It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Officials Declare ‘Eating Healthy’ A Mental Disorder

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 04:55 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Which article in particular? There are many in this recent wave.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 05:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity

I would assume the one in the OP you sourced. Since your OP shows a clear lack of understanding on the subject.

So who defines obsession? What if I don't want anything with pesticides or grown from Monsanto seeds in me? Am I obsessed?

No. And that has nothing to do with the proposed diagnosis. Someone only eating Monsanto could qualify.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 05:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

I would assume the one in the OP you sourced. Since your OP shows a clear lack of understanding on the subject.

So who defines obsession? What if I don't want anything with pesticides or grown from Monsanto seeds in me? Am I obsessed?

No. And that has nothing to do with the proposed diagnosis. Someone only eating Monsanto could qualify.

I sourced a few articles and questioned why now and who is pushing it. And alluded to the fact that this could be the start of another stupid social war.

Me being obsessed with not eating Monsanto poison was an example and a question as to who decides if that makes me mentally ill.

And asked why we need a special disorder for those obsessed with eating healthy, why single this out when it's already covered by psychiatry.

And again, where is the proposed classification of the obsession with eating junk food to balance this out? And why does the obsession with healthy eating need to be singled out on its own?

ETA: Do we need scary sounding things to be diagnosed with? And why? Who might benefit? Is this an evil plot? If I didn't make that clear enough, my mistake. I sometimes don't get down in words what is in my mind as I'm thinking about something.
edit on 2/23/2015 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 05:22 AM
link   

The purpose of this article was to describe the phenomenon of a new disorder called orthorexia nervosa.

This paper proposes a theoretical framework for the definitions, prevalence, diagnostic criteria, method
and treatment of orthorexia. This disturbing behaviour concerns the pathologic obsession for healthy nutrition.

In contrast to eating disorders, people with orthorexia are obsessed with food quality rather than
quantity and they do not care excessively for thin silhouette like in the case of patients with anorexia and
bulimia nervosa. Individuals with orthorexia nervosa are obsessive about healthy food, leading to dietary
restrictions and to a variety of negative psychological and social outcomes. The results of previous research
show that on the one hand orthorexia is related to anorexia and bulimia nervosa, and on the other
hand this syndrome is more closely allied with obsessive-compulsive disorders. In view of the studies
presented here we could treat orthorexia as a disturbed eating habit which is connected with obsessive-
-compulsive symptoms.

food restriction / health food / eating attitude [Source]

It's a compulsion. How common? Check out the 'Prevalence" section too.

Recent articles are just pointing out that this could be abused and pushed to further divide. And to whose benefit might that be? Who is pushing it and why are more my concern. Shrinks gotta shrink, Big Food and Big Pharma have to sell.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 05:26 AM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

Just another example of societal control where people are categorised and labeled accordingly as being 'outside of the societal norm' and that usually means throwing a mental health label their way too.
See also: conspiracy theorists / paranoid delusional
See also: spiritual medium / schizophrenic
See also: political activist / extreme left wing hippy
See also: anon ops / malicious hackers
See also: psychonaut / mentalist

The list goes on.

All in the name of regulating society while ensuring the corporate pockets are lined and the sheeple are unhealthy because if we were all fed organic food we'd probably all be much healthier and perhaps certain diseases would dissappear.

But wait that doesn't help societal/population control so best label organic eaters abnormal too.

The question is are people going to challenge this or just complain in this forum then move along with their lives?

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 05:31 AM
link   
a reply to: daftpink

Yes, exactly. You said it better than my feeble attempts.

My guess is that people are challenging it, and pretty hard, and they don't like it and so they're doing what you said. Attempting to marginalize.

Bill Maher makes a great point quite frequently in asking, "What doctor ever asks you what you eat?" (Aside from allergists if you seek them out, and even then it's scattershot and guesswork).

No doctor has ever asked me that. Any dietary changes or adjustments we make to fix borderline type II diabetes or blood pressure issues and the like, at least here in the U.S. you seem to have to make on your own. Even when you ask, the best you can hope from from your doc is, "Yeah you could try that, but better take these pills too just in case."

Food is such a fundamental and important thing, and yet they'd rather push the pills that result from bad eating than help you focus on eating right.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 06:04 AM
link   

And asked why we need a special disorder for those obsessed with eating healthy, why single this out when it's already covered by psychiatry.

Because it has recently become a more serious problem is usually the reason. It's not about eating healthy, it's about NOT eating healthy because of a false perception of what healthy food is. Someone who thinks the only healthy food is Monsanto GM corn and eats only that corn to "eat healthy" is someone who would qualify. Someone who researches a well balanced diet because they want to be healthy, and they are actually eating healthy, would not qualify. These are people who are malnourished and starving themselves.

And again, where is the proposed classification of the obsession with eating junk food to balance this out? And why does the obsession with healthy eating need to be singled out on its own?

