   
"Getting ahead" is the carrot on the stick dangled in front of faces to keep people from the awareness that they are barely only able to keep up.

I have nothing to lose or gain, I don't have to catch up and I can't fall behind.

Because I came up out of "Platos Cave".

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge

That's what I figured.

Either that, or the OP is attempting to rent a 3000 sq ft home in a high end gated community that's beyond their current means.

Indeed.

My wife and I lived in a series of crappy apartments before we bought our first house. Nothing that could be officially considered "slumming it" but small, utilitarian units.

We also had a variety of roommates over the years to help subsidize our rent and utilities. Working toward a goal means starting slow, building a foundation, and working up toward that goal - not just having your perfect situation from the start.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Sounds like you need to downsize for awhile, maybe a cheap apartment and put stuff in storage. Than save up the cash to get what you want, or, just get what you need.
In a year I have gone from an income of $250 k to $65k. And to tell you truth, I am the happiest I have ever been in my entire life !!! Living simply is so much more satisfying then trying to keep up with the Joneses.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Yup.

That's how most of us get to where we're at.

You start out by "slumming it", save money by whatever means necessary (roommates, living in crappy little apartments, etc), purchase your first ramshackle fixer-upper... and then work your way up from there.

No handouts, nobody giving you a leg up.

Most of us spend the first half of our lives living on soup and fried egg sandwiches, so that we can reap the benefits from it in the latter half of our lives.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Some people manage to get ahead in life, from poor to wealthy...
but even with the best ideas in the world it requires luck and knowing the right persons.

The other way, is having the right values to become rich.

-Opportunism with lack of empathy
-Overwhelming pride
-Manipulator
-Liar
-Selfishness
-Devious
-Deceitful

I really don't have those values. Oh well, at least I'm in peace with myself.
edit on 22-2-2015 by theMediator because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: theMediator
Some people manage to get ahead in life, from poor to wealthy...
but even with the best ideas in the world it requires luck and knowing the right persons.

That's BS! Hard work, intelligence, networking, research and the mental discipline to succeed, can also be a a way to get ahead without knowing anyone.

Granted luck helps....we make our own luck by being aware of opportunities and capitalizing on them.

Being a crybaby and blaming the system for not getting ahead pretty much insures your future.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Granted luck helps....we make our own luck by being aware.

I agree, I often say, 'luck is what you make of it'. If you keep putting yourself out there by networking, furthering your contacts, asking questions and pushing to be better the rewards always find you.

Complacency is the recipe for lack of success.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   

That's BS! Hard work, intelligence, networking, research can also be a a way to get ahead without knowing anyone.

How can you network without knowing anyone? That doesn't make sense.

Being aware can bring opportunities, if there is something to be aware of in the first place and...

according to the classic Noah Webster's dictionary, luck is "a purposeless, unpredictable and uncontrollable force that shapes events favorably or unfavorably for an individual, group or cause"

...no one can "make" their own luck, that's the whole point of the word luck.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   

How can you run a marathon standing still? You need to start somewhere.

I think the point he was making was that there is no 'luck' and that the more personal interactions you have with others the more opportunities will be available to you.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   

That's BS! Hard work, intelligence, networking, research can also be a a way to get ahead without knowing anyone.

Being aware can bring opportunities, if there is something to be aware of in the first place and...

according to the classic Noah Webster's dictionary, luck is "a purposeless, unpredictable and uncontrollable force that shapes events favorably or unfavorably for an individual, group or cause"

If you are comfortable with that loser philosophy of being defeated with out trying; I don't care!

I love the challenge of being an entrepreneur. I have made fortunes and I have also lost everything by getting heavily involved with drinking, drugs and gambling, but I have cleaned up, bounced back and having a great time with my current enterprises.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   
One of the things that I have seen with the current financial state of things is the fact that some poster here believe being successful or financially viable is a bad thing

The standard "oh wait, you enjoy what you do for a living then you are a slave" BS line that gets rolled out there.

I have also rented apartments for many years and can tell you short of downtown NYC or maybe LA you don't need 10k to rent anything.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: theMediator

You network by meeting people. You make an impression on them and they might invite you to meet someone else, and it just goes from there.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA
One of the things that I have seen with the current financial state of things is the fact that some poster here believe being successful or financially viable is a bad thing

The standard "oh wait, you enjoy what you do for a living then you are a slave" BS line that gets rolled out there.

I too have noticed the "victim" mentality is very popular. I'm aware that it does get sympathy and attention, thus perpetuating itself and becoming more popular. Perhaps it's a result of the angst fueled hipster mindset.
I know stoners that get up everyday with a bucket, paper towels and a squeegee and make real good money washing windows of businesses all the while totally baked. I respect those folks much more than those lazy ******* that are just to hip to even try.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

How can you run a marathon standing still? You need to start somewhere.

Ah damn, I guess my original phrase wasn't precise enough...

olaru12 said that "you don't need to know anyone" in the same phrase that he talks about networking...

The whole point of networking means knowing people. I didn't mean that negatively, I just inquired the definition of the word networking. I said that, you have to know the right people in order to get opportunities.

After I also pointed out that the definition of luck is strongly influenced by the fact that it's not controllable. That's the whole point of the existence of the word luck to begin with.

There is a difference between WORKING for opportunities and HAVING opportunities.
Working requires dedication, having will eventually require luck... it's inevitable. Without luck you could end up networking with the wrong people for who knows how long. I'm not being negative, I'm being true to the words and their meaning.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   

The whole point of networking means knowing people.

I disagree, the point of networking is getting to know people.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   

There is a difference between WORKING for opportunities and HAVING opportunities.
Working requires dedication, having will eventually require luck... it's inevitable. Without luck you could end up networking with the wrong people for who knows how long. I'm not being negative, I'm being true to the words and their meaning.

Yes you are being negative and quibbling over semantics won't get you very far if you really want to succeed. I can understand that the details interest you much more than the big picture. Fine....I'm sure you can find more negative details to keep you in that mindset you have chosen to be in....what ever that is.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   
And this is why I believe in elitism.

Once you concede defeat and start blaming the 'rigged' game, you have given up on any idea of ever making it.

But I also dont think that we're all created equal.
Some of us are born with the tools and resources to run a country and some of us are only born with the tools and resources to be a farmer/smith/police officer.

Point is, if you've already given up, then the tops not for you anyway.
edit on 22-2-2015 by Chickensalad because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join