It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teen hooks massive 1,058 lb blue marlin off Hawaii coast

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 06:00 AM
link   
From CNN
The catch of a Lifetime!

Teen hauls in 1,058-pound Marlin
A New York City teenager made the biggest catch of his life when he reeled in a 1,058-pound blue marlin off the coast of Hawaii.

Kai Rizzuto's catch came in about 300 pounds short of the International Game Fish Association's 1982 world record for blue marlin, which was caught in nearby Kaaiwi Point, about 10 miles up the Kona coast.

"It was jumping straight out of the water, fully breached, shaking its head trying to free itself," Kai told CNN. "I was really hoping and praying that nothing would happen to this fish and that it wouldn't break off [the line]."

It took Kai about 30 minutes to reel in the fish, which was so long that the tail end of it was hanging off the 45-foot boat, Jim Rizzuto said. From there, it took four people to lift the fish into the boat.

"This fish came to the boat dead, upside down on its back, there was no chance of reviving it," he said. "By and large, we try and release every blue marlin we can as a conservation measure, but sometimes in a hard fight the fish dies and there is nothing you can do."

Instead, the fish will be used for food, Rizzuto said. He estimates it can feed "a couple of hundred people."

"Blue marlin is a high-quality protein. They have been eaten here forever, so when we get a very special fish like this, you turn it over to a fish cutter that makes sure everyone who wants a piece gets a piece."

I am also happy to read they try to catch and release when possible...
Chalk it up to beginners luck! SMH... lol
edit on 2/22/2015 by DjembeJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Cool find and a nice catch. Getting hungry just looking at it. Thats it im going to Samurai Sushi tonight.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Seems a bit of a waste of a impressive creature and doubt they will eat it.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 06:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: SpaceWizard

So, true. Most everyone hunts for sport these days and rarely because of hunger.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 06:45 AM
link   

from the article..I should have included this I guess.

"Blue marlin is a high-quality protein. They have been eaten here forever, so when we get a very special fish like this, you turn it over to a fish cutter that makes sure everyone who wants a piece gets a piece."
have now adjusted the thread..

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 06:57 AM
link   
a reply to: DjembeJedi
Surprising they are not considered a table fish down my way.
I have heard they have been eaten for long time by Hawaiian locals, but this kid from New york and probably just wants to get it stuffed and mounted (probably not on wall).

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: DjembeJedi

Wow,that thing is a small whale...and here I am bragging to my friends about catching a 7 pounder.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Given sea contamination is a big problem we need to make sure that it is safe for human consumption. please send me about half of it for...testing...totally legit i promise!

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 08:13 AM
link   
photoshopped.
fIsh fIngers.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 08:39 AM
link   
bit of a weird thing tho isnt it, catch one of the best surviving of the species, with the intent to return it for the good of the species so you can catch more, for the sake of saying you caught it, only to kill it in the process.

anyone see a bit of logic fail here?

edit on b0000908 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 10:02 AM
link   
It happens sometimes.

Mot bill fish programs do practice catch and release when they can, but sometimes, a fish dies and there is nothing you can do about it. I've watched Jeremy Wade's show since they put it on, and he catches and releases faithfully. But when they went fishing for Goliath Tiger Fish in Africa the fish died after the fight, and it wasn't even his longest fight either. The locals ate the fish though, so it wasn't wasted.

Different kinds of fish are sensitive to different levels of stress, and even different individuals will react differently. There is just no way to know. The same thing applies to when biologists tranq animals to do research on them.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Surprising they are not considered a table fish down my way.

I try to buy it whenever it is available, marlin is delicious.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: IShotMyLastMuse
Given sea contamination is a big problem we need to make sure that it is safe for human consumption. please send me about half of it for...testing...totally legit i promise!

Be very careful on that one; the US Government does not like competition….

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   
And that fish is NOT the record....OMG! That sized animal with a giant spear at the front must have ruled the Ocean! The incredible speed and deadly weapon....outrageous!

Makes me sad to see Her pass on. I say Her because that size tends to be female. 20 years old up to 30 years possibly.

www.lahainanews.com...

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: noeltrotsky

At that size she probably spawned many times. So her genes are out there.

new topics

top topics

join