Who starves and dies because they are obsessed with junk food? Can you show me examples?

ETA: Do we need scary sounding things to be diagnosed with? And why? Who might benefit? Is this an evil plot? If I didn't make that clear enough, my mistake. I sometimes don't get down in words what is in my mind as I'm thinking about something.

Yes, we do. Whether this is needed is debatable, but we do need psychiatric diagnoses, or people die.

Again, these are people who are so obsessed with "health food" that they refuse to eat most foods and the little they do eat leaves them malnourished to the point they are at risk for death. These are NOT healthy people.

ETA: I want to make sure I am clear that debating whether this is needed is more than fine, it's what should happen. Linking this to some GMO Monsanto plot is sheer ignorance.
edit on 23-2-2015 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Bill Maher makes a great point quite frequently in asking, "What doctor ever asks you what you eat?" (Aside from allergists if you seek them out, and even then it's scattershot and guesswork).

Very true. I am always telling my co-workers (who are all in healthcare we work at a hospital) their diet sucks and they need to change it. They eat fast food and processed crap constantly.

I almost exclusively eat home made food, no processed junk, I stay away from GMO as much as possible, hormones and antibiotics ... it's near impossible to completely do, but I am fairly good at it.
edit on 23-2-2015 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 06:17 AM
link   

That's a good point. Both the focus on GMOs and things like pesticides and hormones and the inability to find wholesome food easily may be pushing people with obsessive tendencies over the edge. But again I'd like to see the numbers.

No one who eats bad food starves and dies
They get fat or get diabetes or get heart disease or cancer and die.

Why they don't forge into the one categorization (junk food obsession) and do into the other (healthy food obsession) might be because there's more money to be made by clinically pointing out one over the other.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 06:19 AM
link   

I would not worry that much about the new attempt coming from the corrupted food poisoning manufacturing businessusing their dirty money to pay off for propaganda, no only the companies involved have the government into their pockets as usual but their minions control many of the government departments this days that deal with our illustrious food sources.

As usual those that are not affected by calculated and specific geared and targeted propaganda will see the whole issue for what it is, a weak and pitiful attempt to make those that are falling for the food manufacturing disease feel better on their failing health.

After all now that we got Obama crap I mean Obama care is ok to eat their poison because you will get to see the doctor to give you all the medications you will need to feel better while killing your body with crap.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 06:21 AM
link   

The poisoning food manufacturing and big pharma complement each other, one keep feeding the other.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 06:41 AM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

Of course they do.

Which is why the debate about obesity rages on while the answer about "eating healthy" seems to be less of a debate among them. Less. Neither is classified as DSM-5...yet.

Is Obesity a Psychiatric Disorder?

Although debates about how to define a mental disorder have been ongoing for years, the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 5th Edition (DSM-5) has recently given an updated, if still imperfect, definition of mental disorder as “a syndrome characterized by clinically significant disturbance in an individual’s cognition, emotion regulation, or behavior that reflects a dysfunction in the psychological, biological, or developmental processes underlying mental functioning.” Put more simply, psychiatry’s domain includes aberrant mental states and behaviors that are associated with impaired functioning.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 06:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Answer
Next, they should address the issue of people who are addicted to working out, posting gym-selfies, and flooding social media with idiotic "inspirational quotes" plastered on pictures of people working out.

That behavior seems much more like a mental disorder to me.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 08:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Answer
Next, they should address the issue of people who are addicted to working out, posting gym-selfies, and flooding social media with idiotic "inspirational quotes" plastered on pictures of people working out.

That behavior seems much more like a mental disorder to me.

There was actually a study (in the summer of 2013 I think it was) that strongly implied there are links between excessive selfie taking and having sociopathic/psychopathic traits.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: VigiliaProcuratio
a reply to: Bone75

Well, if it has grown out of the ground with proper soil then I'm not overly concerned. What does bother me is the meat.

Just so you know, a 100 yard trek through one of those fields had me throwing up with a migraine. That's how full of poison their "proper soil" is.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Xaphan

I think it was a hoax

But I have have no doubt there is some narcissistic personality disorder involved in there somewhere. But TPTB would ever want this classified. It distracts people just enough. LOL

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: OrphanApology

I can't even eat bread without getting a stomach ache.

Have you seen this? The Real Problem With Bread (It's Probably Not Gluten)

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

That's not good. Hayfever is bad enough anyway so if 'pollen' is causing a migraine then something is a tad awry.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   

I can't remember if my mom's slow rising homemade bread from back in the day made my stomach hurt.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I'm very confident people aren't going to be diagnosed with a mental health disorder because they eat healthy...there probably is a growing trend of people being over the top obsessive-compulsive about it, in a way that goes way beyond just 'eating healthy'...why do people always have to be so reactive, and draw far-reaching conclusions based on every little thing...
edit on 23-2-2015 by TheJourney because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join