It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Officials Declare ‘Eating Healthy’ A Mental Disorder

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Iamthatbish
a reply to: GoShredAK
I simply took it as an excuse not to get upset over being unable to get rid of sugar. I'm totally addicted to sweets. I am a sugar crystal.

It's all good! I don't think I'm better than anybody, I just believe our health is our wealth, and healthy body leads to healthy mind and spirit....

Good news is......I may have found your home, and possibly your people.....

images6.fanpop.com...

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge
Totally. But can we blame them entirely when so many are for sale? Doctors, Congress, the list goes on.

a reply to: BASSPLYR
I don't even want to know what that is. LOL

a reply to: TheLaughingGod
No doubt. And always a key indicator on what to watch for, I'd say.

edit on 2/22/2015 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Wow. This is just one more reason for me to believe that the field of psychiatry is total bullcrap. I'm sure they'll come up with a name for that as well... if they haven't already.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
a reply to: akushla99

Sometimes I am and sometimes I am not a fan of the UN. In this case I might be with them. Article from November.

United Nations Calls for an End to Industrialized Farming

In 2013, the United Nations announced that the world's agricultural needs can be met with localized organic farms. That's right, we do not need giant monocultures that pour, spray and coat our produce with massive amounts of poisons, only to create mutant pests and weeds while decimating pollinators and harming human health. Don't believe the hype: We do not need genetically modified foods "to feed the world."

From my experience, many of these - how shall we call them - "worker bees" (i.e the GMO salesmen) who work for these companies and spread this propaganda, actually believe conventional tactics are necessary to ensure food security. They've drunk the Kool-Aid and cannot envision another possibility. The changes threaten their very existence.

These farms are under attack. Look at the shelves in your local stores. More and more organics and non-GMOs at cheaper prices. People are noticing, speaking out and making a difference.

And you know these killer corps are worried.

Agreed. That link is all too obvious. Unfortunately, psycho-wise - they are all implicit in the syndrome they describe...case of foot in mouth writ large...

Å99

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

Orthorexia nervosa, or in other words, being worried about the fact that our food is rapidly becoming pure junk and poison.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   
That movie made me sooooo hungry!!!

And, the article did say they have an Rx for that. That would indeed make sugar the gateway drug.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

I was talking about my belief that psychiatry is bullcrap, is that a condition as well?
Sorry I guess I should've worded it differently.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   

I guess these are the same people who said saturated fat causes heart disease and that we need to eat bread all day to be healthy?

Yeah...I think I'll pass on believing anything coming out of that camp in the future including new made up mental illnesses.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I wouldn't go so far as to label it a mental disorder and there are real issues with our food supply and GMOs etc. but I have to agree Americans are a little obsessed with food and healthy eating. Seriously! Many people are becoming OCD about every little ingredient etc. I see this a lot among moms and women. It's definitely an obsession with women (and men) who are heavily into fitness and cross fit. "Eating clean" to achieve the S curve body. These women are obsessed to the point that every aspect of their life revolves around taking selfies, pictures of their food, eating @clean" etc. also people are so ridiculously obsessed with gluten free, etc. women are so saturated fat, cholesterol, animal product phobic yes I would say it borders on mental disorder. And in fact many women need to eat more of all that to be healthier.
I see these young mid 20 year olds at my work come in every morning with their nasty green juice whatever concoctions! They are rail thin and dying to be skinny. God forbid they have a bagel with cream cheese or eggs and bacon for breakfast. These Nekter shops are popping up all over my area and they offer all these juice crap drinks that aren't even organic. Their biggest customers are fat phobic image obsessed women!

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: OrphanApology

Yep. Eggs and fat are good for us again! I guess it all depends on who's advertising and lobbying budget is biggest this year.

Just trust your body and your gut.

We all know the processed stuff is poison, that Monsanto is killing us, that fast food isn't good for us or real food, not matter how they market or disguise it with (other) fake flavors, and that we should eat real and balanced and in moderation.

There is no excuse not to know. Whatever choice you make from there...well that's up to you.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Also that show Portlandia has some hilarious examples of so called orthorexia.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75
POST REMOVED BY STAFF

If it's who I'm thinking, he and I already went a couple of rounds.

As for this "disorder?" I'm sure a few people might have it. Very few. And for them it might be a very real issue. But as I said in the OP, it probably is a manisfestation to at least one if not more underlying disorders.

edit on Sun Feb 22 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: MiddleClassWhiteBoy

It pains me to burst your bubble... I'm a chubby vegan. We are out there you know.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   

It pains me to burst your bubble... I'm a chubby vegan. We are out there you know.

Kinda figured

I actually read this a few years ago. I celebrated, yes celebrated by making cupcakes.

Only seen that once, but in that one episode they were very obsessed with free-range chickens or something. LOL

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   

It's like the whole low-fat thing.

Here we were told that you need to eat tons of bread(carbs), fruit(carbs), vegetable oils and avoid all fat and that is supposed to be healthy.

Now years later meta studies have proved all of that to be complete junk yet the officials have yet to make an official announcement. Meanwhile people are dying of heart disease at high numbers due to this unhealthy fear of the good fats while stuffing their faces with sugar filled frankenfoods laced with genetic changes and pesticides.

I'll take my bacon and eggs.

It's funny, I grew up in the generation that was just at the heart of when they started the whole "saturated fat" is evil thing. But as a child I never liked any of the foods on the pyramid and loved fat, meat and vegetables like broccoli.

I can't even eat bread without getting a stomach ache.

If being concerned on a regular basis is now a mental illness, then I guess we're all doomed.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Whew, I thought I would be like telling you there was no Santa!

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I drink my organic grass fed milk and down my free range organic whatever eggs and eat organic berries but I also..... as evil as it may be.......eat those poison things called Eggo waffles! HEll God forbid I have an occasional GMO Hershey bar instead of Voges chocolate bar for $6.99! Lol get my point???

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: OrphanApology
Totally agree. It's about balance.

We have always used real butter, real eggs, real bacon, real fruits and veggies, all with as little junk in them as we can get.

It pisses me off royally that we even have to worry about not getting real food now. But I don't mind taking the extra time and spending the extra money. Food is what fuels us. Eat to live, not live to eat.

ETA: Full disclosure, I did have a Krispy Kreme with my veggie/fruit smoothie this morning. Because it was there. And it's probably not going to kill me

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: OrphanApology

It's like the whole low-fat thing.

Here we were told that you need to eat tons of bread(carbs), fruit(carbs), vegetable oils and avoid all fat and that is supposed to be healthy.

Now years later meta studies have proved all of that to be complete junk yet the officials have yet to make an official announcement. Meanwhile people are dying of heart disease at high numbers due to this unhealthy fear of the good fats while stuffing their faces with sugar filled frankenfoods laced with genetic changes and pesticides.

I'll take my bacon and eggs.

It's funny, I grew up in the generation that was just at the heart of when they started the whole "saturated fat" is evil thing. But as a child I never liked any of the foods on the pyramid and loved fat, meat and vegetables like broccoli.

I can't even eat bread without getting a stomach ache.

If being concerned on a regular basis is now a mental illness, then I guess we're all doomed.

They aren't describing people who are assertive and proactive about what they eat. They are talking about people that are so OCD about what they put in their body to the point it consumes so much of their energy, thoughts, etc. and gives them anxiety and fear if they don't eat the perfect food all the time.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